Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Not getting advertised speed of 2133mhz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Not getting advertised speed of 2133mhz - Page 3

post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDizzurp View Post

Tuning or overclockimg your system is one thing but your RAM should work with XMP without any sort of tweaking otherwise you're not getting what you paid for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Wrong! Depending on your Mobo or CPU, you may not be able to reach RAM speeds of 2133MHz, even with XMP enabled. And, even if it does boot with RAM at 2133MHz, there is no guaranty that it is stable with the components the RAM is working with.

This is really a topic you should take over to tweaktown, those guys over there are the best at helping stabilize an OC, whether it be memory or CPU OCs.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

Wrong! Depending on your Mobo or CPU, you may not be able to reach RAM speeds of 2133MHz, even with XMP enabled. And, even if it does boot with RAM at 2133MHz, there is no guaranty that it is stable with the components the RAM is working with.

This is really a topic you should take over to tweaktown, those guys over there are the best at helping stabilize an OC, whether it be memory or CPU OCs.

The problem here is that they combined the intel and amd memory subforums a while back. I'm not sure whose genius idea that was, but it really hurts amd users because the platforms behave so differently with memory so you get a lot of derps making uninformed posts. Then, of course, there is a mentality here that a newbie should read the stickies and wealth of guides around here before you can get any help. A lot of newbies don't even know the right question to ask. I was in that situation before, we all were. I really need to get off my butt and write an AMD memory tuning guide to pay it back... There aren't that many people knowledgeable in the area, and even fewer that want to spend the time to help because memory tuning is such a bear. I know some guys that are experts at it, but they are dicks, and that says a lot coming from me.
Edited by damric - 3/28/14 at 12:14pm
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

You might know what you were talking about if this was an Intel platform.

XMP doesn't work with AMD? I've never built an AMD machine so I wouldn't know
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDizzurp View Post

XMP doesn't work with AMD? I've never built an AMD machine so I wouldn't know

It works occasionally. Not your fault. Like I said, they should not have combined the subforums.
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

Wrong! Depending on your Mobo or CPU, you may not be able to reach RAM speeds of 2133MHz, even with XMP enabled. And, even if it does boot with RAM at 2133MHz, there is no guaranty that it is stable with the components the RAM is working with.

This is really a topic you should take over to tweaktown, those guys over there are the best at helping stabilize an OC, whether it be memory or CPU OCs.

His MoBo handles 2133mhz without OC. His CPU has native 2133mhz support without OC. His RAM is advertized at 2133mhz. In this case, all should work well without any bottlenecking when it comes to RAM.

Anyway, as noticed above, apparently it works differently with AMD and isn't as easy as enabling XMP.
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

The problem here is that they combined the intel and amd memory subforums a while back. I'm not sure whose genius idea that was, but it really hurts amd users because the platforms behave so differently with memory so you get a lot of derps making uninformed posts. Then, of course, there is a mentality here that a newbie should read the stickies and wealth of guides around here before you can get any help. A lot of newbies don't even know the right question to ask. I was in that situation before, we all were. I really need to get off my butt and write an AMD memory tuning guide to pay it back... There aren't that many people knowledgeable in the area, and even fewer that want to spend the time to help because memory tuning is such a bear. I know some guys that are experts at it, but they are dicks, and that says a lot coming from me.
I wanted to build my first OC PC, but I was ignorant. After some initial reading and postings I was given a link by Tweaktown resident LSDmeASAP. The post detailed how important it is to get memory that the Mobo manufacture has tested with their product, this is to help ensure compatibility and stability. Not saying unlisted RAM is unstable or not compatible, as some aftermarket, non-tested modules, will OC and stabilize just fine.

I have found that close to 2/3 of memory related errors from users building their own OC PC's was due to buying memory outside of the manufacturers tested and listed recommended modules.

So, now my question for OP is; did you buy your memory off of the Mobo manufactures recommended memory module list?
Edited by PDXMark - 3/28/14 at 12:57pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDizzurp View Post

Anyway, as noticed above, apparently it works differently with AMD and isn't as easy as enabling XMP.
As I just realized this too, seems that memory manufacturers are not advising or stipulating on AMD configuration; also, a lack of written test list around AMD CPU's for consumers. So AMD is getting pinched for no noticeable reason regarding memory compatibility... Which means there may be not current understanding on the consumer level as what will work well with AMD CPU's... And that is just not good for consumers, AMD's market and builders!

Edit: Hope a solution appears on the market soon.
Edited by PDXMark - 3/28/14 at 1:03pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

I wanted to build my first OC PC, but I was ignorant. After some initial reading and postings I was given a link by Tweaktown resident LSDmeASAP. The post detailed how important it is to get memory that the Mobo manufacture has tested with their product, this is to help ensure compatibility and stability. Not saying unlisted RAM is unstable or not compatible, as some aftermarket, non-tested modules, will OC and stabilize just fine.

I have found that close to 2/3 of memory related errors from users building their own OC PC's was due to buying memory outside of the manufacturers tested and listed recommended modules.

So, now my question for OP is; did you buy your memory off of the Mobo manufactures recommended memory module list?

The tech over at the G.Skill forum says the qvl lists are BS. They mobo techs take a single 2133 stick and qualify it on the mobo by running it at default jedec specs and say "yup, it works". They don't specify how many sticks in the kit they actually ran or at what speed and timings they actually ran them at, or what CPU changes they had to make, just that they "qualify" a particular kit.
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

The tech over at the G.Skill forum says the qvl lists are BS. They mobo techs take a single 2133 stick and qualify it on the mobo by running it at default jedec specs and say "yup, it works". They don't specify how many sticks in the kit they actually ran or at what speed and timings they actually ran them at, or what CPU changes they had to make, just that they "qualify" a particular kit.
Is this just regarding AMD CPU's, all of them; or just the qvl being an advertising fantasy?
post #30 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

I wanted to build my first OC PC, but I was ignorant. After some initial reading and postings I was given a link by Tweaktown resident LSDmeASAP. The post detailed how important it is to get memory that the Mobo manufacture has tested with their product, this is to help ensure compatibility and stability. Not saying unlisted RAM is unstable or not compatible, as some aftermarket, non-tested modules, will OC and stabilize just fine.

I have found that close to 2/3 of memory related errors from users building their own OC PC's was due to buying memory outside of the manufacturers tested and listed recommended modules.

So, now my question for OP is; did you buy your memory off of the Mobo manufactures recommended memory module list?

Yeah man I check the motherboard manufacturing memory support list. The ram is listed there as one of the ram that support this motherboard. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g1.sniper-a88x.pdf There shouldn't really be an issued to be honest my build is pretty much well capeable of handling the advertised speed of 2133mhz natively without even OCing it. I shouldn't really be OCing, I shouldn't even have to.

I agreed with damric, is just false advertising and unfair business practices by big corporations to sells more of their products.

Right now i've been getting the advertised speed of 2133mhz with increased DRAM voltage of 1.6v. So far there hasn't been any hiccup. But thats what I said before with 1.57v and it crash few hours later. We'll see how this goes. Need to do more rigorous testing to see if I can get 100% stable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Not getting advertised speed of 2133mhz