Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First new build in 5 years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First new build in 5 years

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hey folks

Looking into building my first new proper rig in almost five years. Currently using my laptop as in my sig since my original rig died two years ago. So now I'm thinking about a new build.



So far thrown this together. Looking around the £700-800 mark give or take. Could go to £1000 mark but would prefer not to.

I'm settled on the chosen case but I'm open for all suggestions on the other parts. Still need a recommended CPU heatsink.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
You dont need more then a 450 watts PSU for that system and since i dont have much time i am just going to leave this here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

You would be better off with a Seasonic G or the semi modular Cooler Master V or the XFX XTR if you can find that
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Cool Thanks! Will look into a 450-550W PSU.
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Do you plan on using multiple displays? If not, the 4GB of VRAM might be a bit overkill.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalkayoss View Post

Do you plan on using multiple displays? If not, the 4GB of VRAM might be a bit overkill.

I have a 2GB 760 and I play games at 1920x1200 while also streaming netflix on a second 1280x1024 monitor - I can say that I do seem to run out of VRAM in some games (Rome 2 Total War comes to mind). I'd say the 4GB is a good idea for future proofing.

I remember a lot of people on this forum thought my GTX 275 1.7GB (double VRAM) was overkill back in 2010, but boy were they wrong. I didn't have to upgrade that thing until last summer.
Light Websurfing
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.3GHz i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100ME 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung EVO 850 500GB Samsung EVO 840 ASUS DVD Burner Noctua DH-15S 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro, Full Seiki Pro 40" 4K Samsung Syncmaster 2693HM EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i7-4710HQ Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Nvidia 870m 16 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
3x 128GB SSD 1TB HDD Windows 8.1 Samsung Syncmaster 24" 
Mouse
Raxer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Websurfing
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.3GHz i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100ME 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung EVO 850 500GB Samsung EVO 840 ASUS DVD Burner Noctua DH-15S 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro, Full Seiki Pro 40" 4K Samsung Syncmaster 2693HM EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i7-4710HQ Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Nvidia 870m 16 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
3x 128GB SSD 1TB HDD Windows 8.1 Samsung Syncmaster 24" 
Mouse
Raxer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3irmS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3irmS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3irmS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£90.80 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£55.83 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case (£63.90 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£68.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £669.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 13:19 GMT+0000)
Or this Mobo
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CUCRKO0?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Better parts with the same money

Which is your budget for a heatsink?
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalkayoss View Post

Do you plan on using multiple displays? If not, the 4GB of VRAM might be a bit overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalkayoss View Post

Do you plan on using multiple displays? If not, the 4GB of VRAM might be a bit overkill.

I have a 2GB 760 and I play games at 1920x1200 while also streaming netflix on a second 1280x1024 monitor - I can say that I do seem to run out of VRAM in some games (Rome 2 Total War comes to mind). I'd say the 4GB is a good idea for future proofing.

I remember a lot of people on this forum thought my GTX 275 1.7GB (double VRAM) was overkill back in 2010, but boy were they wrong. I didn't have to upgrade that thing until last summer.

Not at the moment, but yeah I would be thinking of it in the future, or at least future proofing the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3irmS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3irmS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3irmS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£90.80 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£55.83 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case (£63.90 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£68.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £669.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 13:19 GMT+0000)
Or this Mobo
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CUCRKO0?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Better parts with the same money

Which is your budget for a heatsink?

Thanks! Excellent, really appreciate the feedback! I don't have a budget for a heatsink, but it will be air cooling. Not looking for watercooling.
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12

All i can say is stay away from AsRock theyr waranty service and waranty time brings way to many doubts about the product

post #9 of 12
This is the best heatsink atm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BQ8A6HW?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

This is the 2nd better
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-099-TR&campaign=affiliate/tag

The 3rd
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/phanteks-cpu-performance-cooler-premium-blue-edition-w-2x-140mm-blue-silent-fans-all-intel-amd

4th
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-he01-heligon-cpu-cooler-6-heat-pipes-and-140mm-silent-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-2011-am2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TMG8G4?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

http://ebuyer.com/195165
http://ebuyer.com/348998

5th
Nh u14s
Thermalright archon sb-e


Difference between one to each other 1-3c,the source fits all these heatsink where the c70 dont

PD1.Check my guide
PD2.Even with the best heatsink after 4.4ghz clock you will need to delid your cpu and replace the TIM on the IHS with Coollaboratory liquid. Pro or ultra
Edited by PontiacGTX - 3/30/14 at 6:44am
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

This is the best heatsink atm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BQ8A6HW?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

This is the 2nd better
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-099-TR&campaign=affiliate/tag

The 3rd
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/phanteks-cpu-performance-cooler-premium-blue-edition-w-2x-140mm-blue-silent-fans-all-intel-amd

4th
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-he01-heligon-cpu-cooler-6-heat-pipes-and-140mm-silent-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-2011-am2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TMG8G4?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

http://ebuyer.com/195165
http://ebuyer.com/348998

5th
Nh u14s
Thermalright archon sb-e


Difference between one to each other 1-3c,the source fits all these heatsink where the c70 dont

PD1.Check my guide
PD2.Even with the best heatsink after 4.4ghz clock you will need to delid your cpu and replace the TIM on the IHS with Coollaboratory liquid. Pro or ultra

Thanks! I actually had a Akasa Venom in my old rig and I used one in my younger brothers system.
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First new build in 5 years