Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [GSM ARENA] Android twice as stable as iOS, study shows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GSM ARENA] Android twice as stable as iOS, study shows - Page 2

post #11 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

The sample size is 1 billion.

I think the issue at hand is not specifying how many of that 1 billion were Android or Apple.
Uncle Blazer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 965 C3 Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 Radeon HD 5870 Radeon HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Sniper DDR3 Crucial C300 SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue Enzotech/HW Labs Custom Water Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 HP LED 23" 1080P Razer Lycosa Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Logitech G5 Razer Goliathus Speed Creative X-Fi Fatality Series/Sennheiser HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
Uncle Blazer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 965 C3 Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 Radeon HD 5870 Radeon HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Sniper DDR3 Crucial C300 SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue Enzotech/HW Labs Custom Water Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 HP LED 23" 1080P Razer Lycosa Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Logitech G5 Razer Goliathus Speed Creative X-Fi Fatality Series/Sennheiser HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 124
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYUM!!! WHAT NOW CUZ!?!?!?
Ereshkigal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS P5B DELUXE EVGA 8800GTS 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
western digital 200GBSATA XP SP2 Home 19" generic Saitek Eclipse Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
stock 410W / TT dedicated GPU 250W PSU INWIN x710 Logitech MX1000 ... Uhhhh my desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Ereshkigal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS P5B DELUXE EVGA 8800GTS 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
western digital 200GBSATA XP SP2 Home 19" generic Saitek Eclipse Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
stock 410W / TT dedicated GPU 250W PSU INWIN x710 Logitech MX1000 ... Uhhhh my desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorguy View Post

I think the issue at hand is not specifying how many of that 1 billion were Android or Apple.

Or manufacturer or what actually crashed..
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i5 6500 ASRock H110M-DGS XFX RX480 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB HP Blu-ray Corsair H55 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Apple 24" LED Cinema Display Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair CX550M 
CaseMouse
Rosewill SRM-01 Corsair M45 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i5 6500 ASRock H110M-DGS XFX RX480 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB HP Blu-ray Corsair H55 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Apple 24" LED Cinema Display Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair CX550M 
CaseMouse
Rosewill SRM-01 Corsair M45 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJX View Post

At the very end, they have a 'methodology' section, I quote it below in its entirety:
Needless to say, a few slides from a company marketing some product isn't the most reliable source. Just goes to show you what tech 'journalism' is like these days. Furthermore, anyone who makes any sort of claims favouring one mega corporation over another is just shilling for whatever shiny toy they like most, because if they bothered to look at the source they'd know it's junk.

I seen that, and it isn't what I am looking for. What I wanted to see was something along the lines of X amount of iOS and X amount of Android devices were sampled. I would also love to see the breakdown on them by manufacturer.

Obviously Apple is Apple, but did they only sample Samsung and HTC? Did they not include the billion other cheap Android devices, which are known for crashing? What exactly is their data based off? They aren't telling us that, which makes me want to toss the entire "report".
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

The sample size is 1 billion.

Not detailed enough, sorry. See my above statement.

EDIT:

Sorry, if you want to publish a study and make claims like this, you better have a mountain of data to back it up. Simply saying "1,000,000,000" devices isn't enough. What is the ratio of Android to Apple in that sample? What manufacturers are you sampling? Detail, details are important in this sort of paper. At least if you want people to take it seriously.
Edited by PostalTwinkie - 3/28/14 at 12:44pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

This should have been known for quite a while. In my experience, the main difference is in how crashes are managed - iOS generally hides the crash reports for a smoother user experience while Android generally tells you when things have gone awry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I seen that, and it isn't what I am looking for. What I wanted to see was something along the lines of X amount of iOS and X amount of Android devices were sampled. I would also love to see the breakdown on them by manufacturer.

Obviously Apple is Apple, but did they only sample Samsung and HTC? Did they not include the billion other cheap Android devices, which are known for crashing? What exactly is their data based off? They aren't telling us that, which makes me want to toss the entire "report".
Not detailed enough, sorry. See my above statement.

EDIT:

Sorry, if you want to publish a study and make claims like this, you better have a mountain of data to back it up. Simply saying "1,000,000,000" devices isn't enough. What is the ratio of Android to Apple in that sample? What manufacturers are you sampling? Detail, details are important in this sort of paper. At least if you want people to take it seriously.

Seems like you have an Iphone lol.... Oh now I remember you in every IOS thread.

The study is android vs IOS. Not Apple vs samsunf/HTC and others.

Software Google makes vs Software Apple makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

or what actually crashed..

Yes this would be useful.
Edited by bencher - 3/28/14 at 12:56pm
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post


Seems like you have an Iphone lol.... Oh now I remember you in every IOS thread.

The study is android vs IOS. Not Apple vs samsunf/HTC and others.

Software Google makes vs Software Apple makes.

You are right, I purchased an iPhone for the first time back this last November, because my half a dozen other Android devices from the likes of Samsung were crap. But it is OK, you can try and make personal attacks because you don't have anything else to stand on, doesn't bother me any.

I will continue to call out terrible articles when I see them, and ask for the actual data that isn't being published.

EDIT:

Oh, and your "Software Google makes vs Software Apple makes", isn't actually valid. If you understand anything, it would be that the individual manufacturers that get Android HEAVILY modify the OS to their liking.

So the reality is that it is Apple vs (insert any manufacturer that carries Android), because they all modify it. The only vanilla Android you can find is on the Google line of Phones, the Nexus.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

You are right, I purchased an iPhone for the first time back this last November, because my half a dozen other Android devices from the likes of Samsung were crap. But it is OK, you can try and make personal attacks because you don't have anything else to stand on, doesn't bother me any.

I will continue to call out terrible articles when I see them, and ask for the actual data that isn't being published.

EDIT:

Oh, and your Software Google makes vs Software Apple makes., isn't actually valid. If you understand anything, it would be that the individual manufacturers that get Android HEAVILY modify the OS to their liking.

So the reality is that it is Apple vs (insert any manufacturer that carries Android), because they all modify it. The only vanilla Android you can find is on the Google line of Phones, the Nexus.

I did not personally attack you.

Just stated I remember that you do have an iphone cause I see your post in all IOS threads.

I am not sure how that is personally attacking.

They Heavily modify the looks and add their own apps within the OS. Last company who heavily modified it was issued a warning. So maybe you should understand.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

I did not personally attack you.

Just stated I remember that you do have an iphone cause I see your post in all IOS threads.

I am not sure how that is personally attacking.

They Heavily modify the looks and add their own apps within the OS. Last company who heavily modified it was issued a warning. So maybe you should understand.

Do you honestly think that modifying the UI and adding their own apps can't compromise the stability of the OS?

lachen.gif

Alright, well, you think that. I will just continue to be a free thinking individual, and maintain the ability to recognize something flawed (this article), and call those flaws out. I am not one that just takes what is handed to me and eats it because I was told to. No, I am going to call into question certain realities and ask for supporting information.

Cheers.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 124
Just as an aside, ignoring the argument going on above, PostalTwinkie brings up another valid point on top of the manufacturer tweaking with android:

Saying 1 Billion devices is great and all, but what are the percentages? If it's only 5 android phones and 999,999,995 Iphones, obviously the results will be skewed. To be fair, that is an exaggeration but you get my point.

Honestly though, I would have thought it would be the other way around. Apple has a huge advantage they can leverage over Google in that their hardware is standardized. They don't have to make an OS compatible with hundreds (probably thousands) of different hardware configurations. On top of that, they don't have to deal with dozens of different UI's put on top of their OS that can cause compatibility issues.

The biggest problem with Android is and will always be the fragmentation of its user base, both in hardware and software. And btw, this is coming from someone with a Galaxy s3 mini and a brother with an Iphone, so there is no bias on either side here.
post #20 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory121295 View Post

Just as an aside, ignoring the argument going on above, PostalTwinkie brings up another valid point on top of the manufacturer tweaking with android:

Saying 1 Billion devices is great and all, but what are the percentages? If it's only 5 android phones and 999,999,995 Iphones, obviously the results will be skewed. To be fair, that is an exaggeration but you get my point.

Honestly though, I would have thought it would be the other way around. Apple has a huge advantage they can leverage over Google in that their hardware is standardized. They don't have to make an OS compatible with hundreds (probably thousands) of different hardware configurations. On top of that, they don't have to deal with dozens of different UI's put on top of their OS that can cause compatibility issues.

The biggest problem with Android is and will always be the fragmentation of its user base, both in hardware and software. And btw, this is coming from someone with a Galaxy s3 mini and a brother with an Iphone, so there is no bias on either side here.

Yes it would be good to know how many androids and how many IOS devices were tested.

This isn't a surprise to me though, I remember what IOS 5 was like and IOS 7 is not far from that.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [GSM ARENA] Android twice as stable as iOS, study shows