Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Neowin] Facebook confirms plans to offer Internet access via solar-powered air drones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Neowin] Facebook confirms plans to offer Internet access via solar-powered air drones - Page 3

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

The worst that would happen is that it falls out of the sky and kills a deer.
That's free food bro!
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximization View Post

cool people starving in some remote village will have internet access.

Are you suggesting that Facebook should focus efforts to stop world hunger? You're right that people who are fighting for survival won't find much benefit from this, but this sounds like one of those "Why are scientists wasting time building robots instead of curing cancer?" posts. There are lots of problems in the world and, thankfully, lots of people working on them. A group of people solving one problem doesn't prevent the other problems from being solved.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Plow View Post

Are you suggesting that Facebook should focus efforts to stop world hunger? You're right that people who are fighting for survival won't find much benefit from this, but this sounds like one of those "Why are scientists wasting time building robots instead of curing cancer?" posts. There are lots of problems in the world and, thankfully, lots of people working on them. A group of people solving one problem doesn't prevent the other problems from being solved.
Unless you are a group of people, or a corporation, that actually is going around trying to stop people from bettering society, because it either gets in the way of profit, or the prophets.

Those actually do exist!
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

Anywhere that has a highway would have no need of these WiFi drones, they already have internet. The worst that would happen is that it falls out of the sky and kills a deer.

Though the time over populated areas would be small, the drones would probably cross over something resembling a city or freeway at some point. So unlikely, yes, but worst case scenario, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

Not trying to be rude, it's simply because you have not *looked to educate yourself on your various rights. These 'rights' are also dependent on the State in which you reside. There are lots of people in the States who have legal ownership of anti-material rifles. What you should worry about is people who acquire any type of weapon off California Senators without authorization or oversight!

I think I'll worry about both, thanks. There are plenty of people who do things legally that you can be afraid of.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

Unless you are a group of people, or a corporation, that actually is going around trying to stop people from bettering society, because it either gets in the way of profit, or the prophets.

Those actually do exist!

Uh I guess, but in my scenario the people in question were solving a problem. I suppose they could be helping one thing and hindering another, but my point was really that just because someone is working on one problem doesn't inherently prevent them from working on/solving another.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Plow View Post

Though the time over populated areas would be small, the drones would probably cross over something resembling a city or freeway at some point. So unlikely, yes, but worst case scenario, no.
I think I'll worry about both, thanks. There are plenty of people who do things legally that you can be afraid of.
Suite yourself. I don't live in fear of things I can't predict or stop.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Plow View Post

I suppose they could be helping one thing and hindering another
Think maybe I didn't state it right; I was stating that there are groups that go around hindering/interrupting/lobbying against things that would interferer with their profits, or their prophets, even though they are not actually being hindered themselves, unless it's profits being hindered, but this is a free market, hopefully?
Edited by PDXMark - 3/28/14 at 4:01pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

Suite yourself. I don't live in fear of things I can't predict or stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

What you should worry about is people who acquire any type of weapon off California Senators without authorization or oversight!

If you didn't catch that I'm using "fear" and "worry" interchangeably or if you use those words in drastically different situations (excluding severity), hopefully this sentence will illuminate that.

If instead you're getting on me for using the word "afraid" and trying to sound calm and collected (or make me sound the opposite), I would advise you to avoid telling others what they should worry about. It kind of ruins that whole let it be thing you're trying to promote.
And if you don't see the issue you've created with these two posts, I guess I'll just add: You can predict and stop people from legally accessing these things just as easily as you can predict and stop people from illegally accessing these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

Think maybe I didn't state it right; I was stating that there are groups that go around hindering/interrupting/lobbying against things that would interferer with their profits, or their prophets, even though they are not actually being hindered themselves, unless it's profits being hindered, but this is a free market, hopefully?

No, even with this it sounds like a non-sequitur. I wasn't saying that bad people/corporations don't exist, I was saying that one person doing good in one area doesn't stop other good work from being done. For example if Scientist A is working on an HIV vaccine, that work to stop the spread of HIV doesn't prevent Scientist B from ending world hunger. There may be additional circumstances wherein the work of Scientist A affects Scientist B's stuff, but often advances in science are treated as if Scientist A and B are working together on everything...except when Scientist A gets distracted and makes a robot that can poop. This leads people to be angry that we have "useless" advances while there are still large threats looming.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximization View Post

cool people starving in some remote village will have internet access.

Shouldn't be reproducing to begin with
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Plow View Post

Are you suggesting that Facebook should focus efforts to stop world hunger? You're right that people who are fighting for survival won't find much benefit from this, but this sounds like one of those "Why are scientists wasting time building robots instead of curing cancer?" posts. There are lots of problems in the world and, thankfully, lots of people working on them. A group of people solving one problem doesn't prevent the other problems from being solved.

I was actually thinking of prioritizing issues, not so much the philosophical angle. You did not even give the idea about having farcebook drones delivering food, if needed for the betterment of humanity why not...right? Or would that actually cut into profits for Farcebooks CIA masters? Actually i could see some hellfire missles on the drones, you know just in case they come across someone that needs to be takin care of.
Edited by Maximization - 3/28/14 at 4:44pm
INA
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4960x RAMPAGE IV EXTREME 1080Ti Poseidon 1080Ti Poseidon 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL Sandisk SSD DVD WRITER BLU-RAY WRITER 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
CUSTOM LOOP VISTA 64 ULTIMATE windows 10 pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3 RAVEN 03 Utech Smart laser mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOther
CYBER SNIPA TRACER ONBOARD Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2... 
  hide details  
Reply
INA
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4960x RAMPAGE IV EXTREME 1080Ti Poseidon 1080Ti Poseidon 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL Sandisk SSD DVD WRITER BLU-RAY WRITER 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
CUSTOM LOOP VISTA 64 ULTIMATE windows 10 pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3 RAVEN 03 Utech Smart laser mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOther
CYBER SNIPA TRACER ONBOARD Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Neowin] Facebook confirms plans to offer Internet access via solar-powered air drones