Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [The Verge] John Carmack breaks silence on Facebook's Oculus acquisition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Verge] John Carmack breaks silence on Facebook's Oculus acquisition - Page 5

post #41 of 57
'If you're unsure of what's being sold, it's probably you'

Applies to this Oculus <-> FB transaction.
   
AGP bencher
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Sapphire HD 6950 2GiB 2x8GB KFA2 HOF DDR4-3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB Seagate 600 Series 240GB Seagate 7200.14 2TB Samsung F3 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB Supreme HF XSPC Rasa GPU EK XT360 EK 4.0 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W10 Pro LG IPS235 LG E2250V KUL ES-87 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SF Leadex II 650W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G9 Xonar DX 
AudioAudio
SMSL SA-S3+Technics CB-250 Sennheiser HD555 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-5700 Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 G.SKILL Ares 2133 CL9 Hitachi 5K750 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Momentus .7 200GB Noctua NH-L9a Server 2012 R2 Standard AUO B156HW01 
PowerCaseOther
PicoPSU-80-WI-25V AIO Aluminium Handmade TP-Link Archer Something Something Wi-Fi AC 
CPUCPUCPUMotherboard
Core2Duo E6400 Core2Quad Q6600 Pentium Dual Core E5200 AsRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
A dumpload of ancient AGP cards Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4 2T @CL3 1T Seagate 160GB 7200.10 LG IDE DVD-ROM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ghettomade CPU waterblock 49cc 2stroke engine copper radiator WinXP SP2 32bit ProView 17" 
PowerCase
Tacens Radix V 550W Ghetto aluminium bench 
  hide details  
Reply
   
AGP bencher
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Sapphire HD 6950 2GiB 2x8GB KFA2 HOF DDR4-3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB Seagate 600 Series 240GB Seagate 7200.14 2TB Samsung F3 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB Supreme HF XSPC Rasa GPU EK XT360 EK 4.0 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W10 Pro LG IPS235 LG E2250V KUL ES-87 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SF Leadex II 650W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G9 Xonar DX 
AudioAudio
SMSL SA-S3+Technics CB-250 Sennheiser HD555 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-5700 Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 G.SKILL Ares 2133 CL9 Hitachi 5K750 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Momentus .7 200GB Noctua NH-L9a Server 2012 R2 Standard AUO B156HW01 
PowerCaseOther
PicoPSU-80-WI-25V AIO Aluminium Handmade TP-Link Archer Something Something Wi-Fi AC 
CPUCPUCPUMotherboard
Core2Duo E6400 Core2Quad Q6600 Pentium Dual Core E5200 AsRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
A dumpload of ancient AGP cards Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4 2T @CL3 1T Seagate 160GB 7200.10 LG IDE DVD-ROM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ghettomade CPU waterblock 49cc 2stroke engine copper radiator WinXP SP2 32bit ProView 17" 
PowerCase
Tacens Radix V 550W Ghetto aluminium bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 57
hahaha of course he isn't worried. He gets a big pile of money. Like he cares.

It is the way companies work nowadays.

Anyone remembers the beginning days of Hotmail? And later Gmail?
How easy it was. Open. When companies go big they destroy everything they ever started otu with. It is what money does.
I have no hope for Oculus. This will turn out to be a horrible product purely created to make as much money and reach as many people as humanly possible.

This is why I never participate in kickstarter. If the companies succeed they are not a shadow of their former self.

Not like Carmack cares. He is in, fully loaded, chose the money. He could care less what the dream was originally was about.
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

ahh the nothing to fear nothing to hide brigade, how naive. Harmless meta data exploitation sold on for mega bucks at your own expense and he crucially does not deny this will happen by that very statement.

This sums it up for me. His opinion is hardly to be trusted, he is simply not objective. And the way he waves off invasion of privacy is really disappointing. People here are talking about how he doesn't need the money. Whether he needs it or not is irrelevant, he can clearly be bought.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

So Carmack isn't worried so that makes me feel better. thumb.gif
Why would that not make you worry, he has quite figuratively been a tool for the last decade. The man has absolutely no integrity whatsoever.
Edited by The-Beast - 3/31/14 at 3:57am
post #45 of 57
This is what most of you are basing your trust on... Why would a guy with piles of money want more piles of money if he wasn't legit? Do we live on the same planet?.. The same reason everyone else does it, nobody gets a spare pile of money no matter how rich they were/are. I don't trust anybody but myself when it comes to consumer products been burned a few too many times even literally once by apple.
If Carmack was this unwavering great visionary with unlimited funds that people seem to claim he is why in the world would he sell out? I don't buy it, something smells fishy to me 2billion for a startup that hasn't started yet? By a software company? rolleyes.gif
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 57
As long as the scheme Facebook will use to monetize from this isn't intrusive (ads) and restrictive (DRM/stupid licensing), having more liquid assets for the Oculus Team hopefully only helps them. As much as I dislike Facebook, hopefully something good will come out of this. Not looking to forward if they skip the Oculus branding "have you heard about the Facebook Rift?" biggrin.gif
Lenovo Y500
(5 items)
 
Byte
(13 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Intel i7 3630QM NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M SLI 16GB SO-DIMM DDR3 Windows 8 
Audio
AKG K 272 HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K Asus P8H77-I GTX 580 Phantom Kingston HyperX blu 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 840 120GB Thermalright HR-02 Macho Linux Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Super Flower 550W Golden King 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Bitfenix Prodigy (white) M-Audio Fast Track Pro M-Audio BX5a D2 AKG K 272 HD 
Audio
Behringer B3031A 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo Y500
(5 items)
 
Byte
(13 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Intel i7 3630QM NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M SLI 16GB SO-DIMM DDR3 Windows 8 
Audio
AKG K 272 HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K Asus P8H77-I GTX 580 Phantom Kingston HyperX blu 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 840 120GB Thermalright HR-02 Macho Linux Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Super Flower 550W Golden King 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Bitfenix Prodigy (white) M-Audio Fast Track Pro M-Audio BX5a D2 AKG K 272 HD 
Audio
Behringer B3031A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post

Not like Carmack cares. He is in, fully loaded, chose the money. He could care less what the dream was originally was about.

Or, he was already loaded before, and now the company itself has enough money to make the inventions come to life faster with more money to R&D, which allows him to push the product further, in a way he couldn't if he didn't sell?

If you tried to make something, and it takes a long time because of low income and low budget, and someone say "here is a crap load pile of money, go make it happen", will you say "hell no! I prefer to snail along instead!"?
No, you will take the money.
The fact that if sony, nintendo, microsoft, or any other company with gaming history would have bought them first, more people will say "hurray!" instead of "boo!". The fact that its specifically Facebook is ticking people off. Because of pre justice. And not on any actual rational reason.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

The fact that its specifically Facebook is ticking people off. Because of pre justice. And not on any actual rational reason.

That makes no sense. Facebook is a company that does things a certain way. Not liking the deal because of the fact it is Facebook is a perfectly fine argument.

Facebook has bought Oculus. There is no partnership going.
Once Carmack has gotten it to the point Facebook wants it they will start to decide how and what.

There was no snailpace. They were doing amazingly well on Kickstarter and would have gotten funds easy from investors and they could have created what they dreamed of without consessions.

If you think the outcome of Oculus will be the same now as it would have been on their own then I will hope your dream will come true. I am just not a believer of that dream.
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyman View Post

Or why not wait for the consumer product and then make your decision based on facts? thumb.gif

Most intelligent post I've read in the whole thread.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5460 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L HIS IceQ Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition 2x2Gb Patriot Viper series (5-5-5-15) DDR2 1066MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Samgung HD154UI 1.5TB Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair TX650 Corsair Carbide 400R Xonar DG | Ultrasone PRO 550 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5460 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L HIS IceQ Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition 2x2Gb Patriot Viper series (5-5-5-15) DDR2 1066MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Samgung HD154UI 1.5TB Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair TX650 Corsair Carbide 400R Xonar DG | Ultrasone PRO 550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 57

I wonder, how much money does FB actually make per user? $1?

 

How many of you would be willing to pay, say, $10 or $20 a year for no ads? And would you stop complaining if that was the case? Then we all win, FB gets more money, we get the hardware cheaper, then slightly offset by the no-ad subscription and ad companies don't shell out money to advertise to those who would block them anyway.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [The Verge] John Carmack breaks silence on Facebook's Oculus acquisition