Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First time builder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time builder

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Hello all!! Years ago I was looking into building my own gaming rig but life got in the way if you know what I mean. Looking at my old planned builds it included a GTX 460 and i5-750 Lynnfield.... So yes I am way outdated but now that I can afford to build my own computer so I can do away with my old laptop from my college days!! Like seriously the only game I play on it is LoL on the lowest settings possible....

Ok, for the build my friend is willing to sell me his EVGA GTX 670 2gb for $230. Looking at prices this seems like a great deal but I cant say I know anything about builds anymore and allowing for future upgrades. He replaced it because he said the 2gb part was holding his rig back from running max on things like BF4, Skyrim, Titanfall, and such. So if this is a good card to start at lets say I have $600 left not including OS(which I hope I can get for free), monitor and keyboard/mouse. I want to go budget-ish if possible with good potential for future upgrades. I've been doing a lot of research on stuff in general trying to get caught up and decided to come here cause it seems friendly and informative. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!! smile.gif
Edited by GuyWithOpinion - 3/30/14 at 6:55pm
post #2 of 40
Hello and welcome to OCN smile.gif

A GTX 670 will last you pretty long if you play at 1080p and don't use excessive AA or modding heavily in Skyrim. I had two 2gb 670's at 1440p resolution and that was enough for almost all games really both performance and RAM size wise.
670 is pretty much equal to a 760, so for the price its pretty decent.

So I found parts for a complete system for you, this setup should both overclock fine (can expect 4 to 4.5ghz) and will have plenty power for when you want a new graphics card or any other task.
Total price: $612.93 without shipping, think I nailed the budget just right smile.gif

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157370
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144614
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256101
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
CPU cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018

The first upgrade I would do is to buy a SSD, this drastically improves speed in everything. Loading Windows, everyday tasks like opening a browser and much faster game loading. Samsung and Intel are the two best at making SSD's, so either one will be fine.

Happy building smile.gif
The up/downgrade
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel 6800K @ 4ghz 1.24v| |Asus ROG Strix X99| |Gainward GTX 1070 @ ~2ghz| |4x4gb Corsair XMS 3000mhz CL14| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
|840 Pro 256gb| |OCZ Vertex 2 120gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 120hz| |Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
|EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2| |Corsair 750D| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  |JBL L890 speakers| 
AudioAudio
|Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic MAA-705 @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
The up/downgrade
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel 6800K @ 4ghz 1.24v| |Asus ROG Strix X99| |Gainward GTX 1070 @ ~2ghz| |4x4gb Corsair XMS 3000mhz CL14| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
|840 Pro 256gb| |OCZ Vertex 2 120gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 120hz| |Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
|EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2| |Corsair 750D| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  |JBL L890 speakers| 
AudioAudio
|Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic MAA-705 @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 40

I don't know what PSU Silverstone used to create that one, but it's a new unit and it's Bronze-rated, so I question its quality.

 

Here's a much better PSU and still has more than enough power than this build will ever need with a single 670 in it.

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

 

It's the 450W Rosewill Capstone. They used the Super Flower Golden Green to make this, which is a very solid PSU.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 40
Which js your resolution?budget with video card?

PD. For 1440p you need more than 2gb vram
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help so far guys!! Much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Which js your resolution?budget with video card?

PD. For 1440p you need more than 2gb vram

I'm not completely sure about resolution since I'm not focused on maxing anything right now but 1080p will be fine until I can upgrade. So that leads to another question, what monitor would you recommend? Lets say I upgrade my video card at the end of the year and wanted to play at 1440p, would the same monitor be able to handle it? Also im kinda set on buying my friends 670.

So looking at the psu, will the Rosewill TwoCables recommended be sufficient? I remember skimping on the psu is the last thing you's want to do. And again with upgrade potential will the 450W be enough if I upgrade my GPU?

So far my build looks like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/guywithopinion/saved/4eeR
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithOpinion View Post

Thanks for the help so far guys!! Much appreciated
I'm not completely sure about resolution since I'm not focused on maxing anything right now but 1080p will be fine until I can upgrade. So that leads to another question, what monitor would you recommend? Lets say I upgrade my video card at the end of the year and wanted to play at 1440p, would the same monitor be able to handle it? Also im kinda set on buying my friends 670.

So looking at the psu, will the Rosewill TwoCables recommended be sufficient? I remember skimping on the psu is the last thing you's want to do. And again with upgrade potential will the 450W be enough if I upgrade my GPU?

So far my build looks like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/guywithopinion/saved/4eeR



Well here in ocn people buy there for ocing their refresh rate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=qnix&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Well if you mean the 1080p monitor ,yes it will handle those new cards(also the 1440p screen)

A 680sli uses about 570w
So a single card high end can be supplied for a 450w psu


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jRwV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jRwV/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jRwV/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Zalman ZM-CNPS14X CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1010.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-31 19:11 EDT-0400)

This is better price performancr
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #7 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Well here in ocn people buy there for ocing their refresh rate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=qnix&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Well if you mean the 1080p monitor ,yes it will handle those new cards(also the 1440p screen)

A 680sli uses about 570w
So a single card high end can be supplied for a 450w psu


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jRwV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jRwV/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jRwV/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Zalman ZM-CNPS14X CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1010.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-31 19:11 EDT-0400)

This is better price performancr

Hmmmm... I kinda dont want to go that high although it interests me.... and maybe tempts me too much!! mad.gif

Ok, ok.... so are you saying its not worth using my friends card? Lets say it's not then I'm willing to go 700-800 range, is there another more optimal build with a different card that would be worth it?

Side note: 27" is a little too big for me, I think i'd prefer a 20"-22" inch monitor myself. Now how does that change my options?
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithOpinion View Post

Thanks for the help so far guys!! Much appreciated
I'm not completely sure about resolution since I'm not focused on maxing anything right now but 1080p will be fine until I can upgrade. So that leads to another question, what monitor would you recommend? Lets say I upgrade my video card at the end of the year and wanted to play at 1440p, would the same monitor be able to handle it? Also im kinda set on buying my friends 670.

So looking at the psu, will the Rosewill TwoCables recommended be sufficient? I remember skimping on the psu is the last thing you's want to do. And again with upgrade potential will the 450W be enough if I upgrade my GPU?

So far my build looks like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/guywithopinion/saved/4eeR

 

If it weren't sufficient, then I wouldn't have recommended it.

 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_and_3way_sli_review,4.html

 

With one GTX 670 under full load in their system, their PSU pulled 279W from the wall outlet. Their CPU was idling, so I have to add up to about 150W for a heavily-overclocked mainstream CPU. This makes the PSU pulling 429W from the wall outlet. This means that if the PSU is 90% efficient while pulling 429W from the wall, then the computer is pulling 386W from the PSU. This is unrealistically high, so we need to estimate your power consumption while gaming. That would peak at about 350W. So yeah, a good quality-made 450W PSU would be plenty.

 

Two 670s:

 

With two GTX a670s under full load in their system, their PSU pulled 433W from the wall outlet. So, doing the same calculations as above and estimating for 90% efficiency and then estimating the gaming power consumption, the peak power draw while gaming would come out to be about 500W. Amazing, isn't it? lol Two 670s!

 

Three 670s:

 

With three GTX 670s under full load, their PSU pulled 583W from the wall outlet. Gaming power consumption would peak at around 600-625w.

 

Again though, this is if you have a heavily-overclocked mainstream CPU. If I only add 100W for a casually-overclocked CPU, then of course these power consumption calculations go down quite a bit:

 

1 x GTX 670 peak gaming power consumption: 300-325W

 

2 x GTX 670s peak gaming power consumption: 425-450W

 

3 x GTX 670s peak gaming power consumption: 550-600W

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithOpinion View Post

Hmmmm... I kinda dont want to go that high although it interests me.... and maybe tempts me too much!! mad.gif

Ok, ok.... so are you saying its not worth using my friends card? Lets say it's not then I'm willing to go 700-800 range, is there another more optimal build with a different card that would be worth it?

Side note: 27" is a little too big for me, I think i'd prefer a 20"-22" inch monitor myself. Now how does that change my options?
maybe it worth but There is a 760gtx with costs 250usd new and performs a bit worse than the 670gtx


All 2650x1440 screens i know are 27inches,so at 22 there are 3 possibilities a 1920x1080,a 1920x1200 and an incoming 4k monitor for 700-800usd


Intel
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3k9UC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3k9UC/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3k9UC/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $834.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-01 10:01 EDT-0400)



Amd
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kayt
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kayt/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kayt/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($152.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec GX700 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $829.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-01 10:20 EDT-0400)
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #10 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Intel
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3k9UC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3k9UC/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3k9UC/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $834.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-01 10:01 EDT-0400)

This looks really good!! You are awesome!! My only question is the video card, 760 vs 670? Remember i can get a 670 for 230. Also I'm thinking of opting for a smaller SSD for the time being. Other than that I feel pretty close to making a final decision.

Looking up monitors 23-24 seems like the right size for me after going to the store and taking a look at them. I'm thinking $200-250 will get me a good one? Found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331
Edited by GuyWithOpinion - 4/1/14 at 7:11pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First time builder