Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › BF4 Major Lag Spikes? (8350)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BF4 Major Lag Spikes? (8350)

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey! First post here, and I'd like to say that this site looks great so far!


First off, here are the main bits of my setup:

AMD 8350, stock clock
2x(Crossfired)Asus 7850 (2GB E/A), stock clock
16GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600MHz
2 monitors, one at 1080p, the main one that runs BF4 is at 1440p

I play BF4 in 1440p, I get average 55-70FPS on high (45-58 on ultra)
I do not have mantle activated as is ruins the appearance of the game and it makes the FPS worse

The game has horrible lag spikes every 20-50 seconds, where it drops to about 4 FPS for a little while, like 5-10 seconds

The only thing I have running in the background is Bitdefender, Skype, and Origin.

I have unparked my CPU cores, and I have also reinstalled the drivers for my GFX cards, and made sure to confirm crossfire was re-enabled.

I don't understand why this is happening, does anyone have any idea? Thanks!
post #2 of 10
Try upgrading to Win 8.1

It solved a lot of my stuttering issues and dropping down to single digit FPS like you are talking about.

I have a 2500k + 780 classy and experienced plenty of drops which was weird. Win 8.1 has better CPU optimization.

I average triple digit frames now with 0 drops to single digit frames.
post #3 of 10
How does it perform with 1 card? Strange fps drops?
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Ah, yeah, forgot to mention the fact that I'm on Windows 7. And I don't know how easy it'd be for me to just switch, it's not free, right?
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Yeah, still the same FPS drops with one card, and overall lower average FPS
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FODnow View Post

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention the fact that I'm on Windows 7. And I don't know how easy it'd be for me to just switch, it's not free, right?

Yeah, the game is just ridiculously smoother. The game would still stutter like how you explain on medium or high settings and thats just unacceptable for a 780 classified and a 2500k @ 5.0 ghz lol.

As soon as i upgraded to 8.1 it was instantly smooth. I just did a fresh install and didnt risk doing an "upgrade" so i knew it was clean and yeeess oh my it was worth it thumb.gif

Its not free, its like $100. i bought it at a local mom and pop store for 95 cash. I heard Win 9 is coming out in a year.... but uhhh idk if you want to wait. Another new driver is going to come out some time in April and it is rumored to have better CPU optimization similar to what we see in Win 8. Well its all speculation so far... theres a thread on OCN news talking about it...

Other than that, the CPU optimization is a lot better. Your problem sounds a lot like the problem i had with single digit frame drops with PLENTY of GPU power available....

Give it a try! The game is super smooth now, before i wasnt able to play with Ultra settings without getting single digit drops; now ive never gotten a single drop EVER. lol.
post #7 of 10
The 2 secrets to winning battlefield 4.

200+ ping
Windows 8.1

I'm not kidding.
post #8 of 10
Which catalyst version are you using? Mantle or dx11? reason asking is both my kids have 7870 and on the mantle capable catalyst the game is unplayable for the same reasons as you. I am not sure there is such a huge difference between windows 7/8 in the game in reality, there is a pretty comprehensive thread on the matter on ocn. Sounds like drivers or even the 7850's struggling with the 1440p screen in terms of vram. Also that 8350 really needs to be overclocked to reach a decent gaming pereformance imo, even in a game optimised for multi core such as bf4.
Edited by Ghost12 - 4/2/14 at 1:27am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

Which catalyst version are you using? Mantle or dx11? reason asking is both my kids have 7870 and on the mantle capable catalyst the game is unplayable for the same reasons as you. I am not sure there is such a huge difference between windows 7/8 in the game in reality, there is a pretty comprehensive thread on the matter on ocn. Sounds like drivers or even the 7850's struggling with the 1440p screen in terms of vram. Also that 8350 really needs to be overclocked to reach a decent gaming pereformance imo, even in a game optimised for multi core such as bf4.

2GB is certainly enough for 1440p as long as he isnt running 4x MSAA and Ultra Textures and Max Anisotropic Filtering.

That being said, the stutters he complains sounds like something that happens randomly. The lack of VRAM would be due to some crazy levolution; but i actually experienced the stuttering at the most random of times. Even with nothing going on.

All of those problems were eliminated switching to Windows 8.1. Here an example of my settings and average frame rate:

Windows 7:

Ultra Textures/Texture Filtering/Mesh Quality
Medium Everything else
2x MSAA - Low FXAA, SSAO

Average FPS: 60fps-70fps with stuttering and dips to as low as 30 fps or as low as 4-5 fps

Windows 8:

Ultra Textures/Texture Filtering/Mesh Quality/ Terrain Decoration/Terrain Quality
Medium Everything else
4x MSAA - Low FXAA, HBAO

Average FPS: 110-120+fps with no stuttering and no dips below <90 fps. Mostly triple digit framerates.

Basically the CPU optimization is a lot better and will eliminate those stutters. Give it a try man.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

2GB is certainly enough for 1440p as long as he isnt running 4x MSAA and Ultra Textures and Max Anisotropic Filtering.

That being said, the stutters he complains sounds like something that happens randomly. The lack of VRAM would be due to some crazy levolution; but i actually experienced the stuttering at the most random of times. Even with nothing going on.

All of those problems were eliminated switching to Windows 8.1. Here an example of my settings and average frame rate:

Windows 7:

Ultra Textures/Texture Filtering/Mesh Quality
Medium Everything else
2x MSAA - Low FXAA, SSAO

Average FPS: 60fps-70fps with stuttering and dips to as low as 30 fps or as low as 4-5 fps

Windows 8:

Ultra Textures/Texture Filtering/Mesh Quality/ Terrain Decoration/Terrain Quality
Medium Everything else
4x MSAA - Low FXAA, HBAO

Average FPS: 110-120+fps with no stuttering and no dips below <90 fps. Mostly triple digit framerates.

Basically the CPU optimization is a lot better and will eliminate those stutters. Give it a try man.

I have been on windows 8 since consumer preview so the running of bf4 is not something I have had problems with. I have 4 systems in this house with the game installed, 2 on windows 8, 1 on windows 8.1 and 1 on windows 7. I just wonder what catalyst is using as could be the reason and as the op has not mentioned what settings is running in terms of AA, AA post, hbao etc that could well be the problem also on the 7850 cfx@1440p.
Edited by Ghost12 - 4/2/14 at 1:51am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › BF4 Major Lag Spikes? (8350)