Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Verge] Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Verge] Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back - Page 39

post #381 of 423
when ? do I still need it ?
Black Hawk
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k - 13 B 666 Asus Maximus VI Formula 1080 SeaHawk EK | K|NGP|N  G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
SAMSUNG 830 128GB raiD 0 rx 360 rx240 rx240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek-Res X3 250mm Swiftech MCP35X2 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex Lamptron FC9 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Bitspower compression fittings koolance CPU 370 Windows 10 Pro Acer XB271HU ‑ 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quick fire TK EVGA 1300g2 Corsair 800D MoDeD G502 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Rosewill REACT XL Creative Sound Blaster Z Sennheiser HD 555  AKG K267 
Other
M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Hawk
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k - 13 B 666 Asus Maximus VI Formula 1080 SeaHawk EK | K|NGP|N  G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
SAMSUNG 830 128GB raiD 0 rx 360 rx240 rx240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek-Res X3 250mm Swiftech MCP35X2 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex Lamptron FC9 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Bitspower compression fittings koolance CPU 370 Windows 10 Pro Acer XB271HU ‑ 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quick fire TK EVGA 1300g2 Corsair 800D MoDeD G502 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Rosewill REACT XL Creative Sound Blaster Z Sennheiser HD 555  AKG K267 
Other
M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #382 of 423
I really like how they have made it so the desktop taskbar is an overlay when you hover with the mouse at the bottom of the screen, and minimise/close bar at the top, so it's almost as if your running the modern ui apps in desktop mode, yet it still works as a touch ui too.
post #383 of 423
Meh. We will see.
Never trust M$ until you have its product in front of you...

Just stick with the beautiful experience that is Windows 7 and let the hamsters and hipsters try out the garbage until the next golden version of windows comes along.
post #384 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post

Make it "optional" then everything will be fine. Otherwise it's another "shove-it-your-favorite-part" tale. What would happen if they actually made start menu endlessly tweakable at Windows 8 launch ? Have 3rd party folks make Themes.

I should quote myself on every page biggrin.gif
Intel Evilnow
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4ghz @ Offset -0.015 Asus P8P67 Evo (bios 3207) Sapphire 280x Tri-x 3GB OC (Stock 1020/1500 Non... G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1866mhz 9-10-9-28-2n @ 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SHSS37A120G WD5000AAKX-001CA0 WD20EARX WD20EZRZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (Now External) ASUS DRW-1814BLT Noctua NH-u12p SE2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H Wobbly Stand :) Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650 (28a,28a,30a) Cooler Master haf 912 Advanced 
MouseOther
A4tech x7 F3 Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controlle... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090t BE 3.6/4.0 Turbo@def.volt MSI K9A2 Platinum v1 Sapphire HD6850 1GB 850/1100@def.volt Kingston 2x2gb Hyperx 1066 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital WD5001AALS Seagate Barracuda ST3250410AS Asus DRW-1814BLT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H 23.6" Wobbly Stand :D Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) Thermaltake Kandalf SuperTower 
Mouse
A4 tech Swop-3 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Evilnow
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4ghz @ Offset -0.015 Asus P8P67 Evo (bios 3207) Sapphire 280x Tri-x 3GB OC (Stock 1020/1500 Non... G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1866mhz 9-10-9-28-2n @ 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SHSS37A120G WD5000AAKX-001CA0 WD20EARX WD20EZRZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (Now External) ASUS DRW-1814BLT Noctua NH-u12p SE2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H Wobbly Stand :) Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650 (28a,28a,30a) Cooler Master haf 912 Advanced 
MouseOther
A4tech x7 F3 Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controlle... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090t BE 3.6/4.0 Turbo@def.volt MSI K9A2 Platinum v1 Sapphire HD6850 1GB 850/1100@def.volt Kingston 2x2gb Hyperx 1066 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital WD5001AALS Seagate Barracuda ST3250410AS Asus DRW-1814BLT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H 23.6" Wobbly Stand :D Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) Thermaltake Kandalf SuperTower 
Mouse
A4 tech Swop-3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #385 of 423
Just installed windows 8. (because it is super silky smooth on my 06" Lenovo x60s) upgraded to 8.1. installed classic shell and now im ready to go... No need to wait for M$ to revive the start menu.
post #386 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankzro View Post

Screw this... I'm gonna say it, the start menu was never actually good... When was it ever "GOOD" ?

I am on windows 7... I barely use it ... Who claimed the start menu was good?

That's the funniest part. Hardly anyone actually used the start menu that much before Win8, which was the entire reason it was removed. Microsoft replaced it with something better that fits in with current design trends.

You shouldn't leave something in an OS just because it's already there. Can anyone say "circular reasoning"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

Ofcource it is if I'm slapped in face with a full-screen weather or clock at 10 megapixels and ~2 meter diagonal when I'm in the middle of something else.

And all that bcos some crappy little thing had still a metro app as default or my computer thought I was doing a "magic gesture" while in reality I was just hovering my mouse around trying to decide what to play next.

It's not really fair to expect Microsoft to cater to people with 19 monitors in Eyefinity. People with setups like yours make up an infinitesimal segment of the PC market.

Metro works fine on systems with multiple monitors - you're only experiencing a problem because rather than multiple monitors, you've chosen to have one giant monitor with distracting black bars everywhere.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k @ 4.1 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Asus Radeon 7850 DirectCU II 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB (OS & Programs) WD Caviar Black 500GB (Games) Seagate Barracuda 750GB (Files) Corsair H100i with SP120 Quiet Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Technical Preview HP 2311x 23" (Dual Monitors) Logitech MK520 Antec TP-650 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech M310 Asus Xonar DG Blue Yeti USB Mic 
OtherOtherOther
Line 6 POD Studio GX Wacom Bamboo Pen Logitech C910 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k @ 4.1 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Asus Radeon 7850 DirectCU II 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB (OS & Programs) WD Caviar Black 500GB (Games) Seagate Barracuda 750GB (Files) Corsair H100i with SP120 Quiet Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Technical Preview HP 2311x 23" (Dual Monitors) Logitech MK520 Antec TP-650 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech M310 Asus Xonar DG Blue Yeti USB Mic 
OtherOtherOther
Line 6 POD Studio GX Wacom Bamboo Pen Logitech C910 
  hide details  
Reply
post #387 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post

That's the funniest part. Hardly anyone actually used the start menu that much before Win8, which was the entire reason it was removed. Microsoft replaced it with something better that fits in with current design trends.

I am curious, where was this stated? Do you have a link to articles discussing this? I always used my Start Menu personally.

You shouldn't leave something in an OS just because it's already there. Can anyone say "circular reasoning"?

It's called OPTIONS. You don't ever make a drastic UI change without providing an opt out essentially. This is where MS went WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. If they offered a Start Menu and Boot to Desktop option from the get go instead of trying to cram Metro down everyone's throats, they wouldn't be in the mess with W8 that they are in now. They were trying to force everyone to use their new UI and ended up making most people absolutely hate it. That was really dumb of MS and speaks volumes about how out of touch they are with their consumer base.

It's not really fair to expect Microsoft to cater to people with 19 monitors in Eyefinity. People with setups like yours make up an infinitesimal segment of the PC market.

Same can be said about the people who actually LIKE Metro; you guys make up an infinitesimal segment of the PC market. There is a reason why MS has been backtracking since day one.

Metro works fine on systems with multiple monitors - you're only experiencing a problem because rather than multiple monitors, you've chosen to have one giant monitor with distracting black bars everywhere.

Metro works fine for people who like it and want it. The vast majority does not want it for desktops.

Addressed some points I disagree or have questions about.
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asus P8Z77-M EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 Pro Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Drive Corsair H50 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell UltraSharp U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red Corsair AX860 Corsair Obsidian 350D Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
fUnc Mouse Mat Grace m9xx DAC/AMP ELAC B6 Schiit Lyr 2 
AudioAudio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable... Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asus P8Z77-M EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 Pro Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Drive Corsair H50 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell UltraSharp U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red Corsair AX860 Corsair Obsidian 350D Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
fUnc Mouse Mat Grace m9xx DAC/AMP ELAC B6 Schiit Lyr 2 
AudioAudio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable... Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #388 of 423

Sure I would give it a try

post #389 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post

That's the funniest part. Hardly anyone actually used the start menu that much before Win8, which was the entire reason it was removed. Microsoft replaced it with something better that fits in with current design trends.

You shouldn't leave something in an OS just because it's already there. Can anyone say "circular reasoning"?
It's not really fair to expect Microsoft to cater to people with 19 monitors in Eyefinity. People with setups like yours make up an infinitesimal segment of the PC market.

Metro works fine on systems with multiple monitors - you're only experiencing a problem because rather than multiple monitors, you've chosen to have one giant monitor with distracting black bars everywhere.

The things people say on here, rolleyes.gif
post #390 of 423
did they make it so all the system settings etc aren't full screen? and apps aren't full screen? that was the real annoying part, the start menu was nothing in comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Verge] Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back