Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Do you think 4K will be the end of pixel density?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you think 4K will be the end of pixel density? - Page 3

post #21 of 48
I guess the question should be asked differently because (as far as I know) there is no link between the resolution and the pixel density unless space matter (smartphone and manufacturing cost).
So 4k is simply the definition of a screen having 3840 x 2160 pixels... 8k should double that, etc. If we don't increase pixel density, screen size will scale with resolution... obviously!

The appropriate question would be: ''Is the current pixel density enough?'' I think it is subjective (still is) but might soon change because even those who say they can see the tiniest pixel will soon not be able to tell the difference between two panels. I believe higher density equals to higher brightness and sharper contrasts but that's not something I wouldn't be ready to pay for.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

8K wouldn't be the successor to 4K. It would be 16K

And if flagship cards, by themselves, can barely play 4K at a smooth 60FPS then no 4K still isn't playable.

Umm 8k is already the successor. DP 1.3 supports 8k res at 30 FPS, 8k panels were shown off at CES, etc.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That's like saying that Eyefinity/Surround setups at 1080p aren't "playable" because you need a huge amount of GPU horsepower to play high end games on them. Simply because you can't afford them doesn't mean they aren't playable.
 
NAS4Free Server
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 3.8GHz EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 970  16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk II Ultra Plus 960GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB Some Supermicro HSF that is an NH-D12 knockoff Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover 44K 40" 3840x2160 Das Mechanical  Silverstone 500 Watt 80+ Gold Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-5000 Kabini ASRock QC5000-ITX  Integrated 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate Constellation Nas x2 RAID 1 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2TB Toshiba  NAS4Free 
PowerCase
Silverstone Strider 500 Watt 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
 
NAS4Free Server
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 3.8GHz EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 970  16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk II Ultra Plus 960GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB Some Supermicro HSF that is an NH-D12 knockoff Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover 44K 40" 3840x2160 Das Mechanical  Silverstone 500 Watt 80+ Gold Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-5000 Kabini ASRock QC5000-ITX  Integrated 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate Constellation Nas x2 RAID 1 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2TB Toshiba  NAS4Free 
PowerCase
Silverstone Strider 500 Watt 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

I guess the question should be asked differently because (as far as I know) there is no link between the resolution and the pixel density unless space matter (smartphone and manufacturing cost).
So 4k is simply the definition of a screen having 3840 x 2160 pixels... 8k should double that, etc. If we don't increase pixel density, screen size will scale with resolution... obviously!

The appropriate question would be: ''Is the current pixel density enough?'' I think it is subjective (still is) but might soon change because even those who say they can see the tiniest pixel will soon not be able to tell the difference between two panels. I believe higher density equals to higher brightness and sharper contrasts but that's not something I wouldn't be ready to pay for.

4K to 8K closer to quadruple the resolution.

Pixel density has absolutely nothing to do with brightness or contrast.

Brightness is how much light is given off.
Contrast is the color range.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 48
NO. human eyes can see much more than 4k. this is the same arguement about 60hz vs 120hz.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

NO. human eyes can see much more than 4k. this is the same arguement about 60hz vs 120hz.

You are wrong... An extreme example but a 4K 240" display at 2ft.

The point is that 4K is just a resolution. What the eye can distinguish depends on pixel density and viewing distance.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

You are wrong... An extreme example but a 4K 240" display at 2ft.

The point is that 4K is just a resolution. What the eye can distinguish depends on pixel density and viewing distance.

i'm pretty sure that i would be able to see each individual pixel in a 4k 240 inch display.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

4K to 8K closer to quadruple the resolution.

Pixel density has absolutely nothing to do with brightness or contrast.

Brightness is how much light is given off.
Contrast is the color range.

Contrast (vision), the difference in color and light between parts of an image (wikipedia def.).
There can be higher variation of light intensity and color if you have more pixel per unit of length.
Every pixel emit light, so if you have more pixels, you can produce more light per length unit.

I wonder how it has nothing to do with brightness or contrast...?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

Umm 8k is already the successor. DP 1.3 supports 8k res at 30 FPS, 8k panels were shown off at CES, etc.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That's like saying that Eyefinity/Surround setups at 1080p aren't "playable" because you need a huge amount of GPU horsepower to play high end games on them. Simply because you can't afford them doesn't mean they aren't playable.

I concede that 8K will be the successor to 4K, however, you do need a ton of horsepower to play in eyefinity and if most people can't afford that, then there is no reason why AMD or Nvidia should push that as one of the features of their cards. Even though it is technically a feature, software support for multi-monitor setups is nowhere near as refined and polished as it is for single monitor setups. The same can be said for SLI and Crossfire. Sure, the software exists, but from what I have seen, the higher you go in the number of SLI/Crossfired cards in your system, the more finicky the software support. 4 way SLI is nowhere near as stable as 2 way SLI.

My point is until that actually happens and it becomes easy enough for someone to 2 way SLI/Crossfire by just going to the store and picking up 2 cards and dropping them in the motherboard, then 4K is not playable. Until the consumer has easy access to technology and doesn't have to deal with microstutter, worrying about how the game performs on multi card setups, and using beta drivers because the current retail drivers do not fix a specific problem, then 4K is definitely not playable right now.
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 48
Practicality of high resolutions depends on the size of the screen
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post


It's probably not important that you can't be happy with a single graphics card on 4K currently. The screens are currently very expensive so it feels alright that you need to pay a lot for graphics cards. There's still time for AMD and NVIDIA to get it to run fine with a moderately priced single graphics card before the price of 4K screens comes down to what 1080p screens are today.

I also think benchmarks might be a little misleading because reviewers always test with best possible settings and antialiasing put to the same level that they use for 1080p, but I guess you don't need that amount of AA on 4K. That said, the current graphics cards don't seem to have the FPS drop that much when enabling something like 4xMSAA so reviewing like that might actually be fine?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Do you think 4K will be the end of pixel density?