Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Looking for a reliable 4TB HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a reliable 4TB HD

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Upgrading a computer for a photography studio they have trouble keeping a 1TB HDD from being completely full so we decided to go with adding a 4TB HDD. Looking for reliable suggestions.
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
This seagate 4TB has a pretty reputable track record http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

I have the ST2000DM001 and it's been pretty reliable for me for the past 2 years I've had it.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

This seagate 4TB has a pretty reputable track record http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

I have the ST2000DM001 and it's been pretty reliable for me for the past 2 years I've had it.

That's the one I keep coming back to on Newegg, thanks for sharing your experience.
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post

Upgrading a computer for a photography studio they have trouble keeping a 1TB HDD from being completely full so we decided to go with adding a 4TB HDD. Looking for reliable suggestions.

My vote is a Hitachi Deskstar 4TB or WD Red 4TB. The Deskstar has faster transfer rates and lower seek times, the Red runs cooler and the bearings might last longer being a 5400-5900 RPM drive.

Make sure they're running Windows 7 SP1 or newer - you can't run anything over 2TB unless you format the disk as a GPT device. MBR devices are limited to 2TB or less.

There is no way I'd run a Seagate 4TB unless you get it for free - and even then, make sure you make regular backups.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Here's the gist: Drive, Number of Drives in sample, Average Age, Failure Rate.

Seagate Desktop HDD.15
(ST4000DM000) 4.0TB 5199 0.3 3.8%
Seagate Barracuda
(ST3000DM001) 3.0TB 4252 1.4 9.8%

Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000
(HDS5C4040ALE630) 4.0TB 2587 0.8 1.5%
Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000
(HDS5C3030ALA630) 3.0TB 4592 1.7 0.9%




Take a look at the Seagate and WD 4TB failure rates - they are double the Hitachi 4TB failure rate!

Greg
Edited by hammong - 4/2/14 at 8:24pm
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

My vote is a Hitachi Deskstar 4TB or WD Red 4TB. The Deskstar has faster transfer rates and lower seek times, the Red runs cooler and the bearings might last longer being a 5400-5900 RPM drive.

Make sure they're running Windows 7 SP1 or newer - you can't run anything over 2TB unless you format the disk as a GPT device. MBR devices are limited to 2TB or less.

There is no way I'd run a Seagate 4TB unless you get it for free - and even then, make sure you make regular backups.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Here's the gist: Drive, Number of Drives in sample, Average Age, Failure Rate.

Seagate Desktop HDD.15
(ST4000DM000) 4.0TB 5199 0.3 3.8%
Seagate Barracuda
(ST3000DM001) 3.0TB 4252 1.4 9.8%

Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000
(HDS5C4040ALE630) 4.0TB 2587 0.8 1.5%
Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000
(HDS5C3030ALA630) 3.0TB 4592 1.7 0.9%




Take a look at the Seagate and WD 4TB failure rates - they are double the Hitachi 4TB failure rate!

Greg

Wow that failure rate is unacceptable! She is running Windows 7 Ultimate so no worries there. Thank you very much.
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
I've had a 2TB hybrid for about 5 months, must say it is pretty sweet as a media archive drive. though at that price, I would recommend getting two 2TB hybrids for just $23 extra, unless the sale makes it a killer deal.
HAF Dragon
(17 items)
 
Blue Dragon
(11 items)
 
W10M
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 9370 Asus Crosshair V Formula Z Asus R9-290 DCUII ~ ɌЭÐ M§D Asus R9-290 DCUII ~ ɌЭÐ M§D 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series OCZ VERTEX 3 OCZ VERTEX 3 Seagate Hybrid drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CoolerMaster Seidon 240M WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT BenQ XL2420T LOGITECH G19 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Coolmax 1200W gold+ Coolermaster HAF 912 LOGITECH G300 Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega 
Other
ASUS PCE-AC68 WIRELESS ADAPTER 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 4130 MSI 990FXA-GD80 MSI 7870 HAWK MSI 7870 HAWK 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ VERTEX 4 WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT BenQ XL2420T LOGITECH G19 
PowerCaseMouse
seasonic m12II 850w ANTEC NINE HUNDERED LOGITECH G300 
  hide details  
Reply
HAF Dragon
(17 items)
 
Blue Dragon
(11 items)
 
W10M
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 9370 Asus Crosshair V Formula Z Asus R9-290 DCUII ~ ɌЭÐ M§D Asus R9-290 DCUII ~ ɌЭÐ M§D 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series OCZ VERTEX 3 OCZ VERTEX 3 Seagate Hybrid drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CoolerMaster Seidon 240M WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT BenQ XL2420T LOGITECH G19 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Coolmax 1200W gold+ Coolermaster HAF 912 LOGITECH G300 Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega 
Other
ASUS PCE-AC68 WIRELESS ADAPTER 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 4130 MSI 990FXA-GD80 MSI 7870 HAWK MSI 7870 HAWK 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ VERTEX 4 WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT BenQ XL2420T LOGITECH G19 
PowerCaseMouse
seasonic m12II 850w ANTEC NINE HUNDERED LOGITECH G300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
It's the shell shocker coming up at 10 on newegg
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
169.99 pulled the trigger
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Recent upgrade
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 x58 DX58SO ASUS 6950 Geil DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex  WDC Samsung DVD/CDR Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseMouse
Dell 23" LCD Corsair 650D Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Looking for a reliable 4TB HD