Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › why are we still using windows?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

why are we still using windows?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This isn't a windows bashing rant, but I got my first tablet that came with android 4.2 and I have to say im impressed! And I'm a Windows 7 user too and a fan of that os.

It made me think, why hasn't this become a mainstream desktop os? Its snappy, simple, and free. I like how it manages background tasks and such on its own. And the synchronization with my e-mail and google play store is great.

I would think pc manufacturers would like it because its free and widely used already on mobile devices.
Superhans
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 OC@3.0Ghz, Stock Voltage GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L MSI GTX 950 2GD5T OC 4GB DDR2 800 OEM@833Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 1TB OEM DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 46" LED 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Keyboard corsair 550w Generic Mid-Tower Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Superhans
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 OC@3.0Ghz, Stock Voltage GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L MSI GTX 950 2GD5T OC 4GB DDR2 800 OEM@833Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 1TB OEM DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 46" LED 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Keyboard corsair 550w Generic Mid-Tower Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
-Games (no DirectX off Windows)
-Drivers (less support for some hardware on Linux)
-Niche programs. There are plenty of good Android or Linux programs, but some just don't stack up to certain Windows ones... For example I can't find a replacement for MPC+MadVR, or Foobar2000 with all my UI tweaks and DSPs.

In other words, it doesn't have anything to do with Windows itself! The enormous software/driver base W7/8 have basically keeps them relevant, otherwise Android/Linux would just run over Microsoft (which is exactly what happened when MS pushed into ARM territory).
Edited by brucethemoose - 4/3/14 at 11:53am
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
That's like asking why do we still use petroleum to fuel everything?

Well we know it sucks, but pretty much very car uses it, generators, boats, trains... It would be pretty hard to just change what is already established.

So to answer your question, we are because there isn't an alternative to beat it at every front; so we stay with it because it's easier.
Budget Rig V2
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5650 P6T DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 G.skill Sniper 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.skill Sniper Hitachi Raijintek Themis Windows 7 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 750M Corsair C70 Dell Mouse Samson SR950 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
G.Skill sniper G. Western Digital WD Green Asetek 510lc w/rosewill hypoborea push/pull 
OSMonitorCaseAudio
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell 144ox900 @75hz Corsair C70 Arctic White topping tp 12 amp 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Rig V2
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5650 P6T DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 G.skill Sniper 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.skill Sniper Hitachi Raijintek Themis Windows 7 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 750M Corsair C70 Dell Mouse Samson SR950 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
G.Skill sniper G. Western Digital WD Green Asetek 510lc w/rosewill hypoborea push/pull 
OSMonitorCaseAudio
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell 144ox900 @75hz Corsair C70 Arctic White topping tp 12 amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
I could see it being used for budget computer. Computers that are only used to surf the net, but then again thats essentially a tablet.
As the posters said above, we have built allot on this platform. There are so many programs available to windows as well as programers.
Most of us know microsoft has created a monopoly.
Time machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 C0 Evga 680i LT Galaxy GTX 460's SLI 4gb OCZ Gold 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2-150gb 1-500gb Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 22" LCD 
PowerCase
ocz 700watt Thermaltake armor extream 
  hide details  
Reply
Time machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 C0 Evga 680i LT Galaxy GTX 460's SLI 4gb OCZ Gold 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2-150gb 1-500gb Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 22" LCD 
PowerCase
ocz 700watt Thermaltake armor extream 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-m-a-n View Post

That's like asking why do we still use petroleum to fuel everything?

Well we know it sucks,...

So how does Windows suck exactly?
Desktop PC
(17 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Ci7-3960x Asus Rampage IV Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX1080 Ti Nvidia Geforce GTX1080 Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill F3-1866C10Q-32GAB Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Crucial M500 960GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Asus PG279Q Maxkeyboard Nighthawk X9 EVGA P2 1000W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Fractal Design Mini C Logitech G Pro Fiio Olympus E10k Sennheiser HD598 
Other
Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2690 x2 Intel S2600CP4 Samsung 128GB (8GBx16) 1600MHz ECC Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM x2 Micron M500 480GB x2 Cooler Master Hyper 212x x2 unRAID Pro 
PowerCaseOtherOther
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 Cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Ci7-2820QM Acer HMA51_HR Intel HD3000 Crucial 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
Mushkin Evo3 480GB Matashita UJ8B0AW DVD-RAM Microsoft Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop PC
(17 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Ci7-3960x Asus Rampage IV Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX1080 Ti Nvidia Geforce GTX1080 Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill F3-1866C10Q-32GAB Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Crucial M500 960GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Asus PG279Q Maxkeyboard Nighthawk X9 EVGA P2 1000W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Fractal Design Mini C Logitech G Pro Fiio Olympus E10k Sennheiser HD598 
Other
Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2690 x2 Intel S2600CP4 Samsung 128GB (8GBx16) 1600MHz ECC Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM x2 Micron M500 480GB x2 Cooler Master Hyper 212x x2 unRAID Pro 
PowerCaseOtherOther
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 Cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Ci7-2820QM Acer HMA51_HR Intel HD3000 Crucial 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
Mushkin Evo3 480GB Matashita UJ8B0AW DVD-RAM Microsoft Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Android isn't well-suited to use on a desktop system. It's used on mobile devices because it has been specifically designed to run on them. A purpose-designed mobile OS is a terrible choice for desktop use. Look at Windows 8. Microsoft stuck a mobile interface as the default for desktop use and hasn't heard the end of it. Now imagine using nothing but a mobile interface on a desktop with no touchscreen, along with an OS whose main purpose is to deliver media content. It would be a disaster.

It's also not particularly snappy or simple. It's basically a UI and a virtual machine (Dalvik) running on top of Linux. It's a resource hog, and owes its success to two things: 1) because it's Linux-based, it's free; and 2) the cost of the high-end ARM hardware needed to run Android effectively is very low. If ARM hardware cost as much as x86 hardware, Android would have the reputation that Windows Vista did when it came out. Because of these two factors, Android took off, and now it has a massive established ecosystem that's given it an entrenched place in the market.

Regular desktop Linux distros can compete with WIndows, but the problem is that there is also a massive ecosystem of Windows desktop software that gives WIndows an entrenched place in that market. Both Windows Mobile and desktop Linux are fine products--but they're facing an uphill battle against Android and Windows, respectively.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightEMatt View Post

So how does Windows suck exactly?


Petroleum sucks!! That's what I meant smile.gif
It's dirty, unsustainable, not accessible to everyone. but does that mean I'm gonna only drive an electric car? Or only use solar and wind energy? No, we will live with fossil fuels until an alternative comes. Just as with computers. We will use whatever version of windows, until something can do it better!

But as far as windows is concerned, it isn't perfect, there are minor gripes that I have, but it's not huge. And I certainly don't hate it!

Example, I think that Mavericks is organized better than windows, but I'm not gonna go get a mac just because of that!

And yes my analogy to petroleum being the established fuel in the world, is to windows being the established operating system in the marketplace as the quote above explained.
Budget Rig V2
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5650 P6T DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 G.skill Sniper 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.skill Sniper Hitachi Raijintek Themis Windows 7 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 750M Corsair C70 Dell Mouse Samson SR950 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
G.Skill sniper G. Western Digital WD Green Asetek 510lc w/rosewill hypoborea push/pull 
OSMonitorCaseAudio
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell 144ox900 @75hz Corsair C70 Arctic White topping tp 12 amp 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Rig V2
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5650 P6T DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 G.skill Sniper 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.skill Sniper Hitachi Raijintek Themis Windows 7 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 750M Corsair C70 Dell Mouse Samson SR950 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
G.Skill sniper G. Western Digital WD Green Asetek 510lc w/rosewill hypoborea push/pull 
OSMonitorCaseAudio
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell 144ox900 @75hz Corsair C70 Arctic White topping tp 12 amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

-Games (no DirectX off Windows)
Most games are written in a way that allows for OpenGL support (either via abstracting the the graphic APIs into in-game classes or via supporting OpenGL out of the box.
It's also worth noting that OpenGL is more prevalent than DirectX; and that there are plenty of games for Android already (it is, after all, running circles around Windows Phone / Win8 RT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

-Drivers (less support for some hardware on Linux)
Not really an issue. OEM machines with Android pre-installed will have the right drivers for them (as seen in the mobile / tablet sectors) and if it's a custom build then just buy the hardware that you know is well supported (though I've never once checked for Linux compatibility in the 15 years I've been running Linux and seldom run into driver issues - in fact I have more issues finding the right drivers for Windows than I do for Linux)/
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

-Niche programs. There are plenty of good Android or Linux programs, but some just don't stack up to certain Windows ones... For example I can't find a replacement for MPC+MadVR, or Foobar2000 with all my UI tweaks and DSPs.
That's only an issue if you try to replicate your Windows set up verbatim on Linux / Android. The fact is there's often plenty of other ways to achieve the same end results; sometimes those methods are better, sometimes they're worse. Usually though, I find Windows to be rather inflexible when it comes to niche problems in a way that Linux makes things easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

In other words, it doesn't have anything to do with Windows itself!

The enormous software/driver base W7/8 have basically keeps them relevant, otherwise Android/Linux would just run over Microsoft (which is exactly what happened when MS pushed into ARM territory).
I disagree. The reason Windows has a monopoly on the desktop is because it has a monopoly on the desktop. It dominates the market, it controls the market, it's what people expect. Asking why people don't use non-Windows OSs is like asking why people don't eat purple carrots; they less available to buy and people have gotten into the mindset of thinking anything other than orange is bad.

And the reason why MS got obliterated on the ARM market is the same reason Win7 still outsells Win8 and why every new update to Windows 8 regresses it more to a classic Win7 state; it's because Windows 8 is total garbage and no sane person wants to run it.

But to be fair, running Android on a desktop PC would be just as insane. Apple seem to be the only sensible people when the topic of different computing paradigms comes up:
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but you know those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
post #9 of 9
Like Plan9 said about the drivers, the only time I need to go and get each driver for my hardware in Linux is a simple one the Nvidia drivers. I do not need to search around just to find it, talking about you windows LAN drivers.

I think one of the big reasons is that its what people expect to see on a computer. A lot of people don't know there are alternatives or they think its horrible and steals your info because it is free. Personally I use windows only for games and Microsoft office. But each update Linux is competing more and more with that.
My System
(21 items)
 
Server/HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 Asus m5a99fx pro EVGA 660ti  Gskill 8GB F3-1600C9-8GXM x2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB x2 OCZ Agility 3 Sasmsung 840 EVO Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 500gb Asus DRW-24B1ST Asus BC-12B1ST cool master hyper 212 evo 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch  Asus 23" VH238 Asus 23" VH238H 
PowerCase
Corsair CX600M Fractal Design Define R5  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3 6100 Asus Z170M-Plus something 16gb DDR4 Western Digital 500GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 2TB Western Digital Red 3TB HGST Deskter 4TB Unraid 6.x 
OSPowerCase
Ubuntu Server - VM Corsair CX430  Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(21 items)
 
Server/HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 Asus m5a99fx pro EVGA 660ti  Gskill 8GB F3-1600C9-8GXM x2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB x2 OCZ Agility 3 Sasmsung 840 EVO Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 500gb Asus DRW-24B1ST Asus BC-12B1ST cool master hyper 212 evo 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch  Asus 23" VH238 Asus 23" VH238H 
PowerCase
Corsair CX600M Fractal Design Define R5  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3 6100 Asus Z170M-Plus something 16gb DDR4 Western Digital 500GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 2TB Western Digital Red 3TB HGST Deskter 4TB Unraid 6.x 
OSPowerCase
Ubuntu Server - VM Corsair CX430  Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › why are we still using windows?