Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › itx build - please advise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

itx build - please advise - Page 5

post #41 of 42
Thread Starter 
It helps, thanks, samwisekoi! smile.gif Just a couple of questions. One, I guess you use air cooling. I read that this one is often recommended on here?: Noctua NH-L9a

Any thoughts on it?

Two, you mentioned, a side mounted adapter or the dual bay tray? Do you prefer the dual bay? By side-mounted, you mean one of those brackets (2.5 to 3.5?) or?

It seems like a good method if going with air. I also thought of velcro-attaching to the PSU and same or similar with maybe double-sided adhesive (sticky) to the floor under the fan (right at the front of the case). That lets me use a rad if I wanted.

But, with no OC, I guess I don't need it?

Pics I'd be interested in is more detail of the dual 2.5 drives mount setup.... how they fit in... you use the optical rack with it? The 3.5 tray disconnects from the drive tray?

Also, I was wondering how much space is below the tray - one reads a lot of owners of the case saying it takes up a lot of room so they take the entire rack out. Not necessarily doing liquid/closed loop cooling. I guess it's not a big deal to remove the rack if you need to get in there, though.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus P5Q EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Kingston HyperX 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerMouse Pad
Windows 7/Linux Corsair HX520W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus P5Q EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Kingston HyperX 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerMouse Pad
Windows 7/Linux Corsair HX520W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post

It helps, thanks, samwisekoi! smile.gif Just a couple of questions. One, I guess you use air cooling. I read that this one is often recommended on here?: Noctua NH-L9a

Any thoughts on it?

I use a stock i7 cooler on an i5-2405S (low power). Low wattage and plenty of power for gaming. No noise from the Intel cooler.

The Noctua NH-L9a is slightly larger than the 95mm CPU area, so it might be a problem on some motherboards. If it fits, it would be a good choice. The "i" version (NH-L9i) is exactly 95mm square, and would be a good pick for boards with less space to spare. Noctua has really good compatibility charts on their site.
Quote:
Two, you mentioned, a side mounted adapter or the dual bay tray? Do you prefer the dual bay? By side-mounted, you mean one of those brackets (2.5 to 3.5?) or?

I just meant you need to use an adapter that has mounting holes on the sides, not just on the bottom. Most dual-2.5" adapters do, but some of the single adapters that ship with SSDs only have mounting holes on the bottom of the adapters. Those wont work.
Quote:
It seems like a good method if going with air. I also thought of velcro-attaching to the PSU and same or similar with maybe double-sided adhesive (sticky) to the floor under the fan (right at the front of the case). That lets me use a rad if I wanted.

But, with no OC, I guess I don't need it?

I think you might have room for a 120mm all-in-one rad if you didn't have the 3.5 bay. It would be tight, and frankly, I don't think it is needed unless you are overclocking. Which, IMHO, is a bad thing to do much of in this case.
Quote:
Pics I'd be interested in is more detail of the dual 2.5 drives mount setup.... how they fit in... you use the optical rack with it? The 3.5 tray disconnects from the drive tray?

Also, I was wondering how much space is below the tray - one reads a lot of owners of the case saying it takes up a lot of room so they take the entire rack out. Not necessarily doing liquid/closed loop cooling. I guess it's not a big deal to remove the rack if you need to get in there, though.

The 3.5" mount hangs underneath the DVD tray, and is easy to remove. The adapter I used just mounted in like a normal 3.5" drive.

I've buttoned up the PC already, but here is an annotated photo. There is about 5 1/2" under the DVD tray, but just a couple under the 3.5" tray. This photo makes it look like there are a lot of wires under there, but because I got the Sugo with PSU, the cables are short, so it isn't bad at all. There is clear air from the intake fan to the CPU cooler. Most of the extra cables I bunch up next to the PSU on the GPU side of the case.


Annotated photo of Sugo05 drive mounting.

This was the best small case I could find at the time, and running on air with no or minor OC, it works really well.

- samwisekoi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › itx build - please advise