Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Hardware.fr] AMD FreeSync ': Proposal adopted by VESA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Hardware.fr] AMD FreeSync ': Proposal adopted by VESA - Page 7

post #61 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfoo View Post

While AMD and whoever supports FreeSync does it for free? There are no R&D and support after launch costs?

Yes, it requires new hardware, just like G-Sync, but because it is a next generation DP feature. That probably ALL devices will get without paying AMD directly.
While nVidia rigged G-Sync to profit directly.

But yeah, I am the "blind" or pretending to be "blind" one that fails to see that.

It is an OPTIONAL feature of DP 1.2a, not a mandatory feature and no word on DP 1.3 implementation has been made.

The big thing is that it is OPTIONAL, there are already a ton of optional feature in DP that aren't included on mass produced hardware, due to the limited market for it. Unfortunately there is a very large chance that this will happen with FreeSync, as outside of gaming VRR in the desktop platform has very little reason to exist. The only reason it is in laptops via eDP connectivity is to save on battery life.

People in here are acting like this announcement is stating that this feature is going to be in DP in the future, and that is completely wrong. It just said that VESA picked it up as an optional feature that manufacturers can use at their discretion.

Optional =/= mandatory!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It is an OPTIONAL feature of DP 1.2a, not a mandatory feature and no word on DP 1.3 implementation has been made.

The big thing is that it is OPTIONAL, there are already a ton of optional feature in DP that aren't included on mass produced hardware, due to the limited market for it. Unfortunately there is a very large chance that this will happen with FreeSync, as outside of gaming VRR in the desktop platform has very little reason to exist. The only reason it is in laptops via eDP connectivity is to save on battery life.

People in here are acting like this announcement is stating that this feature is going to be in DP in the future, and that is completely wrong. It just said that VESA picked it up as an optional feature that manufacturers can use at their discretion.

Optional =/= mandatory!

I'm willing to bet money some manufacturers will include it though....... probably with a gamer/Freesync branding....... at a mark up. Which is why I can't get my head around people bellyaching about Nvidia charging $150 for a card enabling G-Sync that you can buy now.
Meh
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.7GHz Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 GTX Titan 16GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB  2x 500GB WD Green RAID1 + WD 2TB Green  Noctua Nh-DH 14 Win 8 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Shimian Achieva 2560x1440p IPS Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-A05N 
  hide details  
Reply
Meh
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.7GHz Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 GTX Titan 16GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB  2x 500GB WD Green RAID1 + WD 2TB Green  Noctua Nh-DH 14 Win 8 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Shimian Achieva 2560x1440p IPS Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-A05N 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It is an OPTIONAL feature of DP 1.2a, not a mandatory feature and no word on DP 1.3 implementation has been made.

The big thing is that it is OPTIONAL, there are already a ton of optional feature in DP that aren't included on mass produced hardware, due to the limited market for it. Unfortunately there is a very large chance that this will happen with FreeSync, as outside of gaming VRR in the desktop platform has very little reason to exist. The only reason it is in laptops via eDP connectivity is to save on battery life.

People in here are acting like this announcement is stating that this feature is going to be in DP in the future, and that is completely wrong. It just said that VESA picked it up as an optional feature that manufacturers can use at their discretion.

Optional =/= mandatory!

I doubt this is a real issue tho, since this technology is such a game changer. Manufacturers will want to implement this.I predict in 5 years time it will be tougher to find a monitor or TV without variable refresh rate than ones that have it.
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2207 View Post

I'm willing to bet money some manufacturers will include it though....... probably with a gamer/Freesync branding....... at a mark up. Which is why I can't get my head around people bellyaching about Nvidia charging $150 for a card enabling G-Sync that you can buy now.

Oh, I am almost certain this will happen. It will be a feature on "Gaming" displays, because frankly that is the only market that benefits from it. Since it won't be a feature on every display, it will be marked up to recover costs of limited production (compared to a normal display).

Either way, people are getting overly excited about this announcement, and making it out to be some major news. The truth of it is this is just another very small step in a very long walk. It has simply taken FreeSync from a thought on paper to a VERY optional feature of DP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

I doubt this is a real issue tho, since this technology is such a game changer. Manufacturers will want to implement this.I predict in 5 years time it will be tougher to find a monitor or TV without variable refresh rate than ones that have it.

It is only a game changer for gamers, no other user in the desktop environment benefits from it. The only benefit it provides to laptop users is extending, slightly, battery life by decreasing the total power usage of the panel display. Battery life isn't a concern in the desktop environment, and video playback is at a very fixed rate; so there is no benefit to those situations.

So, what does this mean? Well from the perspective of the manufacturer, why would they spend extra to put a feature in displays that won't benefit their users?

Just for clarity that extra feature is the ASIC required in the panel to make this happen; we see one ASIC on the market via the G-Sync module. Yes, FreeSync will require some form of ASIC as well.

In the end you have a situation of a technology that benefits a handful of your user base, making it less appealing to manufacturers on their normal production displays. This is why it will become a feature on "Gaming" displays, at a premium, and won't be on your normal displays; because usage outside of gaming sees no benefit at all to it!
Edited by PostalTwinkie - 4/5/14 at 10:29am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

I doubt this is a real issue tho, since this technology is such a game changer. Manufacturers will want to implement this.I predict in 5 years time it will be tougher to find a monitor or TV without variable refresh rate than ones that have it.

People will downplay anything from AMD. Even when it makes no sense to.

Lol I find it hilarious.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2207 View Post

I'm willing to bet money some manufacturers will include it though....... probably with a gamer/Freesync branding....... at a mark up. Which is why I can't get my head around people bellyaching about Nvidia charging $150 for a card enabling G-Sync that you can buy now.

If that is the case a monitor with both variable refresh rate and Gsync will cost even more.

So what is your point?
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Oh, I am almost certain this will happen. It will be a feature on "Gaming" displays, because frankly that is the only market that benefits from it. Since it won't be a feature on every display, it will be marked up to recover costs of limited production (compared to a normal display).

I see your logic, but honestly in my experience that's not how technology marketing works. So many low end appliances offer features that very few people use. Nearly every Blu-ray player features Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora. Almost all TV's being produced now are smart TV's. The real cost of supporting variable refresh rate isn't that significant. The ability to advertise those features will make their product more desirable.
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 422
So what does it matter if they will charge more or less? If they charge nothing you should support freesynch instead of gsynch because its free. If they charge more for it you should still support freesynch instead of gsynch because its not tied to one company...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 422
This is excellent news. Open standards are ALWAYS a good thing, especially when it helps out gamers like this. thumb.gif
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 422

Ignoring all aspects of what's "right" or "wrong":

 

At G-Sync's pricing it was never going to come close to being universal. With Freesync being easy and cheap for manufacturers to implement, it massively increases the chance of getting universal, or close enough to universal, VRR.

 

It works like this:

1) Companies see G-Sync monitors have a lot of value.

2) Add Freesync to top-end monitors. Increases sell price of monitor

3) Other manufacturers do the same, because it's cheap and easy

4) They start using it as a selling point for lower-end monitors

5) They include it everywhere, because it'd be worse not to have it when everyone else does.

 

We can't get to step 3 at $175 per G-Sync module, but we can if and only if Freesync is very cheap to implement. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Hardware.fr] AMD FreeSync ': Proposal adopted by VESA