Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Waterloop changes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waterloop changes!

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Yo guys!

I'm thinking of changing my waterloop a bit, but I need some answeres before I do.
I want to add another resv in my loop, a cylinder below my pump. What do you think? Look at the pic below!

post #2 of 42
Can you give us a little more information here? What pump are you using right now? where is ther res your currently using? why do you want to add another res/pump?

I guess I just dont know what you want an opinion on? it looks like it will fit. The more water you have in the loop the more heat you can transfer... larger/ more res space = more water
post #3 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidSnail View Post

Can you give us a little more information here? What pump are you using right now? where is ther res your currently using? why do you want to add another res/pump?

I guess I just dont know what you want an opinion on? it looks like it will fit. The more water you have in the loop the more heat you can transfer... larger/ more res space = more water

Sorry I made it unclear, I have painted where I have my res + pump. Its a XSPC X2O 750 Dual Bay Reservoir Pump V4 (Res + pump combo).
I wan't to add a cylinder where I have painted, will it affect the loop in a negative way? Because I have an idea on how I want it too look, but since I don't want to reduce the water speed in the loop. I'd hope any of you know if this affect the loop smile.gif
post #4 of 42
Im going to stick with what I said originally... It will not hinder the loop in any way (to my knowledge at least, I could be wrong) If anything It would slightly benefit the loop because you have more water in it. I wouldn't bank on any noticable improvements.

im still kind of confused why your adding a second pump though. The cylinder res could look nice (and from what im gathering aesthetics is the only reason your adding the new res), but if your loop already works fine with the pump you have, why add a res/pump combo?

any way to get a clearer pic/diagram of all your components? im curious the order of things.

Like I said though, If your worried about it hurting performance, your fine.
post #5 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidSnail View Post

Im going to stick with what I said originally... It will not hinder the loop in any way (to my knowledge at least, I could be wrong) If anything It would slightly benefit the loop because you have more water in it. I wouldn't bank on any noticable improvements.

im still kind of confused why your adding a second pump though. The cylinder res could look nice (and from what im gathering aesthetics is the only reason your adding the new res), but if your loop already works fine with the pump you have, why add a res/pump combo?

any way to get a clearer pic/diagram of all your components? im curious the order of things.

Like I said though, If your worried about it hurting performance, your fine.

Maybe I was unclear again, but I'm not adding another pump, just a cylinder to make it look nice.
But if I change it the way I want it, the water will be pushed down, thats why I'm asking if it will affect the loop smile.gif

Right now it is: Pump/Res > 360 rad > CPU > GPU > 120 rad > Repeat.

How I want it to be: Pump/Res > Cylinder > 120 rad > GPU > CPU > 360 rad > Repeat.
post #6 of 42
I think the confusion is from the illustration. Looks like where you labeled the res/pump is pointing the new tube res. It will be fine I did the same thing. Would recommend doing the inlet and outlet both at the bottom. You just loosen the top port while running to bleed the air out.
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

I think the confusion is from the illustration. Looks like where you labeled the res/pump is pointing the new tube res. It will be fine I did the same thing. Would recommend doing the inlet and outlet both at the bottom. You just loosen the top port while running to bleed the air out.


Yeah, The confusion is mainly from the graphic... I agree with the inlet at the bottom... unless you want a waterfall sound and constantly having to pee...

Adding the cylinder will make it look nice... im partial to cylinders with dyed water in them.. looks kinda sweet :-p
post #8 of 42
I wouldnt add the res cylinder, the whole point of having a bay res is to not make the pump and res visible and make tube management easier. Imo its looks more neat and stealthy as it is now I wouldnt mess with it. Visible res is from the past, they take alot of space and are ugly.
My PC
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gaming KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti EXOC Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8), 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital WD15EADS 1.5TB Samsung 840 250GB Crucial MX100 256GB Alphacool Eisblock XPX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 360mm Alphacool ST30 140mm Alphacool Eisbecher 150mm Alphacool VPP655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Masterkleer (10/13mm) Compression fittings (10/13mm) Corsair SP120 High Performance Phobya 6 Touch 30W 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer Kryographics Titan X (Pascal) Aquacomputer Active XCS backplate Watercool Heatkiller SW-X MB-Set Alphacool Monsta 240mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional Retail AOC Agon ag271qx CM Storm Quickfire Rappid-I Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Logitech G502 Steelseries QcK Logitech 5:1 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gaming KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti EXOC Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8), 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital WD15EADS 1.5TB Samsung 840 250GB Crucial MX100 256GB Alphacool Eisblock XPX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 360mm Alphacool ST30 140mm Alphacool Eisbecher 150mm Alphacool VPP655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Masterkleer (10/13mm) Compression fittings (10/13mm) Corsair SP120 High Performance Phobya 6 Touch 30W 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer Kryographics Titan X (Pascal) Aquacomputer Active XCS backplate Watercool Heatkiller SW-X MB-Set Alphacool Monsta 240mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional Retail AOC Agon ag271qx CM Storm Quickfire Rappid-I Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Logitech G502 Steelseries QcK Logitech 5:1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 42
Pumping into a reservoir isn't a very good idea. Unless you keep the completely cylinder filled, the air gap will break your pumps pressure and you lose a decent amount of flow past the res if your lucky. Most likely, and mathematically, you will lose all flow.

Fluid dynamics for your current system works like this. You have a sealed loop, with a res (with air gap), pump, and rest of loop. This works because your pump can push all the water to the air gap (reservoir). Once it hits this gap, the pump no longer is delivering any flow (pressure = zero in res) Your pump then sits beneath/after this gap (as it is fed by the res.). It is essentially submerged, so water doesn't have to be pushed into the pump. As long as it is submerged, it can pull the water in it needs. Gravity and suction head (very weak) are what achieve this.

The Bernoulli equation can be used to calculate this effect. Essentially the math states the pressure returns to zero in the reservoir as mentioned. Zero pressure means zero force. Zero force means your pump is achieving zero flow through that component. It is taking the ~zero velocity water and re pressurizing it,thus giving it the ability to flow again. You have no pump after the second res, so you have no ability to restore flow.

A reservoir after your pump means you have another air gap right after your pump. That means your pump cannot pump past it. The only way to pump past this would be to keep the tube reservoir COMPLETELY filled. So you would have a res, but you would basically be treating it as a large diameter tube instead of a traditional reservoir.

If you want two reservoirs without two pumps, your best bet is to put the pump on the bottom of the second res, with the second res completely airfree. That way gravity and suction head can pull the water it needs from the first res which acts to trap your excess air in addition to holding water. Your second reservoir again would just become a large diameter tube.

You will not see any temperature improvement as the volume of water is too small to make a difference. Your temps may appear slightly better until your loop heats up. Once it does, your back to where you started. So you gain a few minutes at best of marginally improved temperatures. More water does not equal more cooling. More cooling comes from heat transfer out of the system. Heat transfer out of the system is almost completely done by the radiator. Tube and res heat losses are marginal. Unless you REALLY like the way it looks and are willing to move your pump, do not do this. You are throwing money away for no cooling improvement.
Desk Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K P67A-GD65 (MS-7681) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 32 Gb 1600 DDR3 HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 256 SSD Samsung 1TB SSD 2 Hitachi 3TB 7.2k in RAID 1 2 Monsta 560mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 Magicool Dual 180s W7 Dell 3014 30" EVGA Supernova 1300 
CaseAudio
Built into furniture Soundblaster 
  hide details  
Reply
Desk Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K P67A-GD65 (MS-7681) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 32 Gb 1600 DDR3 HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 256 SSD Samsung 1TB SSD 2 Hitachi 3TB 7.2k in RAID 1 2 Monsta 560mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 Magicool Dual 180s W7 Dell 3014 30" EVGA Supernova 1300 
CaseAudio
Built into furniture Soundblaster 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Jam View Post

Pumping into a reservoir isn't a very good idea. Unless you keep the completely cylinder filled, the air gap will break your pumps pressure and you lose a decent amount of flow past the res if your lucky. Most likely, and mathematically, you will lose all flow.

I thought like this and thats why this cylinder has a small tube inside. http://www.aquatuning.se/product_info.php/info/p11299_Alphacool-Cape-Corp-Coolplex-Pro-25-LT.html
I will fill the water up to the tube and therefore it will not stop the waterflow, right? And then there is a small part above the tubing that is not filled with water smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Waterloop changes!