Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › I though I was finished my first loop, but then........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I though I was finished my first loop, but then........ - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Any idea what your flow rate is? You should have 1-1.5Gpm. I would think 2 480's would give a DT of under 10C at full load.
post #12 of 23
Definitely remove the monsta. Other than that there can't be anything wrong except for the flowrate. Your pump should be enough as long as there isn't anything wrong with your loop. Make sure you don't have the inlet/outlet of your CPU waterblock connected inversely and that your connections are kink free.
Orthrus
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus V Extreme EVGA GTX 670 FTW EVGA GTX 670 FTW 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz 8GB HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Custom Water Loop Windows 10 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
DELL UltraSharp U2515H Logitech G15 Refresh EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder SteelSeries QcK Superlux HD681 
  hide details  
Reply
Orthrus
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus V Extreme EVGA GTX 670 FTW EVGA GTX 670 FTW 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz 8GB HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Custom Water Loop Windows 10 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
DELL UltraSharp U2515H Logitech G15 Refresh EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder SteelSeries QcK Superlux HD681 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
Deff make sure there is no kinks. In my rig I have the 2 480s and 3 blocks. The longest tube run is from the pump out the case up the mobo tray and to the top rad. That is a rather long run. Still, just before that rad I have a flow sensor showing 240 lph so your pump should be putting out similar flow rates unless there is flow restriction somewhere
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hey guys thanks for all the help, after reading all your suggestions I decided to just tear it down and start fresh. With the monsta, gone and the 2 480's in push pull and a couple fans on the other side of the basement as exaust all seems to be going much better. I've now got deltas at around 15c during a 30 min loop of firestrike extreme and my gpu's are just topping 42c with a nice overclock. I only thought the monsta wouldn't work as efficiently, I had no idea it could actually hurt my temps. And as a bonus my pump is at setting 3 and fans at 800rpm. I also think I may have had an airlock issue on the top rad, as the fittings are pointing down, when I was playing with pump speed last night I heard some gurgling coming from the top rad. Out of curiosity an airlock in the top rad would kill flowrate thus raising temps correct?

I guess now all I have to do is figure what to do with an extra 240 monsta, i don't really like external mounting rads.......I feel another build coming on biggrin.gif


Man I love this forum smile.gif
Thanks again
Edited by eliteone - 4/8/14 at 12:34pm
post #15 of 23
I feel ya on the top rad burping issue. Took me about 30 min of tilting my 900D in different directions to get that air pocket out and the rad totally full. Glad you got an improvement! Now post some pics of the new config :-)
post #16 of 23
So what did we learn from this as I suspected all along I still think you had a problem with flow rate. You already had more than enough rad space - the monsta your temps got better even with the worst airflow you still should get those temps you report now so your sandwich really isint a bad idea other than your pump couldn't cope with it. the extra rad really wasn't needed but if you ad more gpu's or over clock more the extra rad would help. I would try setting your res as a inline pass through and see if that helps with your previous setup. like I said im still new to this so
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteone View Post

Hey guys thanks for all the help, after reading all your suggestions I decided to just tear it down and start fresh. With the monsta, gone and the 2 480's in push pull and a couple fans on the other side of the basement as exaust all seems to be going much better. I've now got deltas at around 15c during a 30 min loop of firestrike extreme and my gpu's are just topping 42c with a nice overclock. I only thought the monsta wouldn't work as efficiently, I had no idea it could actually hurt my temps. And as a bonus my pump is at setting 3 and fans at 800rpm. I also think I may have had an airlock issue on the top rad, as the fittings are pointing down, when I was playing with pump speed last night I heard some gurgling coming from the top rad. Out of curiosity an airlock in the top rad would kill flowrate thus raising temps correct?

I guess now all I have to do is figure what to do with an extra 240 monsta, i don't really like external mounting rads.......I feel another build coming on biggrin.gif


Man I love this forum smile.gif
Thanks again
thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Glad to hear things are going better now!

If you're hearing gurgles, you definitely have air bubbles in that top rad. It's not so much how it affects the overall flow rate, as the fact that flow is completely blocked in the sections of the radiator with air in them, so those parts won't do any cooling at all. Further, if the bubble is big enough and it migrates into the plenum chamber, it could potentially block everything. It sometimes take a lot of work to bleed out a stubborn bubble--I had to turn my case completely upside down, sideways, etc. etc. multiple times to clear all the bubbles--but you're going to get even better performance once you do.
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellcht View Post

So what did we learn from this as I suspected all along I still think you had a problem with flow rate. You already had more than enough rad space - the monsta your temps got better even with the worst airflow you still should get those temps you report now so your sandwich really isint a bad idea other than your pump couldn't cope with it. the extra rad really wasn't needed but if you ad more gpu's or over clock more the extra rad would help. I would try setting your res as a inline pass through and see if that helps with your previous setup. like I said im still new to this so
No, rad sandwich is always a bad idea. There's always a better arrangement with the same rads and fans un-sandwiched. Flow rate had nothing to do with it, in fact there's no evidence he ever had any flow problems to begin with. As he stated, with the sandwich his pump was set at 5; now it's on 3 and he's still getting better temps. One 240 rad isn't going to cripple anything to nearly that extent solely because of its restriction.
Edited by threephi - 4/8/14 at 4:27pm
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma3059 View Post

I feel ya on the top rad burping issue. Took me about 30 min of tilting my 900D in different directions to get that air pocket out and the rad totally full. Glad you got an improvement! Now post some pics of the new config :-)

So here is the new and improved basement smile.gif have an sp120 and a noctua setup as exhaust on the other side. even freed up some room for two front intakes smile.gif Not choking all those fans for air sure makes things a lot more quiet as well.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

and the rig, still have some sleeving to do and fixup them damn wires, but its late and titan fall is calling biggrin.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I'm finding watercooling to be an addiction, I'm already spying a spot for a 30mm 240 rad at the front intake....... and some hardline tubing, man my wifes gonna kill me biggrin.gif
post #20 of 23
That looks a lot better. Glad things worked out. Always a plus having those intake fans. Its hard enough to maintane possitive preasure as it is with that case. Negative preasure would make it even more of a dust magnet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › I though I was finished my first loop, but then........