Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Need a good combanation for both game recording and video editing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a good combanation for both game recording and video editing

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey guys so I'm trying to learn how to record gameplay and edit the footage the throw up on YouTube but I'm having some severe problems with every recording and editing program I use. For recording I have used:

FRAPS: quality is awesome but gives me HUGE lag and utterly massive files
Open broadcast Software: Quality is OK but it has been giving me problems lately, it won't let me select any game I play from the drop down menu
Bandicam: quality is crap

For editing I have tried:
Avidemux: won't let me fast forward through footage, no idea why
LIGHTWORKS: gives me problems with "variable frame rates" so I can't export and completed videos.

I'm really getting frustrated here, I have already lost some good footage because of problems with converting video files and am ready to give up on the whole business. Does anyone have any reccomendations for what to use?
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
I youtube and stream for a living.

I record with Fraps, set to half quality, 30 FPS.

For editing I use Sony Vegas Pro 12, set the render output to 60 fps to smooth out the footage, even though YouTube is only 30FPS, that setting generally just smooths it out.

Fraps shouldn't kill your FPS that bad with your rig, try 30 fps and half quality
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost23 View Post

I youtube and stream for a living.

I record with Fraps, set to half quality, 30 FPS.

For editing I use Sony Vegas Pro 12, set the render output to 60 fps to smooth out the footage, even though YouTube is only 30FPS, that setting generally just smooths it out.

Fraps shouldn't kill your FPS that bad with your rig, try 30 fps and half quality

Thanks, I was recording at full and 60fps with fraps. I'll try that tonight. Do you have any editing software other than Sony Vegas you would reccomend?
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
*combination
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
I use DXTory to record, and Handbrake to compress/render. Handbrake is free and offers lots of user control for quality, etc, whereas DXTory needs a paid licence but is extremely versatile.
There's plenty of YouTube tutorials on both, I highly recommend them.
For editing, I use Windows Live Movie Maker. It's got some basic functionality, and is pretty easy to use, plus it's free. However, you can't do nearly as many things as in something like Vegas Pro, though it does a great job for simply editing gameplay and putting different clips and audio together.
Edited by KaiserFrederick - 4/10/14 at 10:51pm
post #6 of 13
If Bandicam isn't good quality, then I have a suggestion... one you're probably not going to like either.

Either get a dedicated capture card OR get an Nvidia GTX 770 or 780.

The dedicated capture card would eliminate any lag you're seeing right now pretty easily.
And the nvidia GTX 770/780 have a little something called ShadowPlay which allows you to either record 1080P @ 60 FPS in real time or do this delayed recording thing that can save the last 20 minutes into a cache so you can record a video at any time you want. The best part is it only imparts about a 5% performance penalty, even recording 1080P @ 60 FPS.

Just some food for thought. If you don't want to do all of that, as others have said, FRAPS @ half quality and 30 FPS will work very well and shouldn't drag your system down very much.
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
I've used MSI Afterburner for years. They added a prerecord feature like shadowplay has too. No performance hits or lag for me either. I definitely like it a lot better than FRAPS. Give it a try, its free.
post #8 of 13
I do same as this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8dJxyBQbEM

With very good results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNaSWP7z6HQ

However while recording my fps is around 50, quite annoying to play like that for a long time.
2013
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost G.SKILL 1866 Sniper 2x4 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Basic Crucial MX200 Windows 10 HP IPS 23-inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Be quiet! BN144 System Power 7 500W NZXT Tempest 210 Zowie FK1 
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost G.SKILL 1866 Sniper 2x4 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Basic Crucial MX200 Windows 10 HP IPS 23-inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Be quiet! BN144 System Power 7 500W NZXT Tempest 210 Zowie FK1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILNOK View Post

I've used MSI Afterburner for years. They added a prerecord feature like shadowplay has too. No performance hits or lag for me either. I definitely like it a lot better than FRAPS. Give it a try, its free.

This, and if you have a ton of ram, it's even better and has no 20 minute limit like shadow play. I have dxtory, bandicam, fraps, playclaw, and mirillis action!. I prefer ab. That said, I am going to pick up lite cam today , see how that is.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost23 View Post

I youtube and stream for a living.

I record with Fraps, set to half quality, 30 FPS.

For editing I use Sony Vegas Pro 12, set the render output to 60 fps to smooth out the footage, even though YouTube is only 30FPS, that setting generally just smooths it out.

Fraps shouldn't kill your FPS that bad with your rig, try 30 fps and half quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserFrederick View Post

I use DXTory to record, and Handbrake to compress/render. Handbrake is free and offers lots of user control for quality, etc, whereas DXTory needs a paid licence but is extremely versatile.
There's plenty of YouTube tutorials on both, I highly recommend them.
For editing, I use Windows Live Movie Maker. It's got some basic functionality, and is pretty easy to use, plus it's free. However, you can't do nearly as many things as in something like Vegas Pro, though it does a great job for simply editing gameplay and putting different clips and audio together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

If Bandicam isn't good quality, then I have a suggestion... one you're probably not going to like either.

Either get a dedicated capture card OR get an Nvidia GTX 770 or 780.

The dedicated capture card would eliminate any lag you're seeing right now pretty easily.
And the nvidia GTX 770/780 have a little something called ShadowPlay which allows you to either record 1080P @ 60 FPS in real time or do this delayed recording thing that can save the last 20 minutes into a cache so you can record a video at any time you want. The best part is it only imparts about a 5% performance penalty, even recording 1080P @ 60 FPS.

Just some food for thought. If you don't want to do all of that, as others have said, FRAPS @ half quality and 30 FPS will work very well and shouldn't drag your system down very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILNOK View Post

I've used MSI Afterburner for years. They added a prerecord feature like shadowplay has too. No performance hits or lag for me either. I definitely like it a lot better than FRAPS. Give it a try, its free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisaroth View Post

I do same as this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8dJxyBQbEM

With very good results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNaSWP7z6HQ

However while recording my fps is around 50, quite annoying to play like that for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post

This, and if you have a ton of ram, it's even better and has no 20 minute limit like shadow play. I have dxtory, bandicam, fraps, playclaw, and mirillis action!. I prefer ab. That said, I am going to pick up lite cam today , see how that is.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks guys, I picked up Sony Vegas 12 and I love it. Its like I'm actually USING the software and not fighting with it. The built in tutorials don't go amiss either. I decided to go with FRAPS for recording. I get some weird lag with it even at half and 30FPS. Frame-rate jumps around everywhere from 10-80 for about a minute after starting it but after that it smooths out. I finished gluing the clips together. What do you think? (No transitions, I havnt figured those out yet.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDz6sBDEtE
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Need a good combanation for both game recording and video editing