Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [YT] EA Sports UFC - Bruce Lee Trailer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[YT] EA Sports UFC - Bruce Lee Trailer - Page 7

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakravant View Post

When one is 5' 11", 138 lbs (1.8m, 62.7 kgs), learning how to defend against only one's weight class is... not always ideal. Or even relevant.

lol I was 67kg, and 180cm tall...so yeah. Now weighing in at 80kg. Same height logically lol
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakravant View Post

Actually, there is a much more significant reason to doubt that higher weight classes would have been an issue. Bruce Lee regularly sparred with Bolo Yeung, Chuck Norris, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Height and weight variations meant nothing to him.

Really, most self defense arts are taught this way. You don't know what the height, weight, or number of attackers might be in the real world. Why would you train to fight only people within 20 pounds of you?


Makes no difference. There's a reason weight classes exist in competitive martial arts. To ensure a fair and balanced bout. In competitive martial arts today he would never go up against anyone heavier than him.

Just because you train with people bigger or heavier, which most martial artists do on a regular basis, that doesn't mean you can suddenly take on the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlabrie 

+1...I regularly trained Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu with guys way bigger and heavier (and stronger) than me. Fun stuff


You're in the Bujinkan, you're opinion is automatically discarded (I used to train in Bujinkan Ninjutsu too, so don't get angry at me). :D


Edited by Lifeshield - 4/12/14 at 4:32am
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post


Makes no difference. There's a reason weight classes exist in competitive martial arts. To ensure a fair and balanced bout. In competitive martial arts today he would never go up against anyone heavier than him.


Just because you train with people bigger or heavier, which most martial artists do on a regular basis, that doesn't mean you can suddenly take on the world.


You're in the Bujinkan, you're opinion is automatically discarded (I used to train in Bujinkan Ninjutsu too, so don't get angry at me). biggrin.gif

lol, I train a lot of different stuff...never got my 1st dan, was broke at the time and went freelance so to speak.
Did some boxing, JKD stuff, Wing Tsun, Kickboxing...never got any BJJ or Aikido lessons though, but Bujinkan taught me a few wrestling tricks.
I'll start training more frequently now, we've got a few people interested in training mma stuff locally, so it's pretty cool. (mma as in mixed martial arts not necessarily UFC related training wink.gif)
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post

Makes no difference. There's a reason weight classes exist in competitive martial arts. To ensure a fair and balanced bout. In competitive martial arts today he would never go up against anyone heavier than him.
Bruce Lee never cared about a fair fight. He practiced eye gouges, fish hooks, and sand throwing. He did and would go up against people heavier than him. He usually walked around at under 140 lbs. He would be a featherweight in MMA at best. Most of the people he trained with were middleweights and LHW by weight. It was rare for Bruce Lee to ever be fighting someone in his weight class.
Quote:
Just because you train with people bigger or heavier, which most martial artists do on a regular basis, that doesn't mean you can suddenly take on the world.
Sure. But it does mean you can go into an Octagon against somebody heavier than you and hold your own. One of my sparring partners trains with UFC fighters (including a former title holder) north of Seattle. I frequently fought and beat him when he outweighed me by 50 pounds (and it wasn't fat). I use the past tense because we're now closer to 20 pounds apart.
Old and busted
(11 items)
 
New Hotness
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 870A Fuzion (MS-7660) MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC Mushkin  
RAMCoolingOSMonitor
Mushkin  Zalman CNPS10X Performa Windows 8 64 bit Dell 2208 WFP 1680*1050 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 SSD POS Lightscribe DVD burner Zalman CNPS10x Performa, dual fans. Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 248qe Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
Mouse
Generic USB mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Old and busted
(11 items)
 
New Hotness
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 870A Fuzion (MS-7660) MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC Mushkin  
RAMCoolingOSMonitor
Mushkin  Zalman CNPS10X Performa Windows 8 64 bit Dell 2208 WFP 1680*1050 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 SSD POS Lightscribe DVD burner Zalman CNPS10x Performa, dual fans. Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 248qe Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
Mouse
Generic USB mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 79
If you honestly think weight makes no difference in a fight you are wrong, plain and simple. Bruce Lee is awesome, but let's try to be realistic here...
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post

If you honestly think weight makes no difference in a fight you are wrong, plain and simple. Bruce Lee is awesome, but let's try to be realistic here...
If weight makes a difference in a fight, then most skinny martial artists and female martial artists are doing it wrong. Most people taking a martial art aren't doing it to fight people their same weight. Most people take martial arts for self defense, not cagefighting.
Let's be realistic here. According to legend, Wing Chun was designed by two women, one a Shaolin, to help women defeat heavier men. So this concept you say is wrong, plain and simple originates from the Shaolin. Which means it likely came from India, putting it at the heart of all formal trained martial arts (sorry ARMA fans, but the evidence that western combat arts originate from the orient is rather extensive) excluding a handful of esoteric arts like Hikuta (even then, Sumerian trade eastward provides a compelling origin story for this Egyptian martial art).
You know who studied Wing Chun, under the very man who first recorded that story about its origin? A guy named Bruce Lee.
Old and busted
(11 items)
 
New Hotness
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 870A Fuzion (MS-7660) MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC Mushkin  
RAMCoolingOSMonitor
Mushkin  Zalman CNPS10X Performa Windows 8 64 bit Dell 2208 WFP 1680*1050 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 SSD POS Lightscribe DVD burner Zalman CNPS10x Performa, dual fans. Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 248qe Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
Mouse
Generic USB mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Old and busted
(11 items)
 
New Hotness
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 870A Fuzion (MS-7660) MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC Mushkin  
RAMCoolingOSMonitor
Mushkin  Zalman CNPS10X Performa Windows 8 64 bit Dell 2208 WFP 1680*1050 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 SSD POS Lightscribe DVD burner Zalman CNPS10x Performa, dual fans. Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 248qe Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
Mouse
Generic USB mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 79
If you think weight makes no difference in a fight then I would say you have never really competed seriously. You simply cannot argue against physics. Weight absolutely makes a difference. Any martial artist, competitive or not, worth his salt will be mindful and respectful of this fact regardless of his or her personal ability. Put two people of equal technical skill, and fitness, against each other with one being substantially heavier, and the heavier guy will have a massive advantage. That's just a fact that cannot be argued. As stated before, there's a reason why there are weight classes in MMA. Of course, feel free to tell the entire professional mixed martial arts community they're "doing it wrong".
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post

If you think weight makes no difference in a fight then I would say you have never really competed seriously. You simply cannot argue against physics. Weight absolutely makes a difference. Any martial artist, competitive or not, worth his salt will be mindful and respectful of this fact regardless of his or her personal ability. Put two people of equal technical skill, and fitness, against each other with one being substantially heavier, and the heavier guy will have a massive advantage. That's just a fact that cannot be argued. As stated before, there's a reason why there are weight classes in MMA. Of course, feel free to tell the entire professional mixed martial arts community they're "doing it wrong".
When you bring physics into it, you are even more wrong. f=mv*v. As you see, velocity is much more important than mass. The mass number is also tricky. Most MMA fighters use their upper body for combat. Most martial artists rely on whole body movement, meaning that they are effectively using more mass. These two things are the secrets to Bruce Lee's power. There are methods that teach how to strike using the mass of the earth, something impossible to do when one is only striking with the shoulders, as is pretty common in MMA.
I don't have to tell the entire mixed martial arts community they're wrong. If they hold your position, I have thousands of years of history and millions of "black belts" over that time disagreeing with them.
The heavier guy is almost always slower, and there is a breakpoint where speed exceeds mass. That breakpoint is well below MMA weight class levels.
Old and busted
(11 items)
 
New Hotness
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 870A Fuzion (MS-7660) MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC Mushkin  
RAMCoolingOSMonitor
Mushkin  Zalman CNPS10X Performa Windows 8 64 bit Dell 2208 WFP 1680*1050 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 SSD POS Lightscribe DVD burner Zalman CNPS10x Performa, dual fans. Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 248qe Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
Mouse
Generic USB mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Old and busted
(11 items)
 
New Hotness
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 870A Fuzion (MS-7660) MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC Mushkin  
RAMCoolingOSMonitor
Mushkin  Zalman CNPS10X Performa Windows 8 64 bit Dell 2208 WFP 1680*1050 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 SSD POS Lightscribe DVD burner Zalman CNPS10x Performa, dual fans. Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 248qe Microsoft RT2300 Silverstone ST60EF 600W Antec 900 
Mouse
Generic USB mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakravant View Post

When you bring physics into it, you are even more wrong. f=mv*v. As you see, velocity is much more important than mass. The mass number is also tricky. Most MMA fighters use their upper body for combat. Most martial artists rely on whole body movement, meaning that they are effectively using more mass. These two things are the secrets to Bruce Lee's power. There are methods that teach how to strike using the mass of the earth, something impossible to do when one is only striking with the shoulders, as is pretty common in MMA.
I don't have to tell the entire mixed martial arts community they're wrong. If they hold your position, I have thousands of years of history and millions of "black belts" over that time disagreeing with them.
The heavier guy is almost always slower, and there is a breakpoint where speed exceeds mass. That breakpoint is well below MMA weight class levels.

Actually if you do a proper boxing strike your power will originate from the feet and hips and go up through your whole body and into your fist...and even Bruce Lee would approve of it, see his jkd books for more info.

Heavier guys will beat the snot out of lighter guys wrestling most of the time, and will have more K.O. power...the first MMA tournaments had basically no rules and you did see huge guys fighting smaller ones, that was pretty insane back in the early 90s. Do check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ny-jE1SD0
post #70 of 79
We don't need thousands of years or millions of black belts, to disagree with us. We have all the evidence we need in the ring. Where competitive martial arts are tried and tested over many many years under numerous formats. Physics isn't just a factor in striking, you're missing much more of the game. You have clinch, groundwork, throws. No matter how good your technique is, against someone of equal skill you would find all of those much more tiring, and harder, against a stronger or heavier opponent. I have plenty of experience in full contact competitive martial arts across a few styles (Judo, Amatuer, Full Contact Kickboxing, Professional, Muay Thai, Professional) and have had the pleasure of sparring with several top level high profile fighters in my time (including Dan Hardy and Christian Di Paolo). Technique and speed will only get you so far against a bigger opponent of equal skill to you. They will wear you down.

Bruce Lee can be admired for his dedication and his skill, but realistically there's many people out there today who are just as dedicated to improving themselves to be the best they can be. You have Thais who train since the age they can walk and who would destroy Bruce Lee with low kicking and clinchwork. You have grappling masters that would outwork him on the mat. At the same weight, Bruce Lee would struggle against a lot of today's top fighters in the ring, even more so against the heavier ones. Martial Arts has evolved a lot since his day, the crap is highlighted for what it is, crap (and there's a lot from back then that wouldn't hold up today at all). The stuff that's truly effective you generally see used in the ring today and it isn't JKD, or Wing Chun.

Look up DART, go have a try at that, and see how useful what Martial Art you learn actually is in a real scenario.
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [YT] EA Sports UFC - Bruce Lee Trailer