Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Some questions about mint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some questions about mint - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post

If you say so. But, I think your assumption that I 'don't use it' doesn't make sense. smile.gif

P.S. you can use the dd command to copy the images to the usb flash drive and boot the iso with that. You have to do it exactly (correct) or it won't work properly. smile.gif

Whether you use it or not, I think its good. I understand you guys are looking out since I'm a new user. I'll probably update soon(getting a new rig).
Thanks!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6300 Gigabyte GA 78 LMT USB3 Asus RX550 2GB 4X1GB Corsair Value RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB LG Mdisk Deepcool Gamaxx S40 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64-Bit AOC 18.5-inch Genius cheapo Corsair VS 550 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool PC-K59 Lenovo cheapo Homemade with non reflective card-board F&D V520 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6300 Gigabyte GA 78 LMT USB3 Asus RX550 2GB 4X1GB Corsair Value RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB LG Mdisk Deepcool Gamaxx S40 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64-Bit AOC 18.5-inch Genius cheapo Corsair VS 550 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool PC-K59 Lenovo cheapo Homemade with non reflective card-board F&D V520 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post

QC is poor. There's lots of bugs especially with the Update Packs. There's also bugs with Cinnamon which is their main DE. I think it's easier to use Ubuntu or Debian.

Lol, arguing that Ubuntu is better than Mint is like arguing which coloured car drives the fastest. The differences are only skin deep.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Lol, arguing that Ubuntu is better than Mint is like arguing which coloured car drives the fastest. The differences are only skin deep.

Red is totally the fastest. Ask the cops. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 18
I just gave my opinion, that's all. I suggested Ubuntu might be easier because there are probably more discussions on it. If you google any random issue or problem, chances are it's ubuntu-related, like it or not. As for my personal preference, I have more experience with Debian-based distros so I've used Ubuntu, Mint (both varieties) and vanilla Debian. Mint uses the Ubuntu base but I've used LMDE more which is semi-rolling relase. My experiences with Mint were mixed until recently. They have problematic update packs and I have old hardware and recently had issues so I plan on not using it any more.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus P5Q EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Kingston HyperX 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerMouse Pad
Windows 7/Linux Corsair HX520W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus P5Q EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Kingston HyperX 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerMouse Pad
Windows 7/Linux Corsair HX520W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post

I just gave my opinion, that's all. I suggested Ubuntu might be easier because there are probably more discussions on it. If you google any random issue or problem, chances are it's ubuntu-related, like it or not.
Mint is Ubuntu just reskinned. It's like comparing Kubuntu or Xubuntu to vanilla Ubuntu. Any guides for Ubuntu will equally work for Mint.

Like I said, it's like arguing that the colour of your car affects the mechanics of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Red is totally the fastest. Ask the cops. biggrin.gif

laugher.gif
Edited by Plan9 - 4/21/14 at 6:37am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Mint is Ubuntu just reskinned. It's like comparing Kubuntu or Xubuntu to vanilla Ubuntu. Any guides for Ubuntu will equally work for Mint.

Like I said, it's like arguing that the colour of your car affects the mechanics of the vehicle.
laugher.gif

is LMDE just ubuntu re-skinned



Mint isnt just reskinned thats doing the mint community a big disservice. If you took Ubuntu and put Cinnamon ontop you wouldn’t automatically have a Mint install, nowhere near. Yes they share mostly the same repos but there is a heap of changes in user land that separate the two.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

is LMDE just ubuntu re-skinned
No. But that's why it's called "Debian Edition" and not just "Mint" wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

Mint isnt just reskinned thats doing the mint community a big disservice. If you took Ubuntu and put Cinnamon ontop you wouldn’t automatically have a Mint install, nowhere near. Yes they share mostly the same repos but there is a heap of changes in user land that separate the two.
You need to try another distro that isn't another Debian / Ubuntu respin then comment about how different Mint is to Ubuntu. I'd recommend OpenSuse, Slackware, Gentoo and Arch. thumb.gif

edit: and since the original point was about how Mint is less stable / buggier than Ubuntu, the fact they share repos is very relevant because it means they have the same package versions / patches installed.
Edited by Plan9 - 4/21/14 at 7:09am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

Mint isnt just reskinned thats doing the mint community a big disservice. If you took Ubuntu and put Cinnamon ontop you wouldn’t automatically have a Mint install, nowhere near. Yes they share mostly the same repos but there is a heap of changes in user land that separate the two.

We seem to have very different opinions on what a "heap" of changes is.

Mint really is NOT that much different than Ubuntu. Any Ubuntu guide will work on Mint ( not LMDE ) for a reason. Mint IS Ubuntu and shares most of Ubuntu's repositories. And outside of their default desktop environment there is little differences. Mint doesn't share the same attitude towards providing proprietary software ( drivers, codecs, etc ) as Ubuntu does on their ISO's or during Installs, but that doesn't make it different. The differences really end just about there.

Now... saying Ubuntu is just Debian would be wrong. While it's based on Debian ( unstable ), Canonical do pretty radical patching and their own changes. Debian and Ubuntu are not exactly interchangable in anything other that they share a deb package manager.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Some questions about mint