Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [PCGH] Maxwell GTX 880 specifications leaked
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCGH] Maxwell GTX 880 specifications leaked - Page 30  

post #291 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

There is no way GPU's cost that much to make. I'd be willing to bet the highest end single cards could go for $400 - $500 and they'd still bring in a really great profit.

They charge what they think they can get away with, not what the item is worth. I mean, how much is maxing out a game at a good res really worth? Thousands of dollars when you can get a console for fractions of the price? Hell no.

Doesn't bother me, I was sitting this gen of cards out anyway.
Well just stick to ur own budget. there is no reason to keep following the tech if it get more expensive.

If GTX860 is somehow becoming $400-500, I will not buy it. It is very unlikely I will buy a GPU over $250.
Gaming Rig
(10 items)
 
Work/Web Rig
(11 items)
 
Web Rig
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @4GHz stock volt OC Asus P8Z77-V LK Palit GTX 750Ti StormX Dual Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorCase
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz Silverstone Ps06 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9650 Gigabyte EP41-UD3L Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050 Acbel iPower 510w (450w PSU) LianLi PS05 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD E350 MSI E350IA-E45 AMD Radeon 6310 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital 80GB Linux Slackware 14.1 Samsung 22" 1680x1050 LCD Acbel 300w PSU 
  hide details  
Gaming Rig
(10 items)
 
Work/Web Rig
(11 items)
 
Web Rig
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @4GHz stock volt OC Asus P8Z77-V LK Palit GTX 750Ti StormX Dual Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorCase
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz Silverstone Ps06 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9650 Gigabyte EP41-UD3L Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050 Acbel iPower 510w (450w PSU) LianLi PS05 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD E350 MSI E350IA-E45 AMD Radeon 6310 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital 80GB Linux Slackware 14.1 Samsung 22" 1680x1050 LCD Acbel 300w PSU 
  hide details  
post #292 of 481
I'll put $30 away a month for a gtx780 probably. The 880 or 860 whatever will come out and likely drop the price of the gtx780 by $100... Hopefully...
post #293 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Exactly. 880ti, 8-series titan, 8-series titan black...
Milking, milking is my way biggrin.gif

Don't forget the GTX 880 Ultra, and the MX 880 that's actually based on G92b..
Corona
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Z170-A Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GEiL EVO Potenza 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung 850 EVO WD Caviar Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Caviar Blue (apple) Antec Kühler 620 Windows 10 Pro 64bit MacOS 10.12.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
YAMAKASI Catleap Q270 2560x1440 Apple wired OCZ 850w Modular NZXT H630 White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Performance MX Zalman Z-Machine ARGON 7460A 
  hide details  
Corona
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Z170-A Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GEiL EVO Potenza 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung 850 EVO WD Caviar Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Caviar Blue (apple) Antec Kühler 620 Windows 10 Pro 64bit MacOS 10.12.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
YAMAKASI Catleap Q270 2560x1440 Apple wired OCZ 850w Modular NZXT H630 White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Performance MX Zalman Z-Machine ARGON 7460A 
  hide details  
post #294 of 481
Again, if you think NVIDIA (significantly) overprices their non-Titan chips, you must answer the following question, otherwise your argument hangs on nothing.

Why did AMD make smaller chips this time around when they had the chance, and almost certainly the time, to make a bigger chip than the GK110 and they still had to keep the price elevated compared to their own previous models?

Because otherwise, the only alternative is that NVIDIA+AMD are a cartel but it would be unlikely the deception to be happening in that scale. In that case your argument doesn't stand either since you're supposed to be proving NVIDIA are teh evil and AMD teh saints.

Again, nobody are saints, there might be various marketing tricks, and obviously there are. I won't even touch the argument of "silicon cost". It's childish. Of course we are talking about R&D and everything of the manufacturer, not just the cost of it, we are talking about what TSMC is charging them. And all signs indicate very blatantly that it's quite expensive to be early on TSMC's latest node.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
post #295 of 481
Not to mention AMD is going to recycle Hawaii 3 times total. So that completely offsets those trolling NV about rehashing content.

Moral of the story NV is evil AMD is good guy looking out for you! Those $900 290x units never happened because AMD couldn't keep up with demand due to low yield.

Its all the same. Like some one else said. We are paying in blood for the dye shrinks.
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
post #296 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post

Why did AMD make smaller chips this time around when they had the chance, and almost certainly the time, to make a bigger chip than the GK110 and they still had to keep the price elevated compared to their own previous models?

Because if they had they would likely have caught fire given their cooling system.
post #297 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupples View Post

Not to mention AMD is going to recycle Hawaii 3 times total. So that completely offsets those trolling NV about rehashing content.

Moral of the story NV is evil AMD is good guy looking out for you! Those $900 290x units never happened because AMD couldn't keep up with demand due to low yield.

I don't understand how AMD can be blamed for retailer markup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

Because if they had they would likely have caught fire given their cooling system.

Hawaii runs hot because the die is very dense. 14.1M transistors per mm^2 vs 12.6M transistors per mm^2 on GK110, or 11.78M transistors per mm^2 on Tahiti. Everything is tightly packed so the heat is more concentrated and difficult to dissipate. (This is the same reason why Ivy Bridge was known for running hotter than SB -- pretty much the same chip, but in a 160mm^2 die rather than ~240mm^2 or whatever SB was.) If the exact same Hawaii chip was made to be, say, 500mm^2, it would run a lot cooler, but it would also cost AMD more money due to the larger die and might not yield as well (though I'm not sure if Hawaii's density might affect its yields either). If AMD made a ~520mm^2 chip with 48 CUs (vs 44 CUs on the 290X) it would probably run a bit cooler than Hawaii and would have probably had the edge over the 780 Ti. Why didn't they do that? Only AMD knows. I do believe that their engineers feel restricted by die size and are uncomfortable going any higher than they already have, but who knows.
Edited by Usario - 4/14/14 at 7:23am
Kalki
(25 items)
 
Alienware
(18 items)
 
ASUS A53Z
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.73GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Radeon HD 7950 @ 1200/1800 8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3 @ 2000MHz 11-11-11-28-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M4 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST 7200 RPM who cares 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor HD 7970 XSPC EX240 Swiftech MCP50X 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Black Ice GT Stealth 240 2x XSPC Xinruilian 1650rpm 2x Yate Loon Slim 1800rpm Alphacool Light Tower 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Gentoo GNU/Linux Dell UltraSharp U2412M CM Storm Trigger MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX750 Corsair Carbide 300R Logitech G400 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD OPTERON BULLDOZER 16-CORE 2GHZ (32GHZ TOTAL) ALIENWARE 3+1 PHASE ITX GAMING BOARD 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430 32GB GAMING DDR3 800MHZ CL13 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB 5400RPM GAMING HDD GAMING BLU RAY BURNER ONE GAMING CASE FAN UBUNTU W/ UNITY (I AM 1337 H4X0R) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HD-READY 24" 1366X768 PENTILE TN PANEL GAMING M... ALIENWARE TACTX UBER 1337 BACKLIT RUBBER MEMBRA... OFF-BRAND 200W GAMING PSU; 65% EFFICIENCY  ALIENWARE GAMING CASE WITH THE COOL GLOWING ALIEN 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
ALIENWARE TACTX GAMING MOUSE ALIENWARE MOUSEPAD IT'S DESIGNED FOR GAMING AND... BEATS AUDIO 1337 ALIENWARE TACTX 8-CHANNEL GAMING HEADSET/M... 
OtherOther
16 CORES!!!! 4GB VRAM!!!! FASTER THAN 3960X + 7... ALIENWARE GAMING CARPET 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-3420M OC 2.2GHz / 3GHz Turbo 1.10625v ASUS A53Z AMD Radeon HD 6520G 6GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Scorpio Black yes. really good Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora GNU/Linux 1366x768 LED-backlit TN panel Decent + numpad ~5hr 6-cell li-ion 
Audio
Altec Lansing 
  hide details  
Kalki
(25 items)
 
Alienware
(18 items)
 
ASUS A53Z
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.73GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Radeon HD 7950 @ 1200/1800 8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3 @ 2000MHz 11-11-11-28-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M4 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST 7200 RPM who cares 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor HD 7970 XSPC EX240 Swiftech MCP50X 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Black Ice GT Stealth 240 2x XSPC Xinruilian 1650rpm 2x Yate Loon Slim 1800rpm Alphacool Light Tower 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Gentoo GNU/Linux Dell UltraSharp U2412M CM Storm Trigger MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX750 Corsair Carbide 300R Logitech G400 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD OPTERON BULLDOZER 16-CORE 2GHZ (32GHZ TOTAL) ALIENWARE 3+1 PHASE ITX GAMING BOARD 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430 32GB GAMING DDR3 800MHZ CL13 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB 5400RPM GAMING HDD GAMING BLU RAY BURNER ONE GAMING CASE FAN UBUNTU W/ UNITY (I AM 1337 H4X0R) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HD-READY 24" 1366X768 PENTILE TN PANEL GAMING M... ALIENWARE TACTX UBER 1337 BACKLIT RUBBER MEMBRA... OFF-BRAND 200W GAMING PSU; 65% EFFICIENCY  ALIENWARE GAMING CASE WITH THE COOL GLOWING ALIEN 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
ALIENWARE TACTX GAMING MOUSE ALIENWARE MOUSEPAD IT'S DESIGNED FOR GAMING AND... BEATS AUDIO 1337 ALIENWARE TACTX 8-CHANNEL GAMING HEADSET/M... 
OtherOther
16 CORES!!!! 4GB VRAM!!!! FASTER THAN 3960X + 7... ALIENWARE GAMING CARPET 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-3420M OC 2.2GHz / 3GHz Turbo 1.10625v ASUS A53Z AMD Radeon HD 6520G 6GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Scorpio Black yes. really good Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora GNU/Linux 1366x768 LED-backlit TN panel Decent + numpad ~5hr 6-cell li-ion 
Audio
Altec Lansing 
  hide details  
post #298 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

Hawaii runs hot because the die is very dense.

What makes you think that density would have decreased had they tried to make a 500 mm2 die?
post #299 of 481
Can't keep up with demand = prices go through the roof. Is that really hard for you to understand?

Who's fault is it between AMD and TSMC? No one knows so blame both. biggrin.gif
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
post #300 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

I would love to replace my GTX 680, but If I assume this leak to be true, then I do not see my self paying the 650$/€(?) for this "midrange" card even if the performance is well above the 780 Ti.
Well of course if it is like 60-70% better than the 780 Ti I might give in, but I don't see that remotely happening.
^This. Would love to replace my boring 680 with something funky, two cards so the case does not look that empty.
But why would I replace a boring card with two boring cards?
smile.gif
/* Redemption*/
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3930K Asus Sabertooth Asus GTX 680 8x4GB G.Skill@1337MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2xM4 64GB/ / F3 - 1TB / 2x2TB Baracudas some LG Modified EK 360 HFX 2x(Win7 x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SyncMaster P2770HD and SyncMaster 940NW Roccat Isku Corsair Gold AX750 NZXT 810 Switch 
MouseMouse Pad
Rocat Kone[+] Razer exactmat X 
  hide details  
/* Redemption*/
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3930K Asus Sabertooth Asus GTX 680 8x4GB G.Skill@1337MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2xM4 64GB/ / F3 - 1TB / 2x2TB Baracudas some LG Modified EK 360 HFX 2x(Win7 x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SyncMaster P2770HD and SyncMaster 940NW Roccat Isku Corsair Gold AX750 NZXT 810 Switch 
MouseMouse Pad
Rocat Kone[+] Razer exactmat X 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [PCGH] Maxwell GTX 880 specifications leaked