Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Steelseries 6g v2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steelseries 6g v2

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I have this keyboard, and like it (gold capped cherry black switches). But I find the keys a little to easy to press (maybe the keys are too close to eachother), so I'm wondering if anyone has tried something better.
post #2 of 13
If you want heavier switches then you're pretty much going to have to go for a board with clicky tactile switches as MX Greens and MX Whites are the only MX switches heavier than MX Blacks.

MX White switches are pretty rare, so finding a board with them can be difficult, there was a Ducky Shine 3 Yellow Edition with MX White switches, however it's hard to find them.

As for suggestions of an MX Green board, you have a few more options:

  • WASD V2
  • WASD V2 CODE
  • CM QuickFire XT
  • Ducky Shine 3
  • Ducky Tuhaojin


In addition to those, there are a few other options that are harder to find such as the CM Storm Trigger, CM QuickFire Rapid/ Stealth.

Other than that you could consider doing a switch swap and getting some legitimately heavy switches like MX Linear Greys, or if you wanted even heavier than that, you could try and get some 120g springs from a groupbuy which you could put in the switches to make them twice as heavy as what you have at the moment.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
So, it all comes down to the weight of the switch? Ideally I do want the fastest response, but a lot of the time, i am pressing keys I don't intend to press (ie I touched them)

EDIT:

Just out of interest, has anyone found the steelseries 6gv2 to not be as good over PS/2? It feels like it causes jitter using the PS/2 adapter.
Edited by badassgeek - 4/11/14 at 4:05am
post #4 of 13
Have you had the keyboard long? I've had one a few months and still can't decide if I like it. I know what you mean about being "easy" to type, it is good for gaming though I find.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

Have you had the keyboard long? I've had one a few months and still can't decide if I like it. I know what you mean about being "easy" to type, it is good for gaming though I find.

I've had it about 6 months now, and it is a good keyboard, I no longer have that feeling of getting stuck movements in game, that is the only real difference I noticed, my first impression is that I was able to pull off fine movements that I couldn't before, but I no longer notice it. The issue is more like, I will touch a key by mistake and end up activating something I wouldn't want to in FPS games - like, I'll open the team chat dialog in the middle of a firefight. I can, and have remapped that, but I have many keys setup for custom actions, etc, so it's hard to map those buttons then to something that is easy to get to but not press by accident. It's not a huge thing, I'm just wondering if there are other options really, and wondering if it could be improved in any way.
Edited by badassgeek - 4/11/14 at 4:15am
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

Other than that you could consider doing a switch swap and getting some legitimately heavy switches like MX Linear Greys, or if you wanted even heavier than that, you could try and get some 120g springs from a groupbuy which you could put in the switches to make them twice as heavy as what you have at the moment.

I think that could work actually, if it would be less expensive than getting a new keyboard
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by badassgeek View Post

So, it all comes down to the weight of the switch? Ideally I do want the fastest response, but a lot of the time, i am pressing keys I don't intend to press (ie I touched them)

EDIT:

Just out of interest, has anyone found the steelseries 6gv2 to not be as good over PS/2? It feels like it causes jitter using the PS/2 adapter.

Yeah, the weight of each switch determines how tiring or easy to use the board will be over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassgeek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

Other than that you could consider doing a switch swap and getting some legitimately heavy switches like MX Linear Greys, or if you wanted even heavier than that, you could try and get some 120g springs from a groupbuy which you could put in the switches to make them twice as heavy as what you have at the moment.

I think that could work actually, if it would be less expensive than getting a new keyboard

It could be less expensive depending on whether or not you already own a soldering iron and the rest of the tools you'll need to remove the switches, but it would also be very time consuming to remove each switch and replace it, even more so if you want to open up every switch and replace the spring.
post #8 of 13
I have the 6gv 2 but I am giving it to a friend and getting a 7g for myself. I want the dedicated serial so it doesn't have as much risk to bend. I find the serial option is much butter than USB.

MX Blacks are pretty heavy switches, I'm impressed that you accidentally hit them, the tactile switches might give you more resistance.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5960X EVGA X99 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsiar Vengeance LPX Samsung 840 Pro Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
PG348Q PB278Q Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs Mercury S8 Mionix NAOS 8200 Geared GS Flat Black TITAN Audioengine A5+ 
AudioAudio
Audioengine S8 Audioengine D1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5960X EVGA X99 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsiar Vengeance LPX Samsung 840 Pro Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
PG348Q PB278Q Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs Mercury S8 Mionix NAOS 8200 Geared GS Flat Black TITAN Audioengine A5+ 
AudioAudio
Audioengine S8 Audioengine D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBatman1337 View Post

I have the 6gv 2 but I am giving it to a friend and getting a 7g for myself. I want the dedicated serial so it doesn't have as much risk to bend. I find the serial option is much butter than USB.

MX Blacks are pretty heavy switches, I'm impressed that you accidentally hit them, the tactile switches might give you more resistance.

Do you mean the dedicated PS/2 cable? I shyed away from that model as it has a braided type cable (I don't trust these cables, and could find no feedback on wether these would wear or not) , and the USB 1.1 seemed a pointless feature for me, partly because I didn't care for extra features other than 'keyboard'. I would love to have the wrist rest though :-)

I guess I have a medium-large hand, maybe that''s why, and I thought blacks would be about right. I think ideally, I would want something that doesn't repeat when I don't want it to, and that I can't just hit some key by mistake. Other than responding quickly, I don't much care for flashy features like I said.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by badassgeek View Post

Do you mean the dedicated PS/2 cable? I shyed away from that model as it has a braided type cable (I don't trust these cables, and could find no feedback on wether these would wear or not) , and the USB 1.1 seemed a pointless feature for me, partly because I didn't care for extra features other than 'keyboard'. I would love to have the wrist rest though :-)

I guess I have a medium-large hand, maybe that''s why, and I thought blacks would be about right. I think ideally, I would want something that doesn't repeat when I don't want it to, and that I can't just hit some key by mistake. Other than responding quickly, I don't much care for flashy features like I said.

Yeah, if you want full rollover you have to go through PS/2.The braided cables are pretty beefy. unless you were dragging them over sharp edges all the time, I don't see why you would have an issue.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5960X EVGA X99 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsiar Vengeance LPX Samsung 840 Pro Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
PG348Q PB278Q Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs Mercury S8 Mionix NAOS 8200 Geared GS Flat Black TITAN Audioengine A5+ 
AudioAudio
Audioengine S8 Audioengine D1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5960X EVGA X99 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified EVGA GTX980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsiar Vengeance LPX Samsung 840 Pro Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
PG348Q PB278Q Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs Mercury S8 Mionix NAOS 8200 Geared GS Flat Black TITAN Audioengine A5+ 
AudioAudio
Audioengine S8 Audioengine D1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Steelseries 6g v2