Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › CPU fan not blowing out hot air
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CPU fan not blowing out hot air - Page 2

post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersakiller View Post

When u get the new heasink in u could put some of these to help .http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mosfet-heatsink

Thanks, but which of those would be small enough to fit inside my laptop? And would it actually help?
I mean, if it turns out that the heatsink I ordered didn't work, would using one of those be a solution?

Also right this moment I've got the bare laptop sitting on an icepack keeping the APU cool. Still no warm air is coming out of the fan's vent. I guess I will just have to wait until the replacement heatsink comes to see if the problem really is the heatsink. If not then I guess I'll have to let it go.
post #12 of 21
Have u tryed putting new Tim on?

use it with the stock heat sink.

I did it to a Acer aspire one to help cool it droped 10c.
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yes I've tried that at least 4 times now. The problem is the heatsink itself, I'm sure of it.
I can't really say much else until that replacement comes. I'm hoping it works as it's my last hope.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brootalperry View Post

Thanks, but which of those would be small enough to fit inside my laptop? And would it actually help?
I mean, if it turns out that the heatsink I ordered didn't work, would using one of those be a solution?

Also right this moment I've got the bare laptop sitting on an icepack keeping the APU cool. Still no warm air is coming out of the fan's vent. I guess I will just have to wait until the replacement heatsink comes to see if the problem really is the heatsink. If not then I guess I'll have to let it go.

I wouldnt use aluminum though, grab a couple copper ones and you can add them in there where there is a bit of space. Also just cut them down the size, all the ones I have purchased from Newegg always had thermal tape on them. Check out my M11x R2 mod in my gallery to see an example of how it can be implemented

Entirely curious since were at ends, the fan isnt upside down is it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 21
What where ur temps?
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

I wouldnt use aluminum though, grab a couple copper ones and you can add them in there where there is a bit of space. Also just cut them down the size, all the ones I have purchased from Newegg always had thermal tape on them. Check out my M11x R2 mod in my gallery to see an example of how it can be implemented

Entirely curious since were at ends, the fan isnt upside down is it?

Thanks for that. I guess I would put one on top of the APU and then put the heatsink down on it?
I've thought about the fan being upside down as well. To be honest I'm not really sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersakiller View Post

What where ur temps?

I don't know what the temps are because the BIOS doesn't have a temp monitor. And since the laptop overheats before Windows finishes booting up I can't get into the desktop.
post #17 of 21
U could always get water blocks for it smile.gif lol joke..
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brootalperry View Post

Thanks for that. I guess I would put one on top of the APU and then put the heatsink down on it?
I've thought about the fan being upside down as well. To be honest I'm not really sure.
I don't know what the temps are because the BIOS doesn't have a temp monitor. And since the laptop overheats before Windows finishes booting up I can't get into the desktop.

I doubt the APU is uncovered lol but it never hurt to add to the heatsink as long as you keep in mind 2 things

Air Flow
Heatsoak, too much copper can hurt your dissipation

Yeah check the fan, just curious tongue.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
I got the new heatsink today and put it on. It works like a charm. The fan is blowing the hot air out of the vent like it's supposed to. I have no idea what is wrong with the original.
But buying this replacement heatsink for nearly $30 was worth the gamble.

Thanks for the advice guys.
post #20 of 21
Glad your up and running again thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › CPU fan not blowing out hot air