Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Slowly loosing space on my SSD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Slowly loosing space on my SSD.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro 2516 GB for my OS. A 1Tb Seagate HDD for storage.

Other than my OS, I think the only thing downloaded to my SSD was google chrome and an Nvidia driver.

I've had it for about a month and it seems to be loosing space. I'm now down to 178Gb / 238Gb :/
post #2 of 10
Paging File and Hibernation File are probably eating up the space.


If a desktop PC, disable hibernation.
If more than 8GB RAM, set paging file to 1GB.

Download and run WinDirStat to see how the drive is being used.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
How do I do that?

ETA: I have 16Gb ram
post #4 of 10
do you have system restore enabled? when I first got my 2 ssd's a few months ago I followed seans ssd guide but I still came up loosing gigs every day, come to find out it was system restore, I deleted all the restore points and I got over 30gb back. I now leave system restore off and just backup my ssd's on a 500gb hdd as I have 2 ssd's and 1 WD 1tb VelociRaptor hdd for games and 1 Seagate 500 gb hdd for backup and 1 external 1tb hdd for backup.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Restore points have never been enabled
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan87 View Post

How do I do that?

ETA: I have 16Gb ram


Check my guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

 

Hibernation:

  1. Open the Start Menu, in the search line, type CMD
  2. Right click CMD icon that comes up and choose "Run as administrator"
  3. Type powercfg -h off and press enter to delete it

 

Page file:

  1. Open the Start Menu
  2. Right click Computer
  3. Click Properties
  4. Click Advanced System Settings (it's on the left side)
  5. Under performance click Settings
  6. Go to the Advanced tab
  7. Under Virtual memory click Change
  8. Uncheck the "Automatically manage paging file" box at the top
  9. Select the C: drive
  10. Set the min and max to 1024
  11. Click "Set"
  12. Choose Yes for the dialog box
  13. Click OK
  14. Click OK
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post


Check my guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Hibernation:
  1. Open the Start Menu, in the search line, type CMD
  2. Right click CMD icon that comes up and choose "Run as administrator"
  3. Type powercfg -h off and press enter to delete it

Page file:
  1. Open the Start Menu
  2. Right click Computer
  3. Click Properties
  4. Click Advanced System Settings (it's on the left side)
  5. Under performance click Settings
  6. Go to the Advanced tab
  7. Under Virtual memory click Change
  8. Uncheck the "Automatically manage paging file" box at the top
  9. Select the C: drive
  10. Set the min and max to 1024
  11. Click "Set"
  12. Choose Yes for the dialog box
  13. Click OK
  14. Click OK

Not to hijack the thread at all OP, but I was just browsing around and have been meaning to ask a question. This seems like a good place to do it.

Can too low of a pagefile setting cause games to crash? I was getting weird memory crashes from BF4 and Thief and looked at Afterburner and saw that my pagefile usage was way passed maxed out. I'm sure AB doesn't give accurate readings, but I set my pagefile to system allocate and it seemed to help some.

Now, this could have also been due to the memory leaks that were going on with the AMD beta drivers but I'm not sure.

Anyway, did you move all of your user folders over to the HDD (downloads, documents, etc)?
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
I located all the Program files and user files to my HDD, along with my download etc.


I did what Sean said and I now have 207 Gb free instead of 178Gb smile.gif

What does setting page file to 1Gb do exactly?
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoutu17 View Post

Not to hijack the thread at all OP, but I was just browsing around and have been meaning to ask a question. This seems like a good place to do it.

Can too low of a pagefile setting cause games to crash? I was getting weird memory crashes from BF4 and Thief and looked at Afterburner and saw that my pagefile usage was way passed maxed out. I'm sure AB doesn't give accurate readings, but I set my pagefile to system allocate and it seemed to help some.

Now, this could have also been due to the memory leaks that were going on with the AMD beta drivers but I'm not sure.

Anyway, did you move all of your user folders over to the HDD (downloads, documents, etc)?
I dont have page file for about 3 years now.I did everything with my PC,play games ,do some picture editing with photoshop,editing video with Windows movie maker,editing music with Sony forge,browsing etc and i never had one crash .If you think on that Afterburner from MSI ,that is deffinitly not perfect software.Software from hardware manufacturers tend to crash more often then software from small companies like Piriform(CCleaner).I really don't know why hardware manufacturers cant make normal software,but they cant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan87 View Post

I located all the Program files and user files to my HDD, along with my download etc.


I did what Sean said and I now have 207 Gb free instead of 178Gb smile.gif

What does setting page file to 1Gb do exactly?
You only need to disable restore point,hibernation file,indexing and page file.Of course if you have crashing after disabling page file you will enable it but only 1GB size.
BUT,if you reallocated everything to your HDD then why you use SSD in first place.Man fill your SSD to 75% and enjoy.HDD are only for storage and back up and that will to change very soon.
Edited by Unit Igor - 4/11/14 at 1:16am
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Igor View Post

I dont have page file for about 3 years now.I did everything with my PC,play games ,do some picture editing with photoshop,editing video with Windows movie maker,editing music with Sony forge,browsing etc and i never had one crash .If you think on that Afterburner from MSI ,that is deffinitly not perfect software.Software from hardware manufacturers tend to crash more often then software from small companies like Piriform(CCleaner).I really don't know why hardware manufacturers cant make normal software,but they cant!
You only need to disable restore point,hibernation file,indexing and page file.Of course if you have crashing after disabling page file you will enable it but only 1GB size.
BUT,if you reallocated everything to your HDD then why you use SSD in first place.Man fill your SSD to 75% and enjoy.HDD are only for storage and back up and that will to change very soon.

I'm using my SSD for boot only right now. The HDD is temporary until I replace it with a 1Tb SSD, then the HDD will be used to back up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Slowly loosing space on my SSD.