Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › So I guess my G5 is no good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So I guess my G5 is no good? - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

Got home from camping and found my mx1000 actually did start charging at some point so I brought it into work. It's way more comfortable than my g5 was. Why did I have this thing sitting in my closet for so long!

The Naos 7000 looks perfect for my hand, but for home use I'm thinking I will be missing out on the extra buttons on the g502. The g502 looks about as comfortable as the G5 (not comfortable at all)...It is very hard to decide.

G502 does not have the lip on the right side like the G5/G400/mx518 had. That lip always killed my pinky. So if it's just the lip that disturbs you and you like a heavy mouse the G502 could actually be good for you.

Otherwise I always love the NAOS shape, big mouse and all.
Fast enough
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k ASUS Z170 Pro Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung SSD 750 EVO Alpenföhn Groß Clock'ner 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ XL2411 Lioncast LK20 Sharkoon Rebel9 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G Pro Zowie G-SR Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-Express 
  hide details  
Reply
Fast enough
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k ASUS Z170 Pro Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung SSD 750 EVO Alpenföhn Groß Clock'ner 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ XL2411 Lioncast LK20 Sharkoon Rebel9 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G Pro Zowie G-SR Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-Express 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ino. View Post

G502 does not have the lip on the right side like the G5/G400/mx518 had. That lip always killed my pinky. So if it's just the lip that disturbs you and you like a heavy mouse the G502 could actually be good for you.

Otherwise I always love the NAOS shape, big mouse and all.

Interesting, maybe it is the lip that bothers me. My gf says her hand huts sometimes as well from the same thing.
post #13 of 17
If you are coming from a G5 you will absolutely love the G502.

I have two G5's, they were awesome mice but not great by todays standards. Damn things last forever though!
Behemoth
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4790K "Relidded" @ 5ghz <50c Asus Sabertooth Z97 MK1 Custom WC'd 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500 stock volts Custom WC'd 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500 stock volts 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
2X4GB Patriot Viper Extreme 1TB Velociraptor 10k RPM w/ 64MB Cache Two Arqtik TEC Chillers in Series Archimedes TEC block w/TN660 TEC 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Two Ported/tapped MCP655 Pumps 2x Black Ice GTX 480 Gen2 Rads DD dual drive bay Res with LCD water temp monit... GPU Loop: Modded Enzotech Sapphire CPU blocks, ... 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
36x Globe 120mm 80cfm server fans Win 10 Pro Mint 15(KDE) 4K 28" Samsung U590D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Mechanical CM Silent Power M 1000watt Main, OCZ Z850W Slave Custom Mountain Mods Extended-Extended Ascension Logitech G502 Proteus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Homemade 16ga 304 Stainless pad, Neoprene backed Aune T1 DAC Various Tubes: Mostly switching from 60's GE "S... AKG K7XX Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Behemoth
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4790K "Relidded" @ 5ghz <50c Asus Sabertooth Z97 MK1 Custom WC'd 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500 stock volts Custom WC'd 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500 stock volts 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
2X4GB Patriot Viper Extreme 1TB Velociraptor 10k RPM w/ 64MB Cache Two Arqtik TEC Chillers in Series Archimedes TEC block w/TN660 TEC 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Two Ported/tapped MCP655 Pumps 2x Black Ice GTX 480 Gen2 Rads DD dual drive bay Res with LCD water temp monit... GPU Loop: Modded Enzotech Sapphire CPU blocks, ... 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
36x Globe 120mm 80cfm server fans Win 10 Pro Mint 15(KDE) 4K 28" Samsung U590D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Mechanical CM Silent Power M 1000watt Main, OCZ Z850W Slave Custom Mountain Mods Extended-Extended Ascension Logitech G502 Proteus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Homemade 16ga 304 Stainless pad, Neoprene backed Aune T1 DAC Various Tubes: Mostly switching from 60's GE "S... AKG K7XX Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

Got home from camping and found my mx1000 actually did start charging at some point so I brought it into work. It's way more comfortable than my g5 was. Why did I have this thing sitting in my closet for so long!

The Naos 7000 looks perfect for my hand, but for home use I'm thinking I will be missing out on the extra buttons on the g502. The g502 looks about as comfortable as the G5 (not comfortable at all)...It is very hard to decide.

You're in the exact same boat as me. I'm still using a G5 right now (it's been pretty durable as I've been using it for about 5 years), but I am not a huge fan of the shape. I don't hate the shape, but I don't love it either.

My top choice a couple of weeks ago was the NAOS 7000, but then the G502 came out and I think it surprised a lot of people, and is a lot more impressive then most expected it to be. Last week I was basically trying to decide between the Avior 7000 and the NAOS 7000, but now I think it's between the Logitech G502 and the NAOS 7000. I'd prefer the G502 because of the slightly better sensor and 3 year warranty, just not sure if the shape will be a little more friendly that the G5 shape.

I think the G502 shape does look a little more comfortable than the G5/G400 shape. I wouldn't mind some more feedback from people that have used both.
Edited by Ice009 - 4/14/14 at 7:03pm
Ice009
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3930K RAMPAGE IV FORMULA EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Ares 16GB 1600Mhz F3-1600C9Q-16GAO Crucial M4 128GB Samsung HD103SJ 1TB LiteOn iHAS220 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG BluRay HD-DVD combo GGC-H20L Windows 7 Dell U2410 Filco Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revo 85+ 1250W CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech G502 PureTrak Talent 
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profession... 
  hide details  
Reply
Ice009
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3930K RAMPAGE IV FORMULA EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Ares 16GB 1600Mhz F3-1600C9Q-16GAO Crucial M4 128GB Samsung HD103SJ 1TB LiteOn iHAS220 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG BluRay HD-DVD combo GGC-H20L Windows 7 Dell U2410 Filco Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revo 85+ 1250W CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech G502 PureTrak Talent 
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profession... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice009 View Post

You're in the exact same boat as me. I'm still using a G5 right now (it's been pretty durable as I've been using it for about 5 years), but I am not a huge fan of the shape. I don't hate the shape, but I don't love it either.

My top choice a couple of weeks ago was the NAOS 7000, but then the G502 came out and I think it surprised a lot of people, and is a lot more impressive then most expected it to be. Last week I was basically trying to decide between the Avior 7000 and the NAOS 7000, but now I think it's between the Logitech G502 and the NAOS 7000. I'd prefer the G502 because of the slightly better sensor and 3 year warranty, just not sure if the shape will be a little more friendly that the G5 shape.

I think the G502 shape does look a little more comfortable than the G5/G400 shape. I wouldn't mind some more feedback from people that have used both.

I have both the G400s and the G502 and I can safely say that the G502 is way more comfortable for me. It feels way more sturdy too, and I just love how the RMB is longer than the LMB. Few mice have this, but I think it should be essential. The main issue I personally have with the G400s, is that the clicking area of the main mouse buttons is way too small, and kinda ends way before the mouse's nose/front edge, causing my middle finger to dig into the plastic thing at the front every time I click. On almost all other mice the clicking area extends all the way to the edge of the mouse, and this is the case with the G502 aswell. The right side of the G502 is also way better than on the G400s IMO, as it allows for a grip that's more similar to the IE 3.0, DA, Rival etc., where your pinky and ring finger kinda rest closely together on the right side. The G502 gives more than enough space for this, and my fingers don't feel cramped like I have experienced with the DA from time to time. But the other thing is, that if you wish to place your ringer on top of the "ledge" thing that is present on the G400s, and you prefer that kinda grip, you CAN do that on the G502, because it has a bit wider space next to the RMB, so you could if you wanted. I found the right side to be most similar to an improved version of the G500 right side

One other thing is that the side buttons are for some reason the only ones where I could comfortably press both of them independently without any stretching. On almost ALL other mice, I have has issues with hitting the forward side button, this includes the G400s. On the G502 I almost have issues hitting the backward side button, but that's only if I grip it really far forward. The "sniper button" does not really annoy me. If I grip the mouse far forward, I can touch it at the edge, but I won't activate it without purposely doing so. If I grip the mouse a bit further back, my thumb isn't even touching it at all, and I have to extend my thumb in order to click it.

The scroll wheel on the G502 is also way better IMO than on the G400s. The one on the G400s is unusable for anything else than gaming really, and feels extremely cheap, and is hard to press down. The one on the G502 is solid metal, has distinct notches, but can also free spin, is quite easy to press down and can also tilt click. I have never had a mouse with a tilt click wheel, so I can't really comment on that, but I can see it being useful in games like WoW for a bit less important key bindings. It seems useless and annoying for FPS though.

The DPI switching buttons are also way better on the G502. They feel nicer and way more tactile, they are better placed IMO.

I'm not sure if you care about this, but I think the weight system is better implemented, as you can not only change the weight, but also the center of gravity. I like to have my mice as light as possible, so I don't care about this anyway.

The sensor is also way, way better on the G502 than on the G5. The G502 sensor is like THE sensor for gaming. It has no prediction, no smoothing, no acceleration, max tracking speeds of 7+ m/s, all DPI steps from 200-1200 DPI perform equally good, and the LOD is as low as 1.2mm on almost any surface. I mean, that's lower than the Zowie ones, and that's without any lens mods.

This is obviously not important, but I think the G502 looks way better than the G5 and G400s also, so if you care about that, it's nice.


All in all, I'd take the G502 over the G400s any day. Not because of the sensor, but because of the shape. Every time I laid my hands upon my friend's G500 when I was at his house, it just felt right, but the G502 corrected the only problem I had with the G500, and that was slippery sides and the a bit annoying ledge on the right side.

If you were debating between the Naos 7000 and the G502, I'd say go for the G502. The G502 has a more "lift-the-mouse-friendly-grip", and the coating isn't as slippery. I can't really use the Naos because I tend to lift my mice quite a lot, and the spots for my ring and pinky are a bit too small, meaning I kinda "cover" them instead of having the fingers inside of them. It's hard to explain, but I'd say go for the G502.
post #16 of 17
Wow, thanks detailed description of the changes between the two shapes. I do think those slight changes you've mentioned in your post above that have been made to the G502 might just make it more comfortable for me. I think I am definitely done with the G5/G400 shape, don't think I want another mouse with it. I mean, even if they bought one out with an even better sensor than the G502, not really interested in this shape anymore. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone from Logitech is reading this wink.gif.

I think I will give the G502 a try first. The only issue I might have with it is shape, so I will see how that goes. If I really don't like the shape, or it's uncomfortable in any way, I can always sell it and get a NAOS 7000. I now just have to wait for it to be released here in Australia. I'm not seeing it listed on any of the sites for pre-order yet, so it might still be 1-2 weeks away. I'll start emailing some of the stores I shop at and ask them about release dates today.

So would all you guys agree now that the sensor is definitely a step up from the 3310, or do we need a larger sample size of user reviews to determine that it definitely doesn't have any acceleration?
Ice009
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3930K RAMPAGE IV FORMULA EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Ares 16GB 1600Mhz F3-1600C9Q-16GAO Crucial M4 128GB Samsung HD103SJ 1TB LiteOn iHAS220 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG BluRay HD-DVD combo GGC-H20L Windows 7 Dell U2410 Filco Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revo 85+ 1250W CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech G502 PureTrak Talent 
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profession... 
  hide details  
Reply
Ice009
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3930K RAMPAGE IV FORMULA EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Ares 16GB 1600Mhz F3-1600C9Q-16GAO Crucial M4 128GB Samsung HD103SJ 1TB LiteOn iHAS220 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG BluRay HD-DVD combo GGC-H20L Windows 7 Dell U2410 Filco Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revo 85+ 1250W CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech G502 PureTrak Talent 
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profession... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice009 View Post

Wow, thanks detailed description of the changes between the two shapes. I do think those slight changes you've mentioned in your post above that have been made to the G502 might just make it more comfortable for me. I think I am definitely done with the G5/G400 shape, don't think I want another mouse with it. I mean, even if they bought one out with an even better sensor than the G502, not really interested in this shape anymore. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone from Logitech is reading this wink.gif.

I think I will give the G502 a try first. The only issue I might have with it is shape, so I will see how that goes. If I really don't like the shape, or it's uncomfortable in any way, I can always sell it and get a NAOS 7000. I now just have to wait for it to be released here in Australia. I'm not seeing it listed on any of the sites for pre-order yet, so it might still be 1-2 weeks away. I'll start emailing some of the stores I shop at and ask them about release dates today.

So would all you guys agree now that the sensor is definitely a step up from the 3310, or do we need a larger sample size of user reviews to determine that it definitely doesn't have any acceleration?

Np, man. I'm a huge shape fanatic, and tend to look at every little detail tongue.gif. I do think that you will like the shape, but I you don't, then get the Naos or Avior 7000.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › So I guess my G5 is no good?