Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [DS] The Witcher 3 - 900p on PS4 & 720p on Xbox One, GTX780Ti Pushes 35-45fps At Max Settings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[DS] The Witcher 3 - 900p on PS4 & 720p on Xbox One, GTX780Ti Pushes 35-45fps At Max Settings - Page 14

post #131 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

Honestly I feel the exact opposite. It always ticks me off when a game comes with crappy AA settings. Some of you claim to not notice the difference between 4xMSAA and 8xMSAA. Good for you I guess. Personally I can easily tell the differences between 4xMSAA and 8xMSAA. Depending on the game its usually still not overly hard to pick out the differences between 8xMSAA and 16xMSAA.

Same goes for 2xSSAA vs 4xSSAA.

Does that mean I use extremely high AA levels? Yes and no. If I have enough GPU power to run a game at max settings and 16xMSAA damn strait I'm going to enable it as it does improve the IQ but its not like have have to have that amount of AA for the game to be enjoyable. I do usually want something in line with 4xMSAA and I'm willing to sacrifice some other settings like AO or DoF to get it.

I'm not a fan of pure shader based AA like FXAA. In order to get rid of the jaggies properly you need to run it at an pretty aggressive setting and that meant you end up blurring the textures as well.

Really as you say implementing AA should not be that much of an challenge for devs so by that reasoning the devs should spend that little time and put in lots of AA options so everyone can use the amount they want. I applaud any dev that puts in a good array of AA options and lest the end user select if they want to use SSAA, MSAA, TXAA ect. and most of all I very much like it when they separate out FXAA and allow you to run it along side render based AA. For example in Max Payne is ran something like 4xMSAA + high FXAA and that gave some pretty nice results.

Ugh in PlanetSide 2 I there's no other AA options, just the default enabled FXAA which I can't seem to remove in the options settings, It's horrible to look at with all the jagged edges at 1080p alongside the blurring.

AC4 has some nice implementations of AA, MSAA, CSAA and TXAA from what I remember, I like TXAA as it attempts to remove the jagged edges and crawling without consuming too much GPU power, as others have said I've also noticed blurring, but I find it is not nearly as bad as FXAA, but I suppose that depends on the level of FXAA that is implemented if it works like that.

GTA 4 on the otherhand rolleyes.gif the vanilla game has what seems to be no AA whatsoever, I really hope the PC port of GTA 5 is alot better, Max Payne 3's port was brilliant!
post #132 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post

I think these console will have the shortest life span we have ever seen (for popular console). If you look at the latest Razer blade (or the Aorus X7) which pack much better hardware in a much smaller form factor, just imagine what will be available in a year or two. Off course these current laptop cost ALOT more than a console, im just saying that in 2 years I wouldnt be surprised to see 500$ laptop outperfoming the current razer blade while maintaining the same form factor, making console pretty much irrelevent.

You cant compare directly specs from a console to a PC

a PC with the specs of a PS3 could barely even launch Chrome

yet the PS3 runs games like BF4, yes at low settings, at 30fps

the same will happen with the PS4
GTR-PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k 4.3Ghz  ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Zotac SSD - WD 1TB (x2) Zalman Performa W10 64 Bits HP 2509 25" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sidewinder X6 Thermaltake Smart 700w 80Plus CM Storm Enforcer Mionix Naos 3200 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
GTR-PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k 4.3Ghz  ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Zotac SSD - WD 1TB (x2) Zalman Performa W10 64 Bits HP 2509 25" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sidewinder X6 Thermaltake Smart 700w 80Plus CM Storm Enforcer Mionix Naos 3200 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 143
You dont see it the right way ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Mclaren View Post

You cant compare directly specs from a console to a PC

a PC with the specs of a PS3 could barely even launch Chrome

yet the PS3 runs games like BF4, yes at low settings, at 30fps

the same will happen with the PS4
You dont see it the right way imo. Off course you cant compare hardware but what you can do is compare what you get for your money. If in 2 years a 500$ laptop/desktop can play games @ 1080p on med settings with decent fps well that will be pretty much better than what these console will ever achieve. You can already play alot of games at 1080p with a current 500$ desktop.
post #134 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post

You dont see it the right way ,
You dont see it the right way imo. Off course you cant compare hardware but what you can do is compare what you get for your money. If in 2 years a 500$ laptop/desktop can play games @ 1080p on med settings with decent fps well that will be pretty much better than what these console will ever achieve. You can already play alot of games at 1080p with a current 500$ desktop.

For the sake of this discussion, the experience had on a console is not always comparable to that on a PC, and vice versa.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post

You dont see it the right way ,
You dont see it the right way imo. Off course you cant compare hardware but what you can do is compare what you get for your money. If in 2 years a 500$ laptop/desktop can play games @ 1080p on med settings with decent fps well that will be pretty much better than what these console will ever achieve. You can already play alot of games at 1080p with a current 500$ desktop.

There was an article about that recently. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-next-gen-digital-foundry-pc - in a nutshell you can already to today a PC at the console price that offer better experience in the same games than console. Anyway - in my opinion it is not quite fair to look only at hardware vs hardware comparison as hardware is useless without software. So a more fair comparison would be in my opinion examining the whole package. Meaning (1) Console + X games + any needed subs per year + any auxiliary equipment like TV set vs (2) PC + X games + any needed subs /cost of operating system if using Windows + auxiliary equipment (TV set or Display(s) + mouse/KB .. etc. Ofcource such comparison would be pretty subjective and depending on what a person is after can go in either way. So I guess my point is that if a console is "worth it" or not is pretty much personal subjective thing. However, what makes the landscape a bit more interesting in my opinion in this regard is a Steambox - it's basically a PC pretending to be a console and at that point it probably boils down to which platform has the game you want to play and is this game exclusive.
Kohver v.4
(25 items)
 
Kohver v.3
(21 items)
 
Soliton
(23 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Corsair LE 480HB Sythe big shuriken rev B 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Nexxos 280mm radiator DC-LT Alphacool GPX 390M04 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Significantly modded Jupiter .. something alumi... Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Sythe big shuriken rev B Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Modded Sharkoon VS-3 Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Sapphire 7950 FleX OC XFX 6770 Eyefinity 5 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 64 GB Samsung 750 GB F3 Barracuda 3 TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Custom loop Windows 7 Pro 64 bit DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Modded Chieftec Smart WH-02B-B-OB Logitech G700s 3M Ergonomic 
  hide details  
Reply
Kohver v.4
(25 items)
 
Kohver v.3
(21 items)
 
Soliton
(23 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Corsair LE 480HB Sythe big shuriken rev B 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Nexxos 280mm radiator DC-LT Alphacool GPX 390M04 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Significantly modded Jupiter .. something alumi... Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Sythe big shuriken rev B Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Modded Sharkoon VS-3 Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Sapphire 7950 FleX OC XFX 6770 Eyefinity 5 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 64 GB Samsung 750 GB F3 Barracuda 3 TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Custom loop Windows 7 Pro 64 bit DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Modded Chieftec Smart WH-02B-B-OB Logitech G700s 3M Ergonomic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 143
Auxiliary equipment is an invalid comparison point. You can use pretty much the same auxiliary equipment whether you game on PC or Console. A console isn't restricted to a TV and a PC isn't restricted to a monitor (unless they're ancient). Both can be connected to audio systems. You can have both running from the same auxiliary setup. So no point in using it for comparison.

All that matters is what someone wants to play, and how they want to play it. I prefer using a control pad, so I game more on my console as it's natively supported for every game. I know the playing field is fair as everyone uses the same device. I don't care about price or paying for Xbox Live. Buying digitally I get money back from their reward scheme and overall it's a good service that is integrated into every game. I would pay for a similar service if it was on PC. I only tend to game on my PC at the moment on Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3. Once that comes out on new consoles I will have one less reason to play on my PC. Until the next Elder Scrolls is released anyway. smile.gif
Edited by Lifeshield - 4/16/14 at 1:40am
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz Asus B85M Gamer MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390X 8gb Kingston Hyper X Beast 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HGS 2.5" Sata 1tb Corsair H100i v2 4 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Benq RL2455 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 EVGA Supernova G2 750w Corsair Carbide Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Molten Edition Steel Series Guild Wars 2 Sennheiser HD201 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post

Auxiliary equipment is an invalid comparison point. You can use pretty much the same auxiliary equipment whether you game on PC or Console. A console isn't restricted to a TV and a PC isn't restricted to a monitor (unless they're ancient). Both can be connected to audio systems. You can have both running from the same auxiliary setup. So no point in using it for comparison.

All that matters is what someone wants to play, and how they want to play it. I prefer using a control pad, so I game more on my console as it's natively supported for every game. I know the playing field is fair as everyone uses the same device. I don't care about price or paying for Xbox Live. Buying digitally I get money back from their reward scheme and overall it's a good service that is integrated into every game. I would pay for a similar service if it was on PC. I only tend to game on my PC at the moment on Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3. Once that comes out on new consoles I will have one less reason to play on my PC. Until the next Elder Scrolls is released anyway. smile.gif

Fair enough.

Although consoles do have some limitations as far as auxiliary hardware goes - like being able to run only one up to 1080p screen. So I was meaning with that that if one is saying that "look I can run three 4K screens in eyefinity on the PC" that hardware cost should be factored in into the comparison as this is no longer apples-to-apples comparison. Consoles also come with the controllers while for the PC cost of these can be go into significant numbers if one is aiming for some mech keyboard and top of the line gaming mice. But at the entry level ofc, 3 Eur keyboard + 3 eur mouse will get the job done just as well.

Speaking about PC vs Console thing some more. I read this morning a rather interesting article about Steam statistics at arstechnica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/ - this one has also a separate thread in the news section which was posted this morning. Anyway - what I found in that statistics surprised me somewhat - namely - it might not matter that SteamOS / SteamBox has "only 30 games" (or whatever the real number will be once it launches with fanfare) as the games it has seem to be the ones that are actually driving the Steam on PC. Basically Dota2 and Team Fortress 2 if you take a look at the man-hours committed to these games. These are not exact numbers in that article but methodology is solid and uncertainty is quite small so they should be pretty damn close to reality. So when SteamBox properly releases it might be able to give the traditional heavyweights of MS and Sony in the scene quite serious fight (not counting Wii atm as I think Wii is aiming at bit different segment of people than the ones who usually go for PS4, XBOne or SteamBox). Before reading that article was somewhat skeptical about SteamBox being able to "revolutionize" the console landscape. Now I believe it has a fair chance of actually making an impact.
Kohver v.4
(25 items)
 
Kohver v.3
(21 items)
 
Soliton
(23 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Corsair LE 480HB Sythe big shuriken rev B 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Nexxos 280mm radiator DC-LT Alphacool GPX 390M04 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Significantly modded Jupiter .. something alumi... Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Sythe big shuriken rev B Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Modded Sharkoon VS-3 Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Sapphire 7950 FleX OC XFX 6770 Eyefinity 5 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 64 GB Samsung 750 GB F3 Barracuda 3 TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Custom loop Windows 7 Pro 64 bit DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Modded Chieftec Smart WH-02B-B-OB Logitech G700s 3M Ergonomic 
  hide details  
Reply
Kohver v.4
(25 items)
 
Kohver v.3
(21 items)
 
Soliton
(23 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Corsair LE 480HB Sythe big shuriken rev B 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Nexxos 280mm radiator DC-LT Alphacool GPX 390M04 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Significantly modded Jupiter .. something alumi... Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Gigabyte 390X G1 Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64 GB Barracuda 3 TB WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB Sythe big shuriken rev B Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i Modded Sharkoon VS-3 Logitech G700s 
Mouse Pad
3M Ergonomic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 X79-UP4 Sapphire 7950 FleX OC XFX 6770 Eyefinity 5 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Club3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 64 GB Samsung 750 GB F3 Barracuda 3 TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Green 3 TB Crucial M4 256 GB Crucial M4 64 GB Barracuda 4 TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Custom loop Windows 7 Pro 64 bit DELL U2311H (x3) DELL U2312HM (x2) 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
9.7'' 2048x1536 (x3) IPAD3 retina Asus PB287Q 4K CM Quickfire TK (red) Corsair AX-1200i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Modded Chieftec Smart WH-02B-B-OB Logitech G700s 3M Ergonomic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #138 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

There was an article about that recently. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-next-gen-digital-foundry-pc - in a nutshell you can already to today a PC at the console price that offer better experience in the same games than console. Anyway - in my opinion it is not quite fair to look only at hardware vs hardware comparison as hardware is useless without software. So a more fair comparison would be in my opinion examining the whole package. Meaning (1) Console + X games + any needed subs per year + any auxiliary equipment like TV set vs (2) PC + X games + any needed subs /cost of operating system if using Windows + auxiliary equipment (TV set or Display(s) + mouse/KB .. etc. Ofcource such comparison would be pretty subjective and depending on what a person is after can go in either way. So I guess my point is that if a console is "worth it" or not is pretty much personal subjective thing. However, what makes the landscape a bit more interesting in my opinion in this regard is a Steambox - it's basically a PC pretending to be a console and at that point it probably boils down to which platform has the game you want to play and is this game exclusive.

Maybe if you buy used... that article has a listing price of 500 euro... no console costs that much. (That is a nice price don't misconstrue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

Fair enough.

Although consoles do have some limitations as far as auxiliary hardware goes - like being able to run only one up to 1080p screen. So I was meaning with that that if one is saying that "look I can run three 4K screens in eyefinity on the PC" that hardware cost should be factored in into the comparison as this is no longer apples-to-apples comparison. Consoles also come with the controllers while for the PC cost of these can be go into significant numbers if one is aiming for some mech keyboard and top of the line gaming mice. But at the entry level ofc, 3 Eur keyboard + 3 eur mouse will get the job done just as well.

Speaking about PC vs Console thing some more. I read this morning a rather interesting article about Steam statistics at arstechnica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/ - this one has also a separate thread in the news section which was posted this morning. Anyway - what I found in that statistics surprised me somewhat - namely - it might not matter that SteamOS / SteamBox has "only 30 games" (or whatever the real number will be once it launches with fanfare) as the games it has seem to be the ones that are actually driving the Steam on PC. Basically Dota2 and Team Fortress 2 if you take a look at the man-hours committed to these games. These are not exact numbers in that article but methodology is solid and uncertainty is quite small so they should be pretty damn close to reality. So when SteamBox properly releases it might be able to give the traditional heavyweights of MS and Sony in the scene quite serious fight (not counting Wii atm as I think Wii is aiming at bit different segment of people than the ones who usually go for PS4, XBOne or SteamBox). Before reading that article was somewhat skeptical about SteamBox being able to "revolutionize" the console landscape. Now I believe it has a fair chance of actually making an impact.



They're games that support multiple screens, Gran Turismo supports 3 screens though you are required to have 3 PS3s currently. (I know... one game)

I think price is subjective and it's a silly argument on both sides... majority of the people I know that love consoles enjoy it for the sit down and go factor and the lack of driver requirements.

What that Arstechica article shows me is why consoles are supported by developers, look at Skyrim's figures.
Project OP
(13 items)
 
 
Compooter too
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4690k  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) Black 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) White Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Lightscribe 24x DVDrw Corsair H100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 LG 25UM57 2560 X 1080 60Hz IPS SilverStone Strider plus SST ST1000-P Corsair Carbide 400c White 
Other
Swiftech 8W-PWM 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus x370 crosshair VI Hero ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 m.2 256GB  Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 HP DVD1070 Corsair H115i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Corsair ML140 Pro White (x7) Gnome Tech 560W/mk SSD Heatsink Windows 10 Home EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD 
CaseOther
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900  CableMod PSU Cabling 
  hide details  
Reply
Project OP
(13 items)
 
 
Compooter too
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4690k  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) Black 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) White Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Lightscribe 24x DVDrw Corsair H100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 LG 25UM57 2560 X 1080 60Hz IPS SilverStone Strider plus SST ST1000-P Corsair Carbide 400c White 
Other
Swiftech 8W-PWM 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus x370 crosshair VI Hero ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 m.2 256GB  Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 HP DVD1070 Corsair H115i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Corsair ML140 Pro White (x7) Gnome Tech 560W/mk SSD Heatsink Windows 10 Home EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD 
CaseOther
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900  CableMod PSU Cabling 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTurn View Post

Maybe if you buy used... that article has a listing price of 500 euro... no console costs that much. (That is a nice price don't misconstrue)
They're games that support multiple screens, Gran Turismo supports 3 screens though you are required to have 3 PS3s currently. (I know... one game)

I think price is subjective and it's a silly argument on both sides... majority of the people I know that love consoles enjoy it for the sit down and go factor and the lack of driver requirements.

What that Arstechica article shows me is why consoles are supported by developers, look at Skyrim's figures.

I don't know about your local prices but over here the import PS4 costs 449€, the PS4 EU version is 499€ and the import Xbox One is 499€ (no EU version available.)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTurn View Post

Maybe if you buy used... that article has a listing price of 500 euro... no console costs that much. (That is a nice price don't misconstrue)
They're games that support multiple screens, Gran Turismo supports 3 screens though you are required to have 3 PS3s currently. (I know... one game)

Not just that. He didn't even include the PSU, HDD, Blue Ray Drive, Mouse+Keyboard and OS in those 500 euros.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [DS] The Witcher 3 - 900p on PS4 & 720p on Xbox One, GTX780Ti Pushes 35-45fps At Max Settings