Larger and more important update this time, today I'll show you some of the work that was done to the case so the ut60 280 and psu would fit. I still haven't caught up to the actual state of the build but I'm getting closer, there's not much going on with the build right now as I'm waiting for the tubing to arrive.18. Fabricating the new rear panel:
To be able to mount the 280 radiator the way I intend to, the PSU must be mounted in the top instead. This means that we have to come up with a new rear panel:
(Planned setup, in case you missed it earlier)
The rest of the motherboard plate from the HAF932 that we already used for this builds motherboard mount will once again be used for this. I'll need an L shaped piece like this:
Here we have it cut out:
Case will have to be cut up a little:
Once again i got some help with the cutting. To be honest it does feel a bit like I'm cheating when I'm not doing all the work myself but when it comes to cutting up a somewhat expensive case I'd rather have someone with a it more expertise do it it, than have a go at it myself and possibly end up with a case split in two and two less fingers on my hands.
I have tried using the tools myself but I have a hard time cutting in a straight line so for now I'll just stick to the drills and such. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist so I know I wouldn't be satisfied with the result I'd end up with. The ideas however are mostly (like 90%) all mine so i guess I still can take some credit for the metalwork...19. Fabricating the 280 radiator mount:
I wouldn't be satisifed with having the radiator just sitting on it's side in the case so I had to come with a plan how to make some kind of mounting mechanism to secure it to the case.
Luckily we had already made a custom radiator mount for the front of the modded HAF 932, with radiator mounting holes pre drilled and all, so this would be easy:
Drawing the outlines of the new mount:
Cut out piece. The piece ended up being way floppier than I had thought but luckily it wasn't so bad once I got the radiator screwed on, It ended up being quite sturdy actually:
The floppy nature of the holder reminded me of something else.
Excuse my childish humor
Well uhh, back to the project.
The piece had to get trimmed a little in the corners to make room for the rivets and such keeping the case in piece:
I planned to secure the mounting plate the same way the Motherboard mount is, with sunken-in screws that is. If I wanted to put the screws through the frame of the case (where the side panel also screws in place) a slit in the double plate up front would have to be cut so the rad mounting plate could reach far enough:
The case has been given one hell of a treatment during this build
Let's see if the mounting plate fits:
(The arrows indicate where the screws will go btw)
All screwed in, looks quite nice IMO
(The fans are turned that way to protect the exposed motor, I will have both them and the front as intakes to make positive pressure inside the case)
Not a whole lot of space in front of and behind the radiator. I do plan on adding two 120 radiators more up front so we'll see how that goes, but there should be just about enough room for a 30mm rad + 25mm fan with dust filter.20.Making the PSU mount:
The rear panel clamped in place:
First idea of res placement btw. I've since come up with a better idea for pump + res mounting, I actually finished the mount today.
Cut out the old HAF932 PSU mount to provide me with the position of the screws. It ended up getting a bit bent out of shape in the process:
Managed to straighten it out a bit:
Then I realized the Lian Li case came with one too
This will have to get cut out:
The case also had to get trimmed:
Installed, it looks even better than I had anticipated. I can't imagine what It will look like when it gets painted satin black
Although the coolermaster logo sticks out like sore thumb so I will have to do something about that.21. De-Branding the PSU:
As said previously, the coolermaster logo would have to go and It wouldn't be enough with just removing the little badge from the back so I de-branded it completely. Not that anyone will ever see the branding on the sides, but details like that are important to me.
Cleaned out the dust at the same time:
Done. It looks much better in my eyes. 22. Test-Fitting the newly fabricated parts:
Painted motherboard tray installed:
Motherboard in, the radiator mount was in the way and had to be removed:
Bracket thing in:
It fits perfectly now that the top part is trimmed away. The ports line up 100% now:
Attaching it. The back plate has threaded holes and gets secured with screws that go through the case and the bracket bolts onto the rear plate and case:
That's all for now. In the next update I'll show you the temporary setup I'm using right now, see you then Edited by iBerggman - 4/26/14 at 8:59am