Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech] Samsung Galaxy S 5 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Anandtech] Samsung Galaxy S 5 Review - Page 5

post #41 of 170
Checked out in a store today
It's just doesn't look good and kinda fugly next to HTC M8.But great display and camera nonetheless
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 5Ghz  ASUS ROG MAXIMUS V EXTREME Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Corsair Vengence 8Gb @ 2100MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 850 Pro 256GB XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Photon D5 270mm Reservoir  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC RX 480mm V3 Radiator XSPC 3/8, 5/8 Black Chrome Fittings Primochill Advanced LRT 3/8, 5/8 BloodShed Red ... Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung F8000 55'' Smart 3D LED Sony W300 40'' Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Silverstone Strider ST-1200G 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair OBSIDIAN 900D  Razer DeathAdder 2013 Razer Goliathus EXTENDED (Speed Edition) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X6 1090T @ 4.0Ghz, CPU-NB @ 3Ghz MSI 990FXA-GD80 Nvidia 8800GT Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM LG Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 PRO 64-bit Sony 3D LED 46'' KDLNX720  Logitech ES100 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouse
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 5Ghz  ASUS ROG MAXIMUS V EXTREME Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Corsair Vengence 8Gb @ 2100MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 850 Pro 256GB XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Photon D5 270mm Reservoir  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC RX 480mm V3 Radiator XSPC 3/8, 5/8 Black Chrome Fittings Primochill Advanced LRT 3/8, 5/8 BloodShed Red ... Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung F8000 55'' Smart 3D LED Sony W300 40'' Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Silverstone Strider ST-1200G 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair OBSIDIAN 900D  Razer DeathAdder 2013 Razer Goliathus EXTENDED (Speed Edition) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X6 1090T @ 4.0Ghz, CPU-NB @ 3Ghz MSI 990FXA-GD80 Nvidia 8800GT Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM LG Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 PRO 64-bit Sony 3D LED 46'' KDLNX720  Logitech ES100 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouse
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 170
Is this the phone that can do 4k video?
Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k/5.0Ghz/1.37vBios Gigabyte z97x gaming 5 EVGA 1080 FTW HYBRID(2164core-12,012mem) Mushkin 8x2 16gb 2133mhzOC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
840 evo 250g and 1tb None Cpu:H100i--Gpu:Hybrid Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator x34 Logitech wirless Dell 875.  On a table 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razor Naga Chroma Powercolor Full table pad Onboard Liquid PRO 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k/5.0Ghz/1.37vBios Gigabyte z97x gaming 5 EVGA 1080 FTW HYBRID(2164core-12,012mem) Mushkin 8x2 16gb 2133mhzOC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
840 evo 250g and 1tb None Cpu:H100i--Gpu:Hybrid Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator x34 Logitech wirless Dell 875.  On a table 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razor Naga Chroma Powercolor Full table pad Onboard Liquid PRO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 170
Quote:
Now, it’s not uncommon for people to refer to every Android device as a “Galaxy”,

Yes it is uncommon. Your friends are weird OP's author.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 170
The size is higher because people want a phone always but they only sort-of want a tablet so it's a sort of a combination 70% phone 30% tablet nowadays. A tablet was always a niche, a thing that "ok, it will rarely work well on bed" for most people. Since most tech literate people already have a laptop at least, the tablet was always an optional. Have you tried to use a regular Android phone for this forum? It's extremely easy. Even the keyboard apps autocomplete eveything nowadays, even whole sentences. A tablet is not necessary anymore unless you must have a second person next to you or you are some kind of weirdo that always watches all your videos on bed. But even then I wouldn't get high fps and clarity with SVP/madvr in most devices but that's just me but even if you are so picky, get a tv or projector in your bedroom. Those laptops + tablet that Intel pushes are also recognizing that. Most people only sort of want a tablet but always want a phone and a "full" computer.

The mobile market will not destroy the PC market and it will not take over the world. That is an illusion. It's just the first decade in history that EVERYONE wants to upgrade their phone. But the needs of people are limited regarding phones. That means, once they do get one, they just wait for them to die before upgrading. Have you tried to see the needs of the average person that has an Android phone of an average screen released in the past 2-3 years? He doesn't need anything else, and most likely neither a tablet. It plays youtube videos flawlessly, he gets GPS, he can type, he can browse, he gets network connectivity. Why would he replace it before it dies?

i.e. In 4-6 years all this "Mobiles take over the world" will be over and phones/tablets will level with the PC market and they will have relatively similar market strengths. The problem is not the format of the PC, the PC is still needed and required (especially with the aid of its bigger brothers, servers and workstations), the primordial problem is that the transistor is harder to shrink nowadays and make it more impressive every year. The PC just went there first. Tablets and phones will reach it too soon.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 170
I don't even have a phone at the moment, they keep meeting my door at high velocity.
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post

The size is higher because people want a phone always but they only sort-of want a tablet so it's a sort of a combination 70% phone 30% tablet nowadays. A tablet was always a niche, a thing that "ok, it will rarely work well on bed" for most people. Since most tech literate people already have a laptop at least, the tablet was always an optional. Have you tried to use a regular Android phone for this forum? It's extremely easy. Even the keyboard apps autocomplete eveything nowadays, even whole sentences. A tablet is not necessary anymore unless you must have a second person next to you or you are some kind of weirdo that always watches all your videos on bed. But even then I wouldn't get high fps and clarity with SVP/madvr in most devices but that's just me but even if you are so picky, get a tv or projector in your bedroom. Those laptops + tablet that Intel pushes are also recognizing that. Most people only sort of want a tablet but always want a phone and a "full" computer.

The mobile market will not destroy the PC market and it will not take over the world. That is an illusion. It's just the first decade in history that EVERYONE wants to upgrade their phone. But the needs of people are limited regarding phones. That means, once they do get one, they just wait for them to die before upgrading. Have you tried to see the needs of the average person that has an Android phone of an average screen released in the past 2-3 years? He doesn't need anything else, and most likely neither a tablet. It plays youtube videos flawlessly, he gets GPS, he can type, he can browse, he gets network connectivity. Why would he replace it before it dies?

i.e. In 4-6 years all this "Mobiles take over the world" will be over and phones/tablets will level with the PC market and they will have relatively similar market strengths. The problem is not the format of the PC, the PC is still needed and required (especially with the aid of its bigger brothers, servers and workstations), the primordial problem is that the transistor is harder to shrink nowadays and make it more impressive every year. The PC just went there first. Tablets and phones will reach it too soon.

Tablets are awesome, what are you smoking? LOL JK, tabs are great for people who want laptop functionality without the pricetag and power they won't use from a laptop. I LOVE my Nokis Lumia 2520, and it has come in handy from time to time. DO I use it all the time? No, but my kid sometimes does, and if he breaks it it is a lot less of a hassle than if he broke a $1000+ laptop. I personally think laptops will eventually come to an end. Too expensive for how much they are used, though I am guessing multiple people will quote me saying they use their laptops 24/7.
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

Why is Samsung so desperate with increasing the size of their phones? 5.1 inches is just stupidly big for the average person.

Galaxy S5 has slightly smaller dimensions than both HTC one M8 and xperia Z2

So, if you want a small phone then maybe you should stick with iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

I still see no reason to upgrade my S3.


Thats like someone saying that there is no reason to upgrade from Nvidia GTX 480 to GTX 780 Ti

Galaxy S5 is massive upgrade over S3. Much faster CPU/GPU, much better display quality, better camera, dust/water resistant, fingerprint sensor, USB 3.0 charger and other features
Edited by ThePath - 4/12/14 at 4:11am
post #48 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePath View Post

Thats like someone saying that there is no reason to upgrade from Nvidia GTX 480 to GTX 780 Ti

Galaxy S5 is massive upgrade over S3. Much faster CPU/GPU, much better display quality, better camera, dust/water resistant, fingerprint sensor, USB 3.0 charger and other features
Maybe he doesn't need those things? If I know I'll only be playing Team Fortress 2, do I still need to upgrade from GTX 480 to GTX 780 Ti?.
Edited by Baghi - 4/12/14 at 4:01am
post #49 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

I personally think laptops will eventually come to an end.

Nonsense. You bought a tablet and you think I attack you. I don't. If you need it get it. And you don't even only use it yourself, it's also a second person, making it a different matter.

But what you fail to understand is that there are two primordial needs right now: A phone + a powerful computer for almost any person on the planet.

That means:

Phone + Desktop or Laptop

Phone + Tablet with mouse and keyboard or Desktop or Laptop

Those combinations are satisfactory for most people.

There is also

Phone + Tablet without mouse and keyboard + Laptop or Desktop

But that's really a wishful thinking of chip makers. It's the marketing. The advertisement. If someone has a good phone and a good PC or a good laptop, their needs for a tablet are minimal.


too long didn't read: If someone has a phone then he can only use another "bigger" computer, any of desktop, laptop or tablet that will most likely have external peripherals.

All this nonsense about people needing both desktop or laptops and phones and tablets are wishful thinking, only a small minority does.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

Tablets are awesome, what are you smoking? LOL JK, tabs are great for people who want laptop functionality without the pricetag and power they won't use from a laptop. I LOVE my Nokis Lumia 2520, and it has come in handy from time to time. DO I use it all the time? No, but my kid sometimes does, and if he breaks it it is a lot less of a hassle than if he broke a $1000+ laptop. I personally think laptops will eventually come to an end. Too expensive for how much they are used, though I am guessing multiple people will quote me saying they use their laptops 24/7.

I am currently deployed and use my laptop 24/7 tongue.gif but only because its all I got while over here in the sandbox. Stateside? I rather use my desktop and do my gaming there, or a PS3/PS4 on the couch on my 46" TV. This gaming laptop will only have its uses whenever I'm out of town and need gaming/reading forums on the go! cheers.gif
ASUS G750JW
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ Mobile Intel® HM87 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM 8GB DDR3 1600MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD 1TB hard drive (5400 rpm) Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive Stock Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 17.3” anti-glare FHD LED backlit (1920 x 1080) Onboard 41.0cm x 31.8cm x 1.7-5.0cm, 4.5Kg (8-cell batt... 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
ASUS G750JW  Razer Deathadder 2013 XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G750JW
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ Mobile Intel® HM87 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM 8GB DDR3 1600MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD 1TB hard drive (5400 rpm) Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive Stock Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 17.3” anti-glare FHD LED backlit (1920 x 1080) Onboard 41.0cm x 31.8cm x 1.7-5.0cm, 4.5Kg (8-cell batt... 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
ASUS G750JW  Razer Deathadder 2013 XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech] Samsung Galaxy S 5 Review