Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › New Monitor: IPS vs 120hz+
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Monitor: IPS vs 120hz+

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
To start, I have a budget of around $200 to $300 cad. I want to but a newer monitor with the objective of getting something that easier on the eyes for general use and gaming. But I'm torn between getting an ISP display or getting a 120hz - 144hz display. Colour accuracy is definitly a plus, but I don't need it for any specific reason. And from what I've heard 120hz monitors are a lot easier on the eyes and may or may not prevent tearing.

The IPS montor I was looking at was this, while the 144hz monitor I was looking at is this one.

Of course I'm open to other ideas, but whatever I end up going with needs to be VESA mount compatible.
Edited by Sargas290X - 4/12/14 at 6:06am
post #2 of 13
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-New-MONEX-Matte-M27QSM-Computer-Monitor-QHD-SAMSUNG-PLS-Panel-2560x1440-/231190116284?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item35d40137bc

and overclock it to 120hz like I did.

best of both worlds, plus 1440p kicks 1080p ass, even older games like dragon age look next gen in 1440p
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 10 Bloatware Free Edition 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 10 Bloatware Free Edition 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-New-MONEX-Matte-M27QSM-Computer-Monitor-QHD-SAMSUNG-PLS-Panel-2560x1440-/231190116284?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item35d40137bc

and overclock it to 120hz like I did.

best of both worlds, plus 1440p kicks 1080p ass, even older games like dragon age look next gen in 1440p

i have this monex monitor but if i try to overclock it i get a black screen.how did you manage it,
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 2500k @4.1ghz asus p5kpl msi gamer r9 290 8gig g-skill ddr3 2x4gigs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
mx500 ssd 240 gig pioneer 115 zalman windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
YAMAKASI QH2711 Black Label hiper silverstone 700w strider bronze atx 
Mouse
razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 2500k @4.1ghz asus p5kpl msi gamer r9 290 8gig g-skill ddr3 2x4gigs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
mx500 ssd 240 gig pioneer 115 zalman windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
YAMAKASI QH2711 Black Label hiper silverstone 700w strider bronze atx 
Mouse
razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
I need to order through more recognized retailers. And I already have three monitors so screen restate is not an issue.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargas290X View Post

I need to order through more recognized retailers. And I already have three monitors so screen restate is not an issue.

I know newegg sells some ~$300 Qnix monitors, but I'm not sure if Newegg CA or NCIX do.

If you go 120hz TN, try to fit lightboost (which drastically reduces motion blur) or G-Sync (which greatly improves fluidity with Nvidia cards) in your budget.
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-New-MONEX-Matte-M27QSM-Computer-Monitor-QHD-SAMSUNG-PLS-Panel-2560x1440-/231190116284?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item35d40137bc

and overclock it to 120hz like I did.

best of both worlds, plus 1440p kicks 1080p ass, even older games like dragon age look next gen in 1440p

You were able to OC your monex monitor?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 5930k MSI X99S SLI GTX 1080 32GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
(3x) Crucial 256GB (768gb RAID0) WD 3TB EK Supremacy EVO + D5 Vario GT-AP15 
CoolingMonitorMonitorKeyboard
2X HWLABS GTX360 (2x) 1440p QHD PLS MicroBoard 40" 4k MVA Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair RM1000 Custom Build Logitech G900 Yamaha RX-V465 + 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 5930k MSI X99S SLI GTX 1080 32GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
(3x) Crucial 256GB (768gb RAID0) WD 3TB EK Supremacy EVO + D5 Vario GT-AP15 
CoolingMonitorMonitorKeyboard
2X HWLABS GTX360 (2x) 1440p QHD PLS MicroBoard 40" 4k MVA Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair RM1000 Custom Build Logitech G900 Yamaha RX-V465 + 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Well, I was in your shoes a few months ago, and I went with 1080p@120Hz. I don't regret not going with 1440p in any way. I guess I'll start off by describing my reason why I went with 120Hz, which may help you in your decision.

I wanted a monitor that had 120Hz, simply put. Color accuracy was not a priority, as was resolution. I researched the Qnix/Xstar PLS overclockable monitors, and only some could reliably hit 120hz, which was a chance that I wasn't really wanting to take.

Every once in a while, I play my PS3. Since the Qnix/Xstar monitors don't have an internal scaler, you won't be able to hook them up to anything else besides a PC.

I watch a lot of movies and stuff with SVP, so every movie that I play is played at the refresh rate of my monitor. Seeing how great videos looked at 60fps, I wanted to try something higher. This was one of the cases where I was wanting the color accuracy of the PLS panels.

I am a casual pc gamer, but if I have the time, and I'm in the right mood, I can easily blow 15 hours a day on Skyrim or Mass Effect or something, and I knew I'd appreciate the higher refresh rate.

Some of you may look at my rig and say that 290X crossfire is total overkill for a single 1080p 120Hz screen, and you'd be right, for the most part biggrin.gif . I know how it felt for 4 years having to lower settings in order to get playable frames in most games, and I didn't want to go through that again. Having the peace of mind in knowing that I can max any game I want is really nice. That, and the difference between 1440p and 1080p, strictly in resolution, isn't anything groundbreaking. Yes, the picture is sharper, but the difference isn't as hyped up as most people say it is.

So, with all of that put together, 120Hz at 1080p felt like the best decision.

Now that I have the monitor (BenQ XL2720T), I won't be able to go back to 60Hz again. It just feels and looks stuttery in comparison, especially with lightboost enabled. Just doing general day to day things like browsing the web, scrolling through stuff, dragging windows around, and browsing through the OS feels much more natural, smooth, and easier on the eyes. Some people will probably think that's nitpicking, but it isn't. My accuracy is also better with this monitor.

As far as tearing goes, it's basically the same as 60Hz, but in smaller increments. So, instead of having one big tear ripping your screen in half, you have multiple faster and smaller tears.

I've used a friend's 1440p monitor before (iMac), and the colors and pixel density is pretty nice. Since text is smaller on the screen, I have to squint or zoom in on some stuff. It's not a biggie, though. With my monitor, the colors don't stand out as much, and the pixel density isn't as great, but I prefer my monitor for everything else. You will only notice the color quality when they're side by side, and once separated, it's easy to get acclimated to. 120Hz is much more comfortable and easy on the eyes, and the resolution makes stuff easier to see. So, no zooming in or squinting anymore.

Just keep in mind that these are my experiences and preferences, and they may or may not apply to you or anyone else who's reading my post that is or is not in a similar situation to yours thumb.gif
Edited by airisom2 - 4/12/14 at 8:58am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Well, I was in your shoes a few months ago, and I went with 1080p@120Hz. I don't regret not going with 1440p in any way. I guess I'll start off by describing my reason why I went with 120Hz, which may help you in your decision.

I wanted a monitor that had 120Hz, simply put. Color accuracy was not a priority, as was resolution. I researched the Qnix/Xstar PLS overclockable monitors, and only some could reliably hit 120hz, which was a chance that I wasn't really wanting to take.

Every once in a while, I play my PS3. Since the Qnix/Xstar monitors don't have an internal scaler, you won't be able to hook them up to anything else besides a PC.

I watch a lot of movies and stuff with SVP, so every movie that I play is played at the refresh rate of my monitor. Seeing how great videos looked at 60fps, I wanted to try something higher. This was one of the cases where I was wanting the color accuracy of the PLS panels.

I am a casual pc gamer, but if I have the time, and I'm in the right mood, I can easily blow 15 hours a day on Skyrim or Mass Effect or something, and I knew I'd appreciate the higher refresh rate.

Some of you may look at my rig and say that 290X crossfire is total overkill for a single 1080p 120Hz screen, and you'd be right, for the most part biggrin.gif . I know how it felt for 4 years having to lower settings in order to get playable frames in most games, and I didn't want to go through that again. Having the peace of mind in knowing that I can max any game I want is really nice. That, and the difference between 1440p and 1080p, strictly in resolution, isn't anything groundbreaking. Yes, the picture is sharper, but the difference isn't as hyped up as most people say it is.

So, with all of that put together, 120Hz at 1080p felt like the best decision.

Now that I have the monitor (BenQ XL2720T), I won't be able to go back to 60Hz again. It just feels and looks stuttery in comparison, especially with lightboost enabled. Just doing general day to day things like browsing the web, scrolling through stuff, dragging windows around, and browsing through the OS feels much more natural, smooth, and easier on the eyes. Some people will probably think that's nitpicking, but it isn't. My accuracy is also better with this monitor.

As far as tearing goes, it's basically the same as 60Hz, but in smaller increments. So, instead of having one big tear ripping your screen in half, you have multiple faster and smaller tears.

I've used a friend's 1440p monitor before (iMac), and the colors and pixel density is pretty nice. Since text is smaller on the screen, I have to squint or zoom in on some stuff. It's not a biggie, though. With my monitor, the colors don't stand out as much, and the pixel density isn't as great, but I prefer my monitor for everything else. You will only notice the color quality when they're side by side, and once separated, it's easy to get acclimated to. 120Hz is much more comfortable and easy on the eyes, and the resolution makes stuff easier to see. So, no zooming in or squinting anymore.

Just keep in mind that these are my experiences and preferences, and they may or may not apply to you or anyone else who's reading my post that is or is not in a similar situation to yours thumb.gif

Lightboost is a bigger deal than 120hz IMHO. Yes, 120hz helps motion blur to some extent and looks visibly smoother, but lightboost actually does something about the awful response times of LCDs in general... it's night and day. That's something you can't get with 1440p yet.

I wouldn't get a plain 120hz TN monitor over a 60hz IPS or VA one, but lightboost and G-Sync are a big deal.

On a side note, MadVR is far superior to SVP tongue.gif
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post


Lightboost is a bigger deal than 120hz IMHO. Yes, 120hz helps motion blur to some extent and looks visibly smoother, but lightboost actually does something about the awful response times of LCDs in general... it's night and day. That's something you can't get with 1440p yet.

I wouldn't get a plain 120hz TN monitor over a 60hz IPS or VA one, but lightboost and G-Sync are a big deal.

On a side note, MadVR is far superior to SVP tongue.gif

Lightboost is only night and day in fps games that can keep up the frames, and in blurbusters tests. Other than that, I don't really care for lightboost, and I haven't even really used it since I've had this monitor. G-sync, however, has great potential for rigs that can't keep up the frames, which is basically the majority of the rigs out there. For those who can keep a framelimit to the refresh rate of their monitor or higher, then G-Sync's value rapidly diminishes.

I don't see how MadVR is "far superior" when you can use them together...
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the detailed post airisom2, rep+. Linus did a video on the BenQ XL2420TE and gave it a pretty favorable review.

From my research it seems that these 144hz tn panels are really high end because you can't cheap out and still achieve 144hz. So I don't think a lot of the criticisms of cheaper TN panels really apply, even though clearly IPS will have better colour wise. And I feel as though 144hz would be better on my eyes, as my current TN 60hz panel give me noticeable eye strain.

Also, I know my sig isn't filled out but my video card is a 7870. Is there such a thing as hacked drivers that make lightboost work on amd cards?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › New Monitor: IPS vs 120hz+