Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Possibly coming over from Intel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possibly coming over from Intel

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Ever since I started building computers for gaming I have been an Intel/Nvidia kinda guy.. I wouldnt say fan boy as I dont cheer for anyone.. But anyways.. I have 2x 280x cards and I am in need of a new CPU and was thinking possibly of going all AMD.. I have mining AMD rigs so I have gotten a bit more comfortable with the idea..

So if I was looking for something comparable to a 4770k in the price range of $270 for CPU and $200 for a Mobo.. What would I be looking at with AMD and how does it compare...

Was going to go to Microcenter to get these parts and they offer combo cpu/mobo deals.. Here is a link if anyone wants to see what they offer and help me choose possibly parts. Any recommendations would be helpful as I know very little about amd cpu structure

AMD Bundle at Microcenter

It doesnt have to be part of their bundle but I think they do offer almost all the popular chip and mobo options as bundles and it saves up to $40

Just by looking at the pricing I would think the FX 9590 Black Edition Boxed Processor is what I am looking at as comparable to the 4770k?
post #2 of 35
Well it depend on if you are going to oc or not.
At Stock speed FX 9590 is about the the same as an i7 4770k.
If you are going to oc than i7 4770k is the way to go.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

Well it depend on if you are going to oc or not.
At Stock speed FX 9590 is about the the same as an i7 4770k.
If you are going to oc than i7 4770k is the way to go.

Well I have a waterblock for both AMD and Intel and a full loop so I would put some sort of OC on it.. Within the realm of it being safe for the components..

So 4770k is the way to go with a waterloop OC?

Isnt the AMD an 8 physical core CPU? So shouldnt that be better than the 4770k? Or am I mistaken?
post #4 of 35
If you want the best performance without having to tweak anything I'd say pony up for a 4770K. If you want good performance and something that's fun to tweak and play around with to get better performance, get the AMD processor. If you like overclocking your processor then save yourself some money and get the FX8350 and good cooling, like the Cooler Master Glacer 240L, and overclock the hell out of it. Even if you end up with the 9590, I'd still take a look at something like the Glacer 240L or the Corsair H105. That chip will put out a lot of heat and those AIO LCS will keep it frosty and pretty quiet.

With all that said, I've opted to get the 8350 and good cooling (a very soon upgrade, I have crap cooling right now). Even with my present cooling, I really love this chip. Desktop is zippy, games scream along, and any processor-intensive work (decoding, zipping, etc.) is fast and furious.

I'd recommend the 4770K with the Asus Z87-A mobo if you want go that route. Alternatively I'd recommend the FX9370 with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo. If you don't tweak at all grab the FX9590, you're really just paying for a higher clockspeed which you can do yourself with good cooling and a mild OC.

On a side note, I had used nVidia gfx cards for years and finally jumped over to the AMD side and I couldn't be happier. My R9 290 is a beast of a card, overclocks well, and rips through all the games I play! Best of all, I got it before the price hike and now it looks like prices are returning to normal! I no longer feel like I'm paying a mark-up for the "name brand" and instead I'm paying for raw performance! That's all just my 2cents.gif
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusIV View Post

If you want the best performance without having to tweak anything I'd say pony up for a 4770K. If you want good performance and something that's fun to tweak and play around with to get better performance, get the AMD processor. If you like overclocking your processor then save yourself some money and get the FX8350 and good cooling, like the Cooler Master Glacer 240L, and overclock the hell out of it. Even if you end up with the 9590, I'd still take a look at something like the Glacer 240L or the Corsair H105. That chip will put out a lot of heat and those AIO LCS will keep it frosty and pretty quiet.

With all that said, I've opted to get the 8350 and good cooling (a very soon upgrade, I have crap cooling right now). Even with my present cooling, I really love this chip. Desktop is zippy, games scream along, and any processor-intensive work (decoding, zipping, etc.) is fast and furious.

I'd recommend the 4770K with the Asus Z87-A mobo if you want go that route. Alternatively I'd recommend the FX9370 with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo. If you don't tweak at all grab the FX9590, you're really just paying for a higher clockspeed which you can do yourself with good cooling and a mild OC.

On a side note, I had used nVidia gfx cards for years and finally jumped over to the AMD side and I couldn't be happier. My R9 290 is a beast of a card, overclocks well, and rips through all the games I play! Best of all, I got it before the price hike and now it looks like prices are returning to normal! I no longer feel like I'm paying a mark-up for the "name brand" and instead I'm paying for raw performance! That's all just my 2cents.gif

I have a water loop with 2 rad blocks... So I have decent cooling if not dare I say great cooling..
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

I have a water loop with 2 rad blocks... So I have decent cooling if not dare I say great cooling..

I'd say that's pretty darn good cooling so you're safe whichever processor you pick! My apologies for not checking your sig rig before my reply, where you clearly have your cooling capacity spelled out! thumb.gif

In my opinion it comes down to how much you like to tweak your processor then. I like to play with my settings and I think it's a lot more fun to do on AMD processors. In my opinion, real world usage, I feel like I get more for my money with AMD processors. My usage is 50% gaming, 40% general use (web, productivity, etc), and 10% utility (zipping / unzipping, decoding, rendering, etc).

With that said, you have access to a Microcenter which has the best processor prices hands down. If you're looking for performance, whether stock or OC, Intel is the way to go. Get a 4770K with that Asus mobo, overclock it and don't look back.
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusIV View Post

I'd say that's pretty darn good cooling so you're safe whichever processor you pick! My apologies for not checking your sig rig before my reply, where you clearly have your cooling capacity spelled out! thumb.gif

In my opinion it comes down to how much you like to tweak your processor then. I like to play with my settings and I think it's a lot more fun to do on AMD processors. In my opinion, real world usage, I feel like I get more for my money with AMD processors. My usage is 50% gaming, 40% general use (web, productivity, etc), and 10% utility (zipping / unzipping, decoding, rendering, etc).

With that said, you have access to a Microcenter which has the best processor prices hands down. If you're looking for performance, whether stock or OC, Intel is the way to go. Get a 4770K with that Asus mobo, overclock it and don't look back.

I think that is what I am leaning towards however I was thinking of this board over the Asus.. Even though I love Asus boards myself..

Gigabtye UD4H
http://www.microcenter.com/product/414773/GA-Z87X-UD4H_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

For $25 more I could get the Asus Pro.. I just think the Gigabyte may be better
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=614842

Actually as I look at it.. The Asus does have more bells and whistles.. but I thought the UD4H had a better bridge for OC..
Edited by JMattes - 4/14/14 at 7:12am
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

I think that is what I am leaning towards however I was thinking of this board over the Asus.. Even though I love Asus boards myself..

Gigabtye UD4H
http://www.microcenter.com/product/414773/GA-Z87X-UD4H_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

For $25 more I could get the Asus Pro.. I just think the Gigabyte may be better
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=614842

Actually as I look at it.. The Asus does have more bells and whistles.. but I thought the UD4H had a better bridge for OC..

I really like Gigabyte boards myself but Asus boards are just a little bit better. If it were me, I'd buy the Giga board but you def can't go wrong with an Asus. I think Asus quality is great and the UEFI is top notch as well so if you're leaning towards the Pro I'd say do it!

Side note: As the owner of a custom loop, would you say I'm better off saving for a full custom loop or would I be perfectly happy with the Glacer 240L? Some day I'd like to have my graphics cards in there too and I'm thinking that rather than using the Glacer 240L as a sort of half-step I should just save up for a real custom loop right off the bat. What would you recommend?
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusIV View Post

I really like Gigabyte boards myself but Asus boards are just a little bit better. If it were me, I'd buy the Giga board but you def can't go wrong with an Asus. I think Asus quality is great and the UEFI is top notch as well so if you're leaning towards the Pro I'd say do it!

Side note: As the owner of a custom loop, would you say I'm better off saving for a full custom loop or would I be perfectly happy with the Glacer 240L? Some day I'd like to have my graphics cards in there too and I'm thinking that rather than using the Glacer 240L as a sort of half-step I should just save up for a real custom loop right off the bat. What would you recommend?

Thanks for the help... I will see when I get to the store.. Thinking Asus as it has the bells and whistles and I can finally get rid of the Wireless card..

As for the loop.. I dont know anything about the Glacer as I am sure its a new product.. I did try the Corsair H100 back in the day when I folded and the full loop was the way to go.. If you do plan on getting your card on the loop too I would say the investment is worth it for the full loop.. However we are on the edge of when new waterblocks may be needed for CPUs.. With Broadwell and Skylake.. So it depends on your upgrade cycle.. Rad never go bad.. same with pumps.. so they will always be good investments.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

Thanks for the help... I will see when I get to the store.. Thinking Asus as it has the bells and whistles and I can finally get rid of the Wireless card..

As for the loop.. I dont know anything about the Glacer as I am sure its a new product.. I did try the Corsair H100 back in the day when I folded and the full loop was the way to go.. If you do plan on getting your card on the loop too I would say the investment is worth it for the full loop.. However we are on the edge of when new waterblocks may be needed for CPUs.. With Broadwell and Skylake.. So it depends on your upgrade cycle.. Rad never go bad.. same with pumps.. so they will always be good investments.

The Glacer 240L is a semi-DIY loop, an expandable loop, that's a collaboration between Swiftech (when the H220 got blocked by Asetek) and Cooler Master. It's basically a step between a full custom loop and an AIO LCS like the H100. I think you're right, since I'd like to get my R9 290 into the loop (and eventually two of them!) I might as well just go custom right off the bat. I've got a fairly decent EK-centric loop parted out on Performance PCs website that's CPU only to start with and is about $400. Here's the loop in case you're interested...

Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Possibly coming over from Intel