Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Gizmodo] Police Are Testing a "Live Google Earth" To Watch Crime As It Happens
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gizmodo] Police Are Testing a "Live Google Earth" To Watch Crime As It Happens - Page 5

post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenty View Post

We will be chipped in time...... Then they will know for sure where you are.


One step at a time...... Don't want to wake the sheeple. smile.gif

We're so.... going to be screwed........................
post #42 of 90
This sounds expensive.

If we would just develop Precog's, like in minority report, we could reduce the police force and crime at the same time.

Win win for everyone.
post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoRad View Post

This is an invasion of privacy. With this technology you can bypass laws pertaining to evidence gathering and monitoring. People can still have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public spaces. Discussions between friends or partners don't suddenly become public domain because they took place on the street.

Being out on the street is being out on the street with other people and that's it. There's no - oh, I'm now on the street so everyone is entitled to knowing what I do when I'm out.

The biggest issue with this is that at one point the people on those monitors may stop being people in the eyes of the watchers. They'll simply become data, dots moving around. Technology like this lends itself to abuse and power tripping. It's dehumanizing in a way.

WELL PUT!

This is like the Dark Knight where he builds the computer in the basement that basically does the samething. He then destroyed it as he knew it was wrong to have it.
Edited by ejb222 - 4/15/14 at 9:06am
Home PC
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 - 4770k MSI Z87 Mpower Max AMD R9 290x G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer NZXT Kraken x60 
MonitorPower
Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor Rosewill Capstone 750 modular 
  hide details  
Reply
Home PC
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 - 4770k MSI Z87 Mpower Max AMD R9 290x G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer NZXT Kraken x60 
MonitorPower
Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor Rosewill Capstone 750 modular 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryosis00 View Post

This sounds expensive.

If we would just develop Precog's, like in minority report, we could reduce the police force and crime at the same time.

Win win for everyone.

Even if we had precogs, we'd still keep every cop. Cutting LE jobs is like trying to do a root canal without anesthetic. They'll kick, scream and fight it tooth and nail.
Langour
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz MSI p67a-gd80 MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 960mhz Mushkin Ridgeback 8gb (2 x 4gb) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD blue caviar 1T; Mushkin Castillo SSD 60gb Corsair 850HX Corsair 600T Special Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Langour
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz MSI p67a-gd80 MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 960mhz Mushkin Ridgeback 8gb (2 x 4gb) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD blue caviar 1T; Mushkin Castillo SSD 60gb Corsair 850HX Corsair 600T Special Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoRad View Post

This is an invasion of privacy. With this technology you can bypass laws pertaining to evidence gathering and monitoring. People can still have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public spaces. Discussions between friends or partners don't suddenly become public domain because they took place on the street.

Being out on the street is being out on the street with other people and that's it. There's no - oh, I'm now on the street so everyone is entitled to knowing what I do when I'm out.

The biggest issue with this is that at one point the people on those monitors may stop being people in the eyes of the watchers. They'll simply become data, dots moving around. Technology like this lends itself to abuse and power tripping. It's dehumanizing in a way.



What???

In public... you somehow believe that you have a right to your own "personal space" and all information flowing within it?

As if you own that airspace or something.

I have tried to stay out of these "news" threads recently, but this reply is insane on the face of it.

Yeeees, because Bill the private aviation pilot flying from one small airport to another through public air(space) is ALL ON HIS OWN, and can make up his own rules, simply because he has an expectation of privacy up there.

(I'm a private pilot, so YES I KNOW there are rules that are in force to protect people while flying, and to protect those on the ground; This is not what I'm talking about.)

NOTHING about your rights, the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, or anything else guarantees your privacy if you run your mouth loud enough to be heard or overheard.
There's a reason my wife and I have signals for things, and know when to keep our mouths shut, and the places that we can talk... Common sense dictates that any space that you don't OWN OUTRIGHT is NOT safe to talk in!!!

Amazing.

BUT... I promised phill I'd stop posting, so, sorry!

FYI, you say something about your business idea (not yet protected by copyright, etc) to your partner while waiting on coffee at Starschmucks and I overhear you?
I'M GONNA SELL THAT IDEA, AND YOU CAN'T DO JACK TO THE DIDDLY to stop me.

"Expectation of being an idiot" is what I call what you're talking about.



Thanks - T
Edited by Thrasher1016 - 4/15/14 at 9:20am
post #46 of 90
You know what? Bring this on. Do it. In a year when crime rates haven't decreased the plug will get pulled and we will not have to worry about this for a long time...save for the NSA doing it, but as long as you don't deal with NSA employees (related, date, marry, divorce) or do actions that cause you to be a person of interest you will not be watched.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoRad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

Yessir this. Imagine if within seconds of you hitting 911 and being connected, dispatch has a live satellite view of your location. You give them a description of the location/car make/model of the suspect, and all they have to do is keep their dispatched units informed on their location. Police will be able to track thieves long after the fact by analyzing satellite footage, kind of like Deja Vu (Denzel movie).

I severely doubt that someone with access to the software has the time to freely roam around spying on random people; they'll most likely be actively tracking actual suspects, or developing the software.

How would know anyway what someone in that position would do? Do you know how they get picked, get trained, are supervised? This is a situation where you have absolutely no control over the one watching you. You have no idea who's behind that monitor. All you know is that they're from "the system", an amalgam of people, technologies, procedures and processes where interaction with the common people is abstracted and compartmentalized.

People will stop become people, they'll be suspects, or victims or accomplices. I say the important part of being a police officer is actually interacting with the people, seeing what's happening from ground zero. Not sitting in a room in front of monitors and pressing buttons seeing how well you get to play as an omnipresent being.

Also are these the two best excuses for accepting this thing:

- They (probably) won't be watching me specifically?
- Think of the children?

Really? The only way the police can do their job these days is to have recording devices everywhere and blackmail people with scare-lines such as "if you don't go along your children will be abducted and we won't be able to find them in time"?

Do we honestly really even know that information in any given day-to-day scenario? What happens when you sign up for service with a cable, internet, or cellphone provider, (which often require your social security number) or place an order from any given business and provide your credit card information? Or how about when you sign up to get the credit cards themselves? Your bank's identity theft security department? Did you know that they monitor your credit card transactions nearly 7x24? Don't tell me you've never received that call asking you to verify a few recent purchases.

If you're guilty of signing up/buying anything in any of the above examples with little worry of what someone in those organizations "could do," you have little reason to worry about this matter either.
Edited by Stealth Pyros - 4/15/14 at 9:26am
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feild Scarecrow View Post

If you do not break the law in public this is good for you. I'm excited when this combines with google glass and gives police omniscience. I do not understand why people are so afraid of their pasts. Own up to your mistakes and quit living life with mask on. Laws are their for a reason and you are not an exception.

You sir, are the problem. Just because you don't understand the right to privacy doesn't mean you get to give it up. I don't break laws, and have no past to be afraid of. I've never been arrested, and have nothing to hide from anyone. I still won't give up my rights; because I know from history where this leads. Yes, this is where learning history in school was important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurfsHarem View Post

Ehh, Can't say I'm opposed.

I have two kids.

Hypothetically speaking if they were abducted you would have a much greater chance at finding them before something terrible happened.

I have 4 kids. Two are in their 20's. Haven't lost one yet, and never needed privacy-invading surveillance to help me be a parent. Neither does anyone else.
Finally...
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4930k @4.4GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB 2TB WD Black ASUS Blu-ray combo, LiteOn dvdrw MCR320 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCR320 MCP655 Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel plated EK Multi-Option 150 Res 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 HP 32q Logitech G19 & Logitech G13 EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Razer Mamba Razer Destructor Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally...
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4930k @4.4GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB 2TB WD Black ASUS Blu-ray combo, LiteOn dvdrw MCR320 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCR320 MCP655 Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel plated EK Multi-Option 150 Res 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 HP 32q Logitech G19 & Logitech G13 EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Razer Mamba Razer Destructor Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooterboy View Post

I have 4 kids. Two are in their 20's. Haven't lost one yet, and never needed privacy-invading surveillance to help me be a parent. Neither does anyone else.

Yes because you have complete and utter control at all times, its entirely impossible for someone to take your kids from school or from your home without you even knowing about it.

Because, you know... that never happens... rolleyes.gif

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not saying this is the best way to go about security. However in certain circumstances I would be glad to have it around.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 7700k Z270M-DH3 UD 1151 MATX Zotac 1070 Amp! Edition CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D4 3200 C16 VLPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO Samsung 250GB 850 EVO Corsair 64GB M4 CORSAIR H110i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ASUS VG248QE 24" 1920x1080 144Hz  Corsair K65 - Cherry Reds SEASONIC 80PLUS GOLD X-650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Computer Case Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK mass 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 7700k Z270M-DH3 UD 1151 MATX Zotac 1070 Amp! Edition CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D4 3200 C16 VLPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO Samsung 250GB 850 EVO Corsair 64GB M4 CORSAIR H110i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ASUS VG248QE 24" 1920x1080 144Hz  Corsair K65 - Cherry Reds SEASONIC 80PLUS GOLD X-650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Computer Case Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK mass 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooterboy View Post




I have 4 kids. Two are in their 20's. Haven't lost one yet, and never needed privacy-invading surveillance to help me be a parent. Neither does anyone else.

I really hate comments like this. Your kids survived, but many others did not. People say the same thing about car seats. "I survived riding on my mom's lap, what's the big deal?"

I say give it a whirl...if it helps...it will stay. If it doesn't...it will disappear.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Gizmodo] Police Are Testing a "Live Google Earth" To Watch Crime As It Happens