Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › TriX OC R9 290X VS GTX 780 Classified
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TriX OC R9 290X VS GTX 780 Classified - Page 4

post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

It is not all about mhz though, surely other things about the cards are different. Or no one would get 290x since its £80+ for a 60mhz OC.

if you are into benching, then get the X or even the classy (it is fun to reach high clocks like 1400). gaming - 290.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 65
The only real difference between them two is the no. of shaders. The 290 has 2560 vs 2816 for the 290x. These won't come into play unless you run apps that really need these. Here's a little review you could refer.
post #33 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Here's a little review you could refer.

I was looking at this earlier, which is the reason I am thinking of the TriX version over any others. All the other designs seem too hot. Might be a reason to go Nvidia? Just play it safe with noise and heat. I hate hard decsions!
post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

I was looking at this earlier, which is the reason I am thinking of the TriX version over any others. All the other designs seem too hot. Might be a reason to go Nvidia? Just play it safe with noise and heat. I hate hard decsions!

Well, if you go Nvidia then i guess, the EVGA is the preferred brand due to great performing cards and good CS.
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

look at your firestrike at 1170 MHz. that's like 1050 on the 290. you did not have to flash the 290. the problem was - silicon lottery or skills.

@op, 4.2 GHz on the cpu will suffice for any of the gpus.

Now I can't even begin to try to understand your point anymore, but if I had to guess, then your suggesting that my perfectly documented testing and the perfectly representative results of it were faulty because of me lacking the secret sauce for amazing performance called "skills"?
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

Now I can't even begin to try to understand your point anymore, but if I had to guess, then your suggesting that my perfectly documented testing and the perfectly representative results of it were faulty because of me lacking the secret sauce for amazing performance called "skills"?

last post.

your oc'ing results on both brands speak for themselves.redface.gif

@op, 650W is plenty.

@spec, you included Firestrike in your thread. lol
Edited by rdr09 - 4/16/14 at 5:18am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 65
Thread Starter 
Just to clear it up, Corsair TX650w PSU is enough for TriX 290X and i7 3770k at around 4.2GHz? I mostly game but sometimes render on Sony Vegas which gets my CPU to 99% useage.
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

last post.

your oc'ing results on both brands speak for themselves.redface.gif

Those oc's are also perfectly in line with the real world. But since I suppose I got your point of me being a noob with no understanding on anything relating to GPUs, I also suppose I'm done with you. You keep hanging on to those single run Fire Strike results of yours.
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

Just to clear it up, Corsair TX650w PSU is enough for TriX 290X and i7 3770k at around 4.2GHz? I mostly
game but sometimes render on Sony Vegas which gets my CPU to 99% useage.

It must be good for your system. Nothing bad from reviews of that unit
post #40 of 65
yes it prob is enough power...but your running that near its max...harder you o.c that gpu the more power its going to draw...

now back to the gpus
These gpus are completely different in terms of the stuff in side them core clock v.s core clock you cant compare cause they run on different architectures .
The r9 290x does draw more power and generates more heat out of the box than a 780ti.
What most people dont tell you is that overclocking is different to the stock overclock stuff coming out of the box

This is OCN,guys its about overclockable performance...by all means you get cheaper plenty 780ti's that can do the basic job and trade punches with a 290x
Cards like classified,kingpins and lightnings do come with fancy coolers and beefy overclocks yes,but theres always head room to push them more...
A 780ti classified can draw just as much if not more power than a 290x and can heat up just as much...if you play around with overclocking it well.

One problem with the 290x is its extream mem bandwidth,theres no way a application can use it effectively yes hi res games the 290x does draw the gap closer in frames per sec against the 780ti in benching and gaming.

As i said before both cards are good but the classified is better ...put it up against a lighting 290x .The msi lighting is the best 290x followed by the Asus 290x matrix on the market and the EVGA 780ti classfied and king pins are the best 780tis on the market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › TriX OC R9 290X VS GTX 780 Classified