Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › TriX OC R9 290X VS GTX 780 Classified
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TriX OC R9 290X VS GTX 780 Classified - Page 5

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEANupguy7 View Post

yes it prob is enough power...but your running that near its max...harder you o.c that gpu the more power its going to draw...

now back to the gpus
These gpus are completely different in terms of the stuff in side them core clock v.s core clock you cant compare cause they run on different architectures .
The r9 290x does draw more power and generates more heat out of the box than a 780ti.
What most people dont tell you is that overclocking is different to the stock overclock stuff coming out of the box

This is OCN,guys its about overclockable performance...by all means you get cheaper plenty 780ti's that can do the basic job and trade punches with a 290x
Cards like classified,kingpins and lightnings do come with fancy coolers and beefy overclocks yes,but theres always head room to push them more...
A 780ti classified can draw just as much if not more power than a 290x and can heat up just as much...if you play around with overclocking it well.

One problem with the 290x is its extream mem bandwidth,theres no way a application can use it effectively yes hi res games the 290x does draw the gap closer in frames per sec against the 780ti in benching and gaming.

As i said before both cards are good but the classified is better ...put it up against a lighting 290x .The msi lighting is the best 290x followed by the Asus 290x matrix on the market and the EVGA 780ti classfied and king pins are the best 780tis on the market

ok, i lied.


that's your opinion. mine is - the 290X is better. now, if you are referring to the 780Ti classified, then, yah.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 65
Thread Starter 
Can we forget performance please... its causing too many issues in the thread. redface.gif

Which wins on heat/noise? GTX 780 ACX classified cooler vs. Saph R9 290X TriX cooler.
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

Can we forget performance please... its causing too many issues in the thread. redface.gif

Which wins on heat/noise? GTX 780 ACX classified cooler vs. Saph R9 290X TriX cooler.

there you go.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

ok, i lied.


that's your opinion. mine is - the 290X is better. now, if you are referring to the 780Ti classified, then, yah.
lol blond moment reading this all wrong...i was looking at the 780ti yep....
A buddie of mine has a 780 Classy and another a 290 tri x cooler...(take note not the x).
We did a few runs and the 780 beat it...on the other hand yes the 290x is faster than the 780 but not faster than the 780ti


and

take note these cards are both on water
take note this test has been done ages ago...and the new nividia wonder beta divers do help
I saw a 270 point increase on my current system
Edited by KLEANupguy7 - 4/16/14 at 6:41am
post #45 of 65
Thread Starter 
Thanks KLEAN, I am edging towards 290X as long as it is quiet on load.. I've read on reviews it is but can't always trust them!
Plus future upgrades might be 1440p monitor IPS so the extra VRAM would help!

I didn't think this topic would attract so many views! redface.gif
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEANupguy7 View Post

lol blond moment reading this all wrong...i was looking at the 780ti yep....
A buddie of mine has a 780 Classy and another a 290 tri x cooler...(take note not the x).
We did a few runs and the 780 beat it...on the other hand yes the 290x is faster than the 780 but not faster than the 780ti


and

take note these cards are both on water
take note this test has been done ages ago...and the new nividia wonder beta divers do help
I saw a 270 point increase on my current system

that 290X will be matched by a 290 at 1260.

now, I want to see your buddies' results.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

Thanks KLEAN, I am edging towards 290X as long as it is quiet on load.. I've read on reviews it is but can't always trust them!
Plus future upgrades might be 1440p monitor IPS so the extra VRAM would help!

I didn't think this topic would attract so many views! redface.gif

I recommend the 780, since you're sensitive to heat and noise. you don't want heat - stay away from Hawaii. imo, they are meant for watercooling.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 65
Thread Starter 
I looked at some more reviews. thumb.gif

Performance is basically level pegging, the extra VRAM will be worth it in future (as I don't want to upgrade again for a while). The TriX R9 290X is 3 dB(A) quieter and 2'C hotter at load apparently.

I think I agree with those saying go for the TriX R9 290X.


I couldn't find any review that has both of these cards on a chart so had to use different reviewers to compare results:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_classified_review,9.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290X_Tri-X_OC/28.html
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotii View Post

I looked at some more reviews. thumb.gif

Performance is basically level pegging, the extra VRAM will be worth it in future (as I don't want to upgrade again for a while). The TriX R9 290X is 3 dB(A) quieter and 2'C hotter at load apparently.

I think I agree with those saying go for the TriX R9 290X.


I couldn't find any review that has both of these cards on a chart so had to use different reviewers to compare results:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_classified_review,9.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290X_Tri-X_OC/28.html

i recommend finding a review showing the VRM temps. they are as important as the core temp. they limit the oc potential of a card on both brands. a better source, like you said, is ocn. ask here about the Tri-X

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club

and here for the Classy . . .

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-owners-club
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 65
well its game dependant i would say...and its also how you play games and whats acceptable for you...With 4k on the rise 2160p is just to much computational power for a single gpu
a 295x just makes the cutt...you need two 290x or two 780s to game at comfort .I would much rather consider that when looking towards the future.
regrading the benches my budies did i would say they irrelevant cause on the one hand i have a heavily overclocked evga 780 clasified and the other a factory clocked 290 tri-x

290 tri-x

780 classfied
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › TriX OC R9 290X VS GTX 780 Classified