Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SSD RAID 0 failure
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SSD RAID 0 failure - Page 6  

post #51 of 181
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

The issue is the Unit Igor really does not know very much about RAID. The fact that he knows so little makes his totally unqualified to recommend it. How do you not understand the failure rate nor understand the performance benefits? The bias is absolutely on Unit Igor and his ignorance on The issue is the Unit Igor really does not know very much about RAID. The fact that he knows so little makes his totally unqualified to recommend it. How do you not understand the failure rate nor understand the performance benefits? The bias is absolutely on Unit Igor and his ignorance on the topic. He is telling people to ignore failure rates since they are so low. That is not the proper thing to do. A few of us here have repeatedly attempt to explain and justify logically but it falling on upon deaf ears.
Again you are lying. Again you are cutting and twisting information.
I know about RAID 0 enough to set up one reliable array and apparently you have problem with that.You said you work for EVGA,Intel and now you are here, on hobby site ,now I see why ,you making philosophy out of everything.In today world you need to be efficient.
I am by the way still working my 20 year job ,fishing and I am one of best in it.Did you watch "deadliest cache".
Now i get ,maybe it just cant get it in your head that Intel make it so simple that you can do it as a hobby. That we don't need you, enterprise man to do it for us.
You are like that old mechanic, you know ,when old lady come with flat tire .
Mechanic:O ,you know ,you think its simple but its not,we need at least 20 days. Please go to bank put a mortgage on the house.
BUT guess what ,we are not old lady's.
Problem is that this is your job and apparently you are sick of it.
post #52 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Igor View Post

Again you are lying. Again you are cutting and twisting information.
I know about RAID 0 enough to set up one reliable array and apparently you have problem with that.You said you work for EVGA,Intel and now you are here, on hobby site ,now I see why ,you making philosophy out of everything.In today world you need to be efficient.
I am by the way still working my 20 year job ,fishing and I am one of best in it.Did you watch "deadliest cache".
Now i get ,maybe it just cant get it in your head that Intel make it so simple that you can do it as a hobby. That we don't need you, enterprise man to do it for us.
You are like that old mechanic, you know ,when old lady come with flat tire .
Mechanic:O ,you know ,you think its simple but its not,we need at least 20 days. Please go to bank put a mortgage on the house.
BUT guess what ,we are not old lady's.
Problem is that this is your job and apparently you are sick of it.
Igor, you don't even understand the basic equation on how to calculate RAID failure. You don't know how to do a cost-benefit analysis. You don't know how to qualify performance. You have demonstrated this things repeatedly. These are the fundamentals. If you don't have a strong foundation, how can you understand hardware RAID, firmware, metadata, queue depth, AHCI, TLER, etc?

I don't lie. Show were you think I lied and I'll drop more facts.

Who says I am sick of my job? I enjoy my job... I build financial systems.

You're a fisherman.... I am a computer engineer and system architect. We are talking about RAID... so who's domain are you in? You may think you know a lot about RAID, but really do not know that much. It's like a high school student say that they know a lot about mathematics. When they hit college, they realize that they know so very little. The fundamentals of RAID has not changed.... EVER. The difference between enterprise and consumer RAID0 is nothing.... but when working with enterprise, you learn more breadth and depth.

The problem is that you are not understand that you don't understand.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
post #53 of 181
I don't see big fuss about raid0 in home PC. You're not gaining real world performance with. You're not doing extreme computations or writing extreme size files 24/7. Only field with SSD's in raid0 I could think is code writers and architects. Rendering huge files/codes/drawings, but they wouldn't risk it like that and would have raid10 instead.
I don't see anyone wanting to come home from work to a failed raid0 due to raid card malfunction or corrupted windows because of the brownout... just to gain 1 sec in synthetic benchmark and 0.1 seconds in loading screen...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Igor View Post

I know about RAID 0 enough to set up one
You should stop here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdgig View Post

Who Moderates the Moderators? , if it was anyone else there would have been a BANNING but I suppose there has to be a reason for the Ho , after the duck .
All imo of course ...

You didn't get banned... even after direct insult... your assumptions are as wrong as first spot in this thread smile.gif
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
post #54 of 181
runs 2 x SSD in Raid0, loads game instantly.. waits another 30 seconds for internet server to find slot..





fail. just like this thread.
Edited by Pip Boy - 4/20/14 at 1:34am
post #55 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

Raid controller in form of a PCI card or on-board does not make difference. It is exactly the same, just different form factors. Well almost, on-board raid controller is limited vs external raid controller.
Spreading lies about what? All the information is freely and widely available on the internet...
Just a question, what do you mean by "raid 0 fields"?
You won't see many posts about failed raid 0 because of simple fact that it is used less than trash bin by smokers smile.gif
Simple fact is that home PC's do not come with disks in raid. Simply because home home PC's don't need that, you're not running oracle server with 1000 clients at home, but you won't see raid 0 either wink.gif

Maybe weird scenario with live replica of the server, but I wouldn't agree to set-up thing like that smile.gif

I am not opposing you either, no need to be so hostile... I'm not siding with you either tho. I think it's viable, but useless and adds risk factor that is mitigated by not doing that... Like crossing highway by foot... You can do that, 10, 100, 1000, times... but why risk being smeared on tarmac on your 1001 time if you can avoid it all together?

In bold , Ha Ha Ha now I feel ripped off , millions and millions of pc boards around the world have a bios which has raid , the many sata ports for raid , and the controllers added in is just for nothing going by your logic , , and I guess in your logic around the world every pc should have only 1 internal port and 1 hdd , ever .

Could you please email the whole world and let them know that they are idiots and ripping everyone off by adding in those components , then we will all get cheaper Mother-Boards too boot ! (pun included) , then I can sell my spare disc and make a down payment on a dedicated Raid card I reckon ...

Trivia > I used to work in a "Hospital" with a special department in it , normally they are called ward 7 or ward 3 , I tell everyone this as I see the same symptom developing that very very easily spread amongst the inpatients like a virus , , they already had the virus before they got in but when one puts a few together or a few get together especially willingly the virus feeds on itself and self propagates further to enhance itself , medication was just a waste of space , just like the inhabitants , but as you can see I goes in and goes out freely . That ward is associated with the Moon , but a lot of persons do not like the real name of it , Luna_y
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM 960T X4 Black Edition GA-990FXA 2 HD6950 XFIRE Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO RAID0 H80 WIN7 64 bit ACER V223H 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 1200 WATT Razer Mamba 2012 wireless Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM 960T X4 Black Edition GA-990FXA 2 HD6950 XFIRE Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO RAID0 H80 WIN7 64 bit ACER V223H 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 1200 WATT Razer Mamba 2012 wireless Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
post #56 of 181
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

Raid controller in form of a PCI card or on-board does not make difference. It is exactly the same, just different form factors. Well almost, on-board raid controller is limited vs external raid controller.
Spreading lies about what? All the information is freely and widely available on the internet...
Just a question, what do you mean by "raid 0 fields"?
You won't see many posts about failed raid 0 because of simple fact that it is used less than trash bin by smokers smile.gif
Simple fact is that home PC's do not come with disks in raid. Simply because home home PC's don't need that, you're not running oracle server with 1000 clients at home, but you won't see raid 0 either wink.gif

Maybe weird scenario with live replica of the server, but I wouldn't agree to set-up thing like that smile.gif

I am not opposing you either, no need to be so hostile... I'm not siding with you either tho. I think it's viable, but useless and adds risk factor that is mitigated by not doing that... Like crossing highway by foot... You can do that, 10, 100, 1000, times... but why risk being smeared on tarmac on your 1001 time if you can avoid it all together?
Sorry man but as OP I distance my self in this thread from anything that is unknown to me and from anything that is unreliable.I don't care about RAID cards and I don't care about unreliable SSD,like OCZ ,early Corsair and Kingston .I never spoke about them and they are just not subject of this thread.There is a lot of reliable SSD so we don't have to include mention one.
If you want you can open thread where you spoke about RAID cards and OCZ,believe me I will not include because I don't know anything about it and I don't care.
post #57 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdgig View Post

In bold , Ha Ha Ha now I feel ripped off , millions and millions of pc boards around the world have a bios which has raid , the many sata ports for raid , and the controllers added in is just for nothing going by your logic , , and I guess in your logic around the world every pc should have only 1 internal port and 1 hdd , ever .

Could you please email the whole world and let them know that they are idiots and ripping everyone off by adding in those components , then we will all get cheaper Mother-Boards too boot ! (pun included) , then I can sell my spare disc and make a down payment on a dedicated Raid card I reckon ...

Trivia > I used to work in a "Hospital" with a special department in it , normally they are called ward 7 or ward 3 , I tell everyone this as I see the same symptom developing that very very easily spread amongst the inpatients like a virus , , they already had the virus before they got in but when one puts a few together or a few get together especially willingly the virus feeds on itself and self propagates further to enhance itself , medication was just a waste of space , just like the inhabitants , but as you can see I goes in and goes out freely . That ward is associated with the Moon , but a lot of persons do not like the real name of it , Luna_y

Firstly, your insult is immature and just outright rude.
Secondly, he's right. Have you ever seen a PC at the shop (and I'm talking regular stores, not PC specialists) advertised as coming with Raid? Let alone Raid0? I highly doubt it. Why? Because almost no one needs/ cares for it. And those that do have probably built their own PC to begin with.

I'm also curious as to how him saying those computers don't come set up with Raid also mean that the extra sata ports are useless or that the manufacturers are ripping the whole world off? For the love of me, I'm struggling to understand where you pulled the majority of your comments from. smile.gif

Edit: I'm sorry, but reading through this thread is pretty disappointing. The amount of insulting and just outright rude attitude towards people who disagree with you is nothing short of poor form.
Edited by Vakten - 4/20/14 at 4:42am
post #58 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakten View Post

Firstly, your insult is immature and just outright rude.
Secondly, he's right. Have you ever seen a PC at the shop (and I'm talking regular stores, not PC specialists) advertised as coming with Raid? Let alone Raid0? I highly doubt it. Why? Because almost no one needs/ cares for it. And those that do have probably built their own PC to begin with.

I'm also curious as to how him saying those computers don't come set up with Raid also mean that the extra sata ports are useless or that the manufacturers are ripping the whole world off? For the love of me, I'm struggling to understand where you pulled the majority of your comments from. smile.gif

You have a opinion , just like the other I quoted , whether you find it immature and outright rude is your opinion .

I can not help you if you cannot read into the rest but it appears that one can read something of it .. A PC from the shop that is fully functional and capable with raid but just not setup ! , and also as one has deliberately left out the Bios and controller in your concerns in which seems a bit selective imo ...

I say we're ripped off! , , , or is that the others ?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM 960T X4 Black Edition GA-990FXA 2 HD6950 XFIRE Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO RAID0 H80 WIN7 64 bit ACER V223H 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 1200 WATT Razer Mamba 2012 wireless Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM 960T X4 Black Edition GA-990FXA 2 HD6950 XFIRE Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO RAID0 H80 WIN7 64 bit ACER V223H 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 1200 WATT Razer Mamba 2012 wireless Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
post #59 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Igor View Post

Like Croosfire and SLI and like overclock CPU and like 32GB of memory and like Watercooling and like mod cases and like RAID 0 you will see them only in special PC shops,but are not we here on overclock.net.
Apparently some people think we not.And those people should find site called - onlyrealworldbenefit.com
I agree with that .I start thread to reach for the truth to reach for "REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE" and see where we are now.
Four of four said they never had problem and failure of RAID controller .DuckieHo saw that and he didn't like it.Why?How knows.Forum moderator take this thread to completely other way ,nice moderator.
From first subject of this thread which is:Should we help or discourage people that want to set up RAID array.
I really don't know why is so hard for some people to understand subject of this thread.
We came to :is there real world benefit in RAID?
Like I said 10 times till now,if you don't know do you need RAID then you definitely don't need it.If you seeking help to set up one then you will get that help because this is overclock.net
Even if I had only once in this three year advantage in RAID it was worth, because I had 0 disadvantage.

I just make comment , I see vakten saw the poor form and apologised but there was no need to apologise imo vakten and you made some actual valid points too , no dramas from me .

Other comment is I have noticed your comments too over the months now and then Unit Igor , and you say what you type but the main idea of what you say/type is "Do what you like its a hobby!" and sometimes fun and sometimes not , look at those poor people trying to get 1 or 2 or 3 FPS out of a game , but its their fun and I am not one to say its a waste of time as I tried it once or twice and then learnt , but its the hobby of it all , same goes for a extra 100mhz on cpu and the big list goes on and on .

So I be backing off from here before I get smacked on hand with ruler by mod , but believe it or not I'm really good person until I see sick stuff as OCN is also a hobby .

Hobby > > "What one does when there is nothing better to do" . imo of course

But last comment is , the Duckho , see him/her in Sean Websters Raid thread telling him its a waste of time? http://www.overclock.net/t/1227670/how-to-set-up-raid/0_20 and/or that he be deliberately instructing falsehoods? , no not yet and it is why I suggest that you are being deliberately targeted for malicious reasons unknown to me , and by a Mod ! and cronies .

So by by from me as soon big game come out and I be very busy ... thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM 960T X4 Black Edition GA-990FXA 2 HD6950 XFIRE Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO RAID0 H80 WIN7 64 bit ACER V223H 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 1200 WATT Razer Mamba 2012 wireless Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM 960T X4 Black Edition GA-990FXA 2 HD6950 XFIRE Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO RAID0 H80 WIN7 64 bit ACER V223H 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 1200 WATT Razer Mamba 2012 wireless Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
post #60 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Igor View Post

Like Croosfire and SLI and like overclock CPU and like 32GB of memory and like Watercooling and like mod cases and like RAID 0 you will see them only in special PC shops,but are not we here on overclock.net.
Apparently some people think we not.And those people should find site called - onlyrealworldbenefit.com
I agree with that .I start thread to reach for the truth to reach for "REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE" and see where we are now.
Four of four said they never had problem and failure of RAID controller .DuckieHo saw that and he didn't like it.Why?How knows.Forum moderator take this thread to completely other way ,nice moderator.
From first subject of this thread which is:Should we help or discourage people that want to set up RAID array.
I really don't know why is so hard for some people to understand subject of this thread.
We came to :is there real world benefit in RAID?
Like I said 10 times till now,if you don't know do you need RAID then you definitely don't need it.If you seeking help to set up one then you will get that help because this is overclock.net
Even if I had only once in this three year advantage in RAID it was worth, because I had 0 disadvantage.


Again, as I stated I had plenty of raid setups and decided the increased risk of failure was not worth no increase in performance outside of e-peen in benchmarks.

just because you choose to ignore the increased risk of failure doesn't mean it isn't there.
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SSD RAID 0 failure