Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Better than Noctua NF-F12's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Better than Noctua NF-F12's?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Good afternoon all,

I'm on the hunt for better fans for my AIO water cooler that came with my fx-9590. From my research, this cooler is essentially a Antec Kuhler 920.

With the stock fans, the cooler performed pretty well with the major downside being shear vacuum like noise at full speed. I've since replaced both fans in the push/pull configuration with Noctua NF-F12'S.

While I'm pleasantly surprised by how much quieter they are (though they do make an odd noise at full rpm pushing through the rad) they are NOT performing as well as the stock fans.

Now I understand sacrificing some performance for noise, but it seems like I'm getting almost 5*c hotter temps on load, which I didn't think would happen since the NF-F12's are fairly highly rated.

I don't mind slightly more noise then the NF-F12's IF it gets me back some performance without being vacuum loud.

Now my temps are not concerning per se, but they are closer to the limit then I'd like, with temps hitting 56*c after a few hour gaming session when the max is 62*c for a FX based cpu. With summer coming up this does become a bit worrying for me.

My case has excellent air flow and my 290x is the reference blower type so I can't improve much there.

Thanks for any help and the cost of fans isn't a huge concern if they are worth it! biggrin.gif
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 14
http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/fans-the-most-complete-and-comprehensive-array-of-tests-and-benchmarks

This may help.
post #3 of 14
noctua fans aren't what you want for radiator fans
http://martinsliquidlab.org/category/fans/

gentle typhoon take the cake across the board for a reason biggrin.gifthumb.gif
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

noctua fans aren't what you want for radiator fans
http://martinsliquidlab.org/category/fans/

gentle typhoon take the cake across the board for a reason biggrin.gifthumb.gif

I've got to disagree Hulk - they are awesome for radiators.

In fact for the noise levels they are the best available. Which is not to say they are the best performers (they aren't) The OP's assessment is accurate - you do sacrifice some performance.

I would suggest swapping out the two pull fans for GTs, but since they are EOL, I'm going to say Cougars.

Also - are you sucking air into your case though the rad, or exhausting it out through the rad?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihglah View Post

I've got to disagree Hulk - they are awesome for radiators.

In fact for the noise levels they are the best available. Which is not to say they are the best performers (they aren't) The OP's assessment is accurate - you do sacrifice some performance.

I would suggest swapping out the two pull fans for GTs, but since they are EOL, I'm going to say Cougars.

Also - are you sucking air into your case though the rad, or exhausting it out through the rad?

they can be still be good fans...
but if you look at the fan design you can see they are not optimized for radiators. the air doesn't go where you need it, which is why they get outperformed a lot biggrin.gif
Edited by INCREDIBLEHULK - 4/21/14 at 5:35pm
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #6 of 14
Both my personal PC's have banks of Noc F12's and three custom builds for others have used Noc F12's. I'm very satisfied with the combination of noise and cooling performance. I can find fans that cool better and I can find fans that are even quieter, but not both at the same time. YMMV
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post

Both my personal PC's have banks of Noc F12's and three custom builds for others have used Noc F12's. I'm very satisfied with the combination of noise and cooling performance. I can find fans that cool better and I can find fans that are even quieter, but not both at the same time. YMMV

GT AP's cool better and at lower noise levels which is why I linked the martin's review

don't take my word as "fan boy" status, theres been tests done, martin has went in depth for reviews on things like these. Gentle Typhoon is cream of the crop, you will not find a fan more optimized for radiator with the low noise, nice sound, and performance they have thumb.gif
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

GT AP's cool better and at lower noise levels which is why I linked the martin's review

don't take my word as "fan boy" status, theres been tests done, martin has went in depth for reviews on things like these. Gentle Typhoon is cream of the crop, you will not find a fan more optimized for radiator with the low noise, nice sound, and performance they have thumb.gif

^ This.

There are no other fans that offer a better balance of performance vs noise on a rad than Gentle Typhoons.

Martin's 50 fan-on-rad shootout (the closer the fan's curve is to the bottom right corner, the better):

Martin's 50 fan-on-rad shootout
Full size image link
Edited by Unicr0nhunter - 4/22/14 at 10:59am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

GT AP's cool better and at lower noise levels which is why I linked the martin's review

don't take my word as "fan boy" status, theres been tests done, martin has went in depth for reviews on things like these. Gentle Typhoon is cream of the crop, you will not find a fan more optimized for radiator with the low noise, nice sound, and performance they have thumb.gif

My personal "ear meter" disagrees, like I said YMMV, everyone hears differently and are irritated by a different sound frequency. Using all the online reviews is great but nothing beats personal comparison in the same setup.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post

My personal "ear meter" disagrees, like I said YMMV, everyone hears differently and are irritated by a different sound frequency. Using all the online reviews is great but nothing beats personal comparison in the same setup.

That's like saying your ears hear 20dB more than 30dB.

If you say your personal "ear meter" thinks a car is louder than a truck, then to each is own.

There really is no argument, noctuas are louder than gentle typhoon in any comparison you will do. Which means your opinion really has no use if you don't own any gentle typhoon fans biggrin.gif because if you did you would never say such a thing
  
Reply
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Better than Noctua NF-F12's?