Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CG] Lucasfilm Declares All Star Wars Games Non-Canon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CG] Lucasfilm Declares All Star Wars Games Non-Canon - Page 12

post #111 of 181
#1 worst thing that Lucas ever did was mention the word Mediclorians.

This is #2. Would like to see the Rouge Squadron books remain canon, mostly because Wedge is awesome as he goes on to be the fighter pilot that Luke could have been if he hadn't gone to start the Jedi Academy, etc.
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #112 of 181
Disney flexed its muscle quickly.
post #113 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

As much as SW and it's universe ect. meant/means to me, I am over it.

I was over it when:

- Lucas sold it to Disney
- Disney shut down LucasArts
- EA got exclusive rights to all future SW games
- The Clone Wars was canceled prematurely

RIP

I'm sorry but, no.

Lucas selling it to Disney was the best thing that could have ever happened.

<~ Someone who has actually HEARD Lucas go on a rant @ Bioware over a lightsaber color. Actually, rant is an understatement...He lost his MIND over a shade of green.

Lucas is loathed throughout the industry for a reason...Cannon is ONLY what's seen in his mind.

LucasArts wasn't shut down, it was consolidated...It still exists.

EA got rights to the vast majority of SW games, not all -- In fact, SWTOR maintains a license for the next decade + as do the 3/4 currently in developement.

Clone wars had a legitimate issue.

--

Look, I'm a HUGE star wars fan...Worked on SWTOR...Have a friend that's a sound guy at LucasArts...They're all still there...It's just not called LucasArts anymore...

Lucas was a bane to his own creation...Cannon was only what existed in his mind.

So this announcement is not only nothing new...It just proves that Disney wants to do things there way rather than having some looney run around declaring everything is void.

There's a hard line between brilliant and crazy and IMO, Lucas went cray-cray a few years ago, folks.
post #114 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

I don't quite understand the idea that if something is not canon it's suddenly "crap/pointless/useless/etc.".

The games / books / comics are still the exact same as before. Only thing that's going to happen is that the new movies wont be taking the EU works into account.

I mean all of this stuff is fiction, why does it actually matter if X is officially "canon" or not? Does that somehow take the enjoyment out of the EU material?



Yes...

So you're not reading what some of us wrote? Guess not.

This stuff was important to us. Maybe it still is, maybe (like me) some will abandon the franchise and it's properties entirely now. Who knows.

But what people area apparently not getting is that in the Star Wars Universe, there is no time travel and discontinuity, no quantum wormholes to allow parallel universes to exist and give this a way to happen and not BREAK things...

This means it's all gone, and that's sad to some of us.

Call us sad if you want, call us depressing little men with problems, but this is sad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post

So let me get this straight....Timothy Zahn's books are no longer canon, but Coruscant was only called the capitol world until he named it. Then Lucas used the name in Ep1 because it was canon. That means that the name both is and isn't canon. It's Schroedinger's Planet. doh.gif

As for referring to the new 'trilogy' or episodes 7-9, it'll be more like episodes 7-N, where N is a number at such point that they stop making money on new movies due to public boredom and disinterest.



Amazing, you thought of this too? One of my buddies I called and talked to about this gave rise to this notion while we were talking. He was almost in tear too... I'm not quite that bad off over this news, but still... rolleyes.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntfly02 View Post

They have no idea how many fans are going to be mad. There are over a hundred books that we consider canon. Characters people have grown with to an extent. Also the plethora of story content they have to utilize if they keep some of the book series as canon. From Disney's perspective this opens things up for them to make any stories they want and dont have to worry about anything before it.



There are a LOT more than that, my man.

I own a little less than 3/5ths of the available printed material in circulation now, and I have over 500 novels and a total of more than 900 works in print alone, including e-book onlys.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Majentrix View Post

It's almost as if people aren't reading the article.
EU is now its own canon, that as an "alternate" universe exists with episodes 1-6. New stories that exist in the EU will still be released, but will fall under the "legacy" banner, which is the new term for EU Canon.



Which is not possible because as I stated above there is no in-universe mechanic or device to allow for a "parallel universe", so all of the diehards will totally discredit that option because there is no way for it to have "occurred" and therefore allow this Legacy canon to exist.
If the novels (for example) are not still C-canon, the are nothing, and this is how they are treating the material, whether they try to or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I'm sorry but, no.

Lucas selling it to Disney was the best thing that could have ever happened.

<~ Someone who has actually HEARD Lucas go on a rant @ Bioware over a lightsaber color. Actually, rant is an understatement...He lost his MIND over a shade of green.

Lucas is loathed throughout the industry for a reason...Cannon is ONLY what's seen in his mind.

LucasArts wasn't shut down, it was consolidated...It still exists.

EA got rights to the vast majority of SW games, not all -- In fact, SWTOR maintains a license for the next decade + as do the 3/4 currently in developement.

Clone wars had a legitimate issue.

--

Look, I'm a HUGE star wars fan...Worked on SWTOR...Have a friend that's a sound guy at LucasArts...They're all still there...It's just not called LucasArts anymore...

Lucas was a bane to his own creation...Cannon was only what existed in his mind.

So this announcement is not only nothing new...It just proves that Disney wants to do things there way rather than having some looney run around declaring everything is void.

There's a hard line between brilliant and crazy and IMO, Lucas went cray-cray a few years ago, folks.



Do I need to link the Old LF canon doctrine again?

There was such thing, set forth, and regardless of GL's mental state or capicity to tie his shoes, this is still a GIANT MIDDLE FINGER to the "old guard" fans, period, end of story.

Speak of devils to destroy, I have a 4-barrister collection of SW books to put on Ebay this weekend!





Thanks - T
Edited by Thrasher1016 - 4/29/14 at 6:44am
post #115 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher1016 View Post

Do I need to link the Old LF canon doctrine again?

There was such thing, set forth, and regardless of GL's mental state or capicity to tie his shoes, this is still a GIANT MIDDLE FINGER to the "old guard" fans, period, end of story.

Speak of devils to destroy, I have a 4-barrister collection of SW books to put on Ebay this weekend!

Thanks - T

I've read the books. Watched clone wars. Have pretty much every SW game out there and worked on SWTOR.

I am a HUGE SW fan. Very big on the Sith. Could literally have an in depth conversation about the Sith code, rule of two, Revan, Malak etc...

It really kind of sucks for it to be officially declared non-cannon...But, it is what it is.

Lucas DESTROYED, in it's entirety, the franchise because he had a very specific, directed vision.

That vision was life. If you didn't conform, he either started a confrontation until you did or, you didn't exist in that space, in that capacity, anymore.

He was a toxic plague to his own creation. Anyone who's worked will him will call him brilliant but, CRAZY, there's a reason for that.

So this isn't really surprising...Especially since a new company has taken over the "universe".

That being said, to sit there and fault Disney is a joke...It's crap...Disney is the BEST THING to ever happen to Star Wars and will prove that in time...

Let them build the universe how they need to in order to fix a crazy man's mistakes.

Again, HUGE Sith fan but, there are tremendous gaps especially between the first purge and the mandalorian wars that have never been vetted...Especially Nihilus...If we want this to live on, someone has to do it right and they have to start somewhere...It just is what it is.
post #116 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I've read the books. Watched clone wars. Have pretty much every SW game out there and worked on SWTOR.

I am a HUGE SW fan. Very big on the Sith. Could literally have an in depth conversation about the Sith code, rule of two, Revan, Malak etc...

It really kind of sucks for it to be officially declared non-cannon...But, it is what it is.

Lucas DESTROYED, in it's entirety, the franchise because he had a very specific, directed vision.

That vision was life. If you didn't conform, he either started a confrontation until you did or, you didn't exist in that space, in that capacity, anymore.

He was a toxic plague to his own creation. Anyone who's worked will him will call him brilliant but, CRAZY, there's a reason for that.

So this isn't really surprising...Especially since a new company has taken over the "universe".

That being said, to sit there and fault Disney is a joke...It's crap...Disney is the BEST THING to ever happen to Star Wars and will prove that in time...

Let them build the universe how they need to in order to fix a crazy man's mistakes.

Again, HUGE Sith fan but, there are tremendous gaps especially between the first purge and the mandalorian wars that have never been vetted...Especially Nihilus...If we want this to live on, someone has to do it right and they have to start somewhere...It just is what it is.



No, it's not at all surprising, and no, I don't blame Disney.
Primarily because on of their favorite ways to build their guest relations and expand their experiences (READ: make piles of money Scrooge McDuck would be jealous of) is to destroy the old and build the new in it's place.

My mother was the 75th "regular" cast member hired before the EPCOT park opened, to work there. I know what I'm about to say is a rigid fact in the Disney workld because she told me millions of times.

Disney had old rides (at EPCOT) that were old fashioned in places, and they took them out and put in new faces to headline the rides, new physical attractions, and the like, to modernize it, much like Disney is setting up for with the SW intellectual property.

"Oh, but it wouldn't appeal to a younger audience anymore, with all that old stuff there, so they did the right thing!"

Sure, to THEM and for THEIR reasons they did, and I know I'm arguing the consumer vs. company argument here, and what we think really doesn't matter in the long run...

...OH WAIT, except it was our money that bought all those books, action figures, stat books, etc. from them and made them a profit.

And you make the argument that "...someone has to do it right and they have to start somewhere..."???

So they're going to start right where there's already a history, stories, legends, ships, people, planets, races, animals, plants, battles, treaties, and new and old memories, just because they don't want to be hampered by the old information and want their writers to have a clean slate.

Awesome.

Again, I have three suits of Mandalorian armor and 900 books to sell.




Thanks - T
post #117 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher1016 View Post

And you make the argument that "...someone has to do it right and they have to start somewhere..."???

So they're going to start right where there's already a history, stories, legends, ships, people, planets, races, animals, plants, battles, treaties, and new and old memories, just because they don't want to be hampered by the old information and want their writers to have a clean slate.

Thanks - T

You're a business owner.

You buy a company.

That company is half way through a game. It's a HUGE empire.

The owner of that company has crapped all over the game.

The empire is so big, there's literally no where to start a new product because there's already something in place, everywhere.

You're a businessman, you want to make money...What do you do?

It's not an argument...It's a fact of life...A fact of business. It had to happen.

Clearly you don't like that it happened, nor do I but, per business, it had to happen.

What else could they have done? Created an entirely new galaxy completely separate from this one?

Like I said, it is what it is...I know/understand how Disney does business but, Disney is literally better than Lucas was...At least for the last 30 odd years.
post #118 of 181
Yeah, like I said, the logic is sound, the business acumen to reach that inevitable decision was well-apportioned across whatever board did the thinktanking on it, and Disney had every right.

doesn't mean they won't lose potentially millions of fans..........

And like my house, a whole household, not just one jaded young adult with memories, but the financial controller in the household that decides that CW won't come on the TV, and no one will go see the movies, buy the products, support the franchise in any way, etc.

They'll make it all back in a day, I'm sure, all "million" of us jaded fans' boycott money, but I don't think I care.

I think I care about turning my back more than bending to a reality that leaves no room for the old.





Thanks - T
post #119 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher1016 View Post

Yeah, like I said, the logic is sound, the business acumen to reach that inevitable decision was well-apportioned across whatever board did the thinktanking on it, and Disney had every right.

doesn't mean they won't lose potentially millions of fans..........

And like my house, a whole household, not just one jaded young adult with memories, but the financial controller in the household that decides that CW won't come on the TV, and no one will go see the movies, buy the products, support the franchise in any way, etc.

They'll make it all back in a day, I'm sure, all "million" of us jaded fans' boycott money, but I don't think I care.

I think I care about turning my back more than bending to a reality that leaves no room for the old.

Thanks - T

I completely agree with you but, I'm of the belief that Disney is the lesser evil.

Look at what Lucas did to SWTOR. That alone throws up SO MANY reg flags it's crazy.

I'm jaded but, I also see the light...There's a silver lining...And that lining is that Lucas is out.

Will they create new cannon? Absolutely. Will it be just as good? Who knows, really...The clone wars has some damned good story lines, though...

We'll have to see...Is ultimately what it boils down to.

Hopefully it'll be worth it...If it's not, maybe the Rebels will join the Empire. thumb.gif
post #120 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I'm sorry but, no.

Lucas selling it to Disney was the best thing that could have ever happened.

<~ Someone who has actually HEARD Lucas go on a rant @ Bioware over a lightsaber color. Actually, rant is an understatement...He lost his MIND over a shade of green.

Lucas is loathed throughout the industry for a reason...Cannon is ONLY what's seen in his mind.

LucasArts wasn't shut down, it was consolidated...It still exists.

EA got rights to the vast majority of SW games, not all -- In fact, SWTOR maintains a license for the next decade + as do the 3/4 currently in developement.

Clone wars had a legitimate issue.

--

Look, I'm a HUGE star wars fan...Worked on SWTOR...Have a friend that's a sound guy at LucasArts...They're all still there...It's just not called LucasArts anymore...

Lucas was a bane to his own creation...Cannon was only what existed in his mind.

So this announcement is not only nothing new...It just proves that Disney wants to do things there way rather than having some looney run around declaring everything is void.

There's a hard line between brilliant and crazy and IMO, Lucas went cray-cray a few years ago, folks.

Worked on SWTOR? I want my life back I failed like 4 units at university because I was addicted to that game. Haha was the most amazing mmorpg I've played in a long time. Went a bit cray-cray toward the end for me but none the less fond memories.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CG] Lucasfilm Declares All Star Wars Games Non-Canon