Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Fan extension cable - soldered vs crimped?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fan extension cable - soldered vs crimped?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am shopping for cabling components and I see for fan extensions there seem to be two choices for the male end of the cable.

Lutro0 on the one hand has the hooded connectors with male crimps but MDPC and all my local UK stores have the non-hooded, soldered blocks that seem to me to be more for PCB mounting.

Given that locally I seem to be limited to the soldered type, how would you advise going about using these for making tidy and robust fan extensions? Am I missing something obvious about them?
post #2 of 16
There is a video somewhere on youtube with a great method for soldering those cleanly, but for the life of me I can't find it any more. Basically, you use a blob of plasticine to hold it in place. You want a good amount of solder and pre-tin the wire. You need to insulate each wire with tiny heatshrink and then put regular heatshrink to cover them all.

Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks - I wondered how they were intended to be used. Mine will be the 4-pin PWM variety.

I suppose the alternative was to cut and extend with an inline soldered join and a fresh crimp to a female connector on the other end.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Will MDPC Small heatshrink be small enough or do I have to find a source of tiny HS since these will be individual wires in fan cables?
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post

Will MDPC Small heatshrink be small enough or do I have to find a source of tiny HS since these will be individual wires in fan cables?

You need the tiny stuff. I was able to pick some up from local ironmongers (hardware store I mean). But if you can't find any, then I suppose you can use electrical tape cut small, and then big heatshrink over the top of that.
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
I have found a mail-order shop in the UK that does a broad range of HS sizes at a range of shrink ratios so I should be able to find one, thanks. They do 4-core ribbon cable which will make good extensions that match what was used on the fans too.

Thanks for the tips folks.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post

I am shopping for cabling components and I see for fan extensions there seem to be two choices for the male end of the cable.

Lutro0 on the one hand has the hooded connectors with male crimps but MDPC and all my local UK stores have the non-hooded, soldered blocks that seem to me to be more for PCB mounting.

Given that locally I seem to be limited to the soldered type, how would you advise going about using these for making tidy and robust fan extensions? Am I missing something obvious about them?

If its not to late I believe e22.biz has the same connectors I sell. Also our shipping to the uk should not be too much but I understand waiting can suck.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
I have actually shopped with E22 the week before last but am waiting for dispatch because he was out of stock of a lot of the minor items until this weekend.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post

I have actually shopped with E22 the week before last but am waiting for dispatch because he was out of stock of a lot of the minor items until this weekend.

Aha, thanks for bumping the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

There is a video somewhere on youtube with a great method for soldering those cleanly, but for the life of me I can't find it any more. Basically, you use a blob of plasticine to hold it in place. You want a good amount of solder and pre-tin the wire. You need to insulate each wire with tiny heatshrink and then put regular heatshrink to cover them all.

I found that video again the other day when I was making an extension for my new PSU fan.




Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
now show us how to make a y cable with these connector !
X7900D
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
X7900D
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Fan extension cable - soldered vs crimped?