Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Got some questions.. Is my rig OC'ed to the max?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Got some questions.. Is my rig OC'ed to the max?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi,

First of all, this is what's inside the rig.

AMD FX-4300 Black Edition. 3.8GHz original ((Currently - 4.62GHz))
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB (DUAL-X, OC Edition) OC'ed to 1100MHz core with a VDDC at 1.240v
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AMD3+
650w PSU from coolermaster
CPU FAN - Hyper Evo 212

So.. Im running 4.62GHz atm, with 1.440 VCORE, it's stable enough. I havent really tested it for real yet. Tho, I can play BF4 without crashes. I have tested it with Prime95 for 20min without errors.
But the thing is, the temperatures isnt really concerning me, and im shocked that it is so low regarding my OC.. Does this means that I can OC it further? Because it would be cool to get up to 5GHz ^^

7min in prime95, the VRMs get around 62 degrees, the CPU never raises above 60, nothing except the VRM get's over 60 degrees celsius.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD Radeon R9 270X Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair  Samsung 840 Evo Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Sapphire DUAL-X GPU 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung HD LED-LCD 21,5'' Cooler Master G650M Zalman Z11 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD Radeon R9 270X Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair  Samsung 840 Evo Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Sapphire DUAL-X GPU 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung HD LED-LCD 21,5'' Cooler Master G650M Zalman Z11 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
60c is already very close to the max recommended temp for AMD CPUs (62c). You don't have much headroom.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrThatGuy View Post

60c is already very close to the max recommended temp for AMD CPUs (62c). You don't have much headroom.

Njaaayeah... I can't tell you're wrong, because those numbers are correct, but I dont agree to that point. But according to me, that low number (62) is just a safe-shot from AMD IMO. I even had a laptop with a AMD CPU, and it was 101 degrees celsius when playing WoW.. And that sucker is almost 8 years old.

I got a heads up from another forum, that they think my VCORE might be abit high. Do you guys think that too? Im not the boss at OC'ing, I can admit that, so maybe I have done something wrong etc.

I have increased the CPU FSB just a bit, maybe 5 values up, the rest I leave it to the multiplier. Then I just increase the VCORE, nothing else. Am I on the moon and biking?

Btw, does sabertooth 990FX R2.0 automatic shutdown if a component get's way too hot? And regarding VCORE temperature, at what values should I begin to worrie?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD Radeon R9 270X Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair  Samsung 840 Evo Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Sapphire DUAL-X GPU 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung HD LED-LCD 21,5'' Cooler Master G650M Zalman Z11 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD Radeon R9 270X Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair  Samsung 840 Evo Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Sapphire DUAL-X GPU 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung HD LED-LCD 21,5'' Cooler Master G650M Zalman Z11 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanthor View Post

Njaaayeah... I can't tell you're wrong, because those numbers are correct, but I dont agree to that point. But according to me, that low number (62) is just a safe-shot from AMD IMO. I even had a laptop with a AMD CPU, and it was 101 degrees celsius when playing WoW.. And that sucker is almost 8 years old.

I got a heads up from another forum, that they think my VCORE might be abit high. Do you guys think that too? Im not the boss at OC'ing, I can admit that, so maybe I have done something wrong etc.

I have increased the CPU FSB just a bit, maybe 5 values up, the rest I leave it to the multiplier. Then I just increase the VCORE, nothing else. Am I on the moon and biking?

Btw, does sabertooth 990FX R2.0 automatic shutdown if a component get's way too hot? And regarding VCORE temperature, at what values should I begin to worrie?

Laptop CPUs have different heat thresholds than desktop CPUs. They are designed for higher temperatures because laptops have much higher internal temperatures. If you want to risk going past the AMD recommended heat envelope, that's up to you. Just know that high levels of sustained heat add more wear to your components. It's why many people claim overclocking damages components. (It's not the overclocking, but the unmanaged heat)

There are thermal limits for the board, but I'm pretty sure the individual parts have their own thermal checks and the individual components send error codes and shutdown.
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanthor View Post

Btw, does sabertooth 990FX R2.0 automatic shutdown if a component get's way too hot? And regarding VCORE temperature, at what values should I begin to worrie?

No, the motherboard will run the components until they melt or burst into flame.
AMD CPUs will shut down if they reach their thermal limits. About 62°c.

As for volts, they can destroy a CPU in between the time the excessive voltage is applied and the CPU protects itself by shutting down. But that would be something over 1.55v.

There's also a phenomenon called Electron Migration that , with excessive(?) voltage, causes the electrical pathways in the CPU to degrade. This degradation causes the CPU to run hotter, until eventually it will overheat no matter what the voltage is that is applied to it.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Okej, thanks for every answer! smile.gif I'll try to decrease my cpu voltage untill it get's unstable. My rig has never shutted down, except for BSODS when gaming due to unstable GPU, but that has been fixed..

Or well, I had some BSODS regarding win32k.sys and like, cdd.dll.. Is that about the CPU? Do you think I can have a stable 5GHz clock, is that possible? Cuz it would have been awesome ^^
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD Radeon R9 270X Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair  Samsung 840 Evo Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Sapphire DUAL-X GPU 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung HD LED-LCD 21,5'' Cooler Master G650M Zalman Z11 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD Radeon R9 270X Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair  Samsung 840 Evo Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Sapphire DUAL-X GPU 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung HD LED-LCD 21,5'' Cooler Master G650M Zalman Z11 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Not sure personally if you can get 5 short of extreme cooling, but it's worth a shot as long as you don't overvolt too hard. tongue.gif

If you're looking to go further... start saving up for water cooling, in my opinion, or learn how to lap the CPU/cooler. You've got a great OC but the temps are up there and you may not have a huge amount of room left to wiggle from what I've seen.
T-1
(19 items)
 
T-1X
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 MSI R6570-MD1G/LP Radeon HD 6570 G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1066 4 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD Lightscribe DVD-RW Logisys AC2200 3x APEVIA 120mm Blue LED Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Debian Jessie eMachines E211H B Compaq G80-11800 Logisys 480W PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA X-DMR4-NW-BK Dynex Optical Mouse Insignia Mouse Pad ASUS Xonar_DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card 
AudioOtherOther
Rocketfish Stereo Headset XIGMATEK 3.5" Internal 75 in 1 Card Reader nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD-B Media Center Programmable LCD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 950 G.Skill 16GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB HDD Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD LG Blu-Ray Burner Stock (For Now) 
OSOSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro Ubuntu 15.10 Thermaltake 450W 80+ Gold Apevia X-QPACK3-WHT 
Audio
ASUS Xonar_DG 
  hide details  
Reply
T-1
(19 items)
 
T-1X
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 MSI R6570-MD1G/LP Radeon HD 6570 G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1066 4 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD Lightscribe DVD-RW Logisys AC2200 3x APEVIA 120mm Blue LED Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Debian Jessie eMachines E211H B Compaq G80-11800 Logisys 480W PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA X-DMR4-NW-BK Dynex Optical Mouse Insignia Mouse Pad ASUS Xonar_DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card 
AudioOtherOther
Rocketfish Stereo Headset XIGMATEK 3.5" Internal 75 in 1 Card Reader nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD-B Media Center Programmable LCD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 950 G.Skill 16GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB HDD Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD LG Blu-Ray Burner Stock (For Now) 
OSOSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro Ubuntu 15.10 Thermaltake 450W 80+ Gold Apevia X-QPACK3-WHT 
Audio
ASUS Xonar_DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

No, the motherboard will run the components until they melt or burst into flame.
AMD CPUs will shut down if they reach their thermal limits. About 62°c.

As for volts, they can destroy a CPU in between the time the excessive voltage is applied and the CPU protects itself by shutting down. But that would be something over 1.55v.

There's also a phenomenon called Electron Migration that , with excessive(?) voltage, causes the electrical pathways in the CPU to degrade. This degradation causes the CPU to run hotter, until eventually it will overheat no matter what the voltage is that is applied to it.

62C is the recommended maximum Tcase temp, Operating above this temp may shorten the life of the cpu. AMD FX Tcasemax is 90C and the silicon adhesive is rated to 97C. These temps are from the AMD engineering people. Depending on motherboard you may start to see throttling around 70C and shutdown at 90C.
post #9 of 13
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanthor View Post

Hi,

First of all, this is what's inside the rig.

AMD FX-4300 Black Edition. 3.8GHz original ((Currently - 4.62GHz))
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB (DUAL-X, OC Edition) OC'ed to 1100MHz core with a VDDC at 1.240v
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AMD3+
650w PSU from coolermaster
CPU FAN - Hyper Evo 212

So.. Im running 4.62GHz atm, with 1.440 VCORE, it's stable enough. I havent really tested it for real yet. Tho, I can play BF4 without crashes. I have tested it with Prime95 for 20min without errors.
But the thing is, the temperatures isnt really concerning me, and im shocked that it is so low regarding my OC.. Does this means that I can OC it further? Because it would be cool to get up to 5GHz ^^

7min in prime95, the VRMs get around 62 degrees, the CPU never raises above 60, nothing except the VRM get's over 60 degrees celsius.
If your vrms get past 60C, having a fan blowing onto it can decreace the tempertuare to room temps or near room temps.

For a amd FX CPU wihout cpu temps being at 66C maximum during more than 1 hour of stress test, we could say its not pushed to the max.

Not every CPU can do 5GHZ. It takes luck and it may require water cooling or even extreme cooling like phase change or peltiers
If the chip is bad. Its impossible to hit 5GHZ with prime stable even with 10Copper radators 360MM water chill.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalistoval View Post

Exaggerated nonsense.

Totally agree....5mhz is achievable with just an AIO ....(at least with FX 8 core)
Edited by Mike The Owl - 1/25/16 at 6:57am
Mike the Owl
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex Plus R2 Corsair H80i Windows 8.1 Samsung 24 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PARTHICA Gaming Keyboard Powercool X-Viper 750W Power Supply 80 Plus Bronze Coolermaster Haf 922 CM Storm 
  hide details  
Reply
Mike the Owl
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex Plus R2 Corsair H80i Windows 8.1 Samsung 24 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PARTHICA Gaming Keyboard Powercool X-Viper 750W Power Supply 80 Plus Bronze Coolermaster Haf 922 CM Storm 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Got some questions.. Is my rig OC'ed to the max?