Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Official] NZXT Kraken G10 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NZXT Kraken G10 Owner's Club - Page 545

post #5441 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL900 View Post

Two-fan cooler is always better than one wink.gif

yes of course but blower coolers have always been single fan. The benefit is hot air doesn't flow into the case but rather gets exhausted through the rear. There's no harm for sure if manufacturers should one day decide to slip in a 2nd fan into blower coolers though.

Given the choice, i take a blower cooler cos of its looks and it also keeps the pcb shielded from any possible damage.

Since one has a reference card, it would be logical to get a aio fitted with a shroud.

for non-ref, usually it comes with heatsinks on vrms so G10 will be suitable.

There's no real need to cool the vrams. Again, no harm if one puts heatsinks or fans on it. But it's not necessary. Just like fans on HDD/SSD isn't a must.

The G10 isn't a bad product. A lot of folks criticise it cos they mainly come from the AMD Ref side, which uses thermal pads from the shroud the cool the vrms on the right and the left. I think NZXT could have done better in putting more info on those cards.

If anyone had tried the G10 on a non ref 290, most likely they would have noticed heatsinks on the vrms and cooling would never be a problem.

In short, if u have a ref AMD, use the HG10 for less hassle. If u insist on the G10, fit the heatsinks on the vrms.
post #5442 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypoison25 View Post

60c on load seems a bit high

Really? I think that, for using a 120mm Radiator only they aren't that bad, are they?. Here, the room temp is an average of 28-30 degree. Humidity is also high. And specifically this card, maybe because of my PC Case, or maybe because of the silicon lottery, was getting about 80º to 85º degrees with the stock cooler and no Overclock... so, going down to a max of 60º, with 1500-1550Mhz overcloking for me is, not perfect, but much much better.

Anyway, thanks for the advise and the warning. I'll do more research.thumb.gif
post #5443 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by trento View Post

yes of course but blower coolers have always been single fan. The benefit is hot air doesn't flow into the case but rather gets exhausted through the rear. There's no harm for sure if manufacturers should one day decide to slip in a 2nd fan into blower coolers though.

Given the choice, i take a blower cooler cos of its looks and it also keeps the pcb shielded from any possible damage.

Since one has a reference card, it would be logical to get a aio fitted with a shroud.

for non-ref, usually it comes with heatsinks on vrms so G10 will be suitable.

There's no real need to cool the vrams. Again, no harm if one puts heatsinks or fans on it. But it's not necessary. Just like fans on HDD/SSD isn't a must.

The G10 isn't a bad product. A lot of folks criticise it cos they mainly come from the AMD Ref side, which uses thermal pads from the shroud the cool the vrms on the right and the left. I think NZXT could have done better in putting more info on those cards.

If anyone had tried the G10 on a non ref 290, most likely they would have noticed heatsinks on the vrms and cooling would never be a problem.

In short, if u have a ref AMD, use the HG10 for less hassle. If u insist on the G10, fit the heatsinks on the vrms.

A $5 heat sink for the VRMS on the GPU versions that do not have VRMS attached to the PCB vs the cooler is not a big deal in the slightest. I do not get the two fan argument being made. What does that have to do with anything here? The reference "hybrid" AIO kits have a fan cooling the vrms and a radiator and fan cooling the GPU die, just like the H-10 does. The heat exhausted from the shroud from the vrms is trivial compared to the amount of heat removed at the radiator. The shroud does little more than make it look nicer. Maybe add some lights.
   
Work Rig
(22 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-6850K 4.5 GHz  ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99 LGA2011-V3  Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB 3000MHz HyperX Savage DDR4  Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD  Samsung 256GB SM951 M.2 SSD PCIe 3.0 x 4 (PE246... WD 3TB Black SATA 6Gbs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 ICY DOCK DuoSwap MB971SP-B Fits 5.25" Bay allo... LG WH14NS40 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
CPU - Corsair Hydro H110  GPU x 2 - Nzxt G-10 x 2 + Corsair H-90 x 2  Lamptron FC-5 V2 Fan Controller 4 Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Fans on the radia... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LINUX KXStudio AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor BENQ GW2250 +1 Monitor Easymountlcd Triple Monitor Stand (002-0019) Homemade Extension and vesa mount for +1 Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Top - CM Storm QuickFire TK (Red) Bottom - CM ... EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 - 80 Plus Gold Corsair Carbide Series 400R Cooler Master Storm Inferno 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Top of the Desk TUF Onboard Audio Cyber Acoustics Platinum CA-3550 Logitech H390 Headset 
OtherOtherOtherOther
ASUS Wi-Fi PCI Express Adapter/400 upto 800 Mbp... Tripp Lite Isobar Supressor CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD 900 Watt Pure Sinewave UPS Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick 
Other
upHere (3.5 inch Bay)Multi Function Card Reader... 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Work Rig
(22 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-6850K 4.5 GHz  ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99 LGA2011-V3  Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB 3000MHz HyperX Savage DDR4  Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD  Samsung 256GB SM951 M.2 SSD PCIe 3.0 x 4 (PE246... WD 3TB Black SATA 6Gbs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 ICY DOCK DuoSwap MB971SP-B Fits 5.25" Bay allo... LG WH14NS40 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
CPU - Corsair Hydro H110  GPU x 2 - Nzxt G-10 x 2 + Corsair H-90 x 2  Lamptron FC-5 V2 Fan Controller 4 Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Fans on the radia... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LINUX KXStudio AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor BENQ GW2250 +1 Monitor Easymountlcd Triple Monitor Stand (002-0019) Homemade Extension and vesa mount for +1 Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Top - CM Storm QuickFire TK (Red) Bottom - CM ... EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 - 80 Plus Gold Corsair Carbide Series 400R Cooler Master Storm Inferno 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Top of the Desk TUF Onboard Audio Cyber Acoustics Platinum CA-3550 Logitech H390 Headset 
OtherOtherOtherOther
ASUS Wi-Fi PCI Express Adapter/400 upto 800 Mbp... Tripp Lite Isobar Supressor CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD 900 Watt Pure Sinewave UPS Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick 
Other
upHere (3.5 inch Bay)Multi Function Card Reader... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5444 of 6464
Look nicer xD
post #5445 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

A $5 heat sink for the VRMS on the GPU versions that do not have VRMS attached to the PCB vs the cooler is not a big deal in the slightest. I do not get the two fan argument being made. What does that have to do with anything here? The reference "hybrid" AIO kits have a fan cooling the vrms and a radiator and fan cooling the GPU die, just like the H-10 does. The heat exhausted from the shroud from the vrms is trivial compared to the amount of heat removed at the radiator. The shroud does little more than make it look nicer. Maybe add some lights.

It's more specific to reference R9 290 as it has a vrm on the other side which is not cooled by either a heatsink or thermal tape. Also note it does not have heatsinks even on the vrms. The HG10 mimics the reference set up exactly by having thermal tape in the same places. The only difference is it does not cover the pcb's front unlike the reference shroud.

Yes, the fan should be sufficient to cool the vrms on the fan side, even without heatsinks. The problem lies with the other side where the air doesn't quite get there and the G10 leaves the vrm exposed. So many users of the 290 experience incredibly high temp on that vrm and blow the card, especially for those who game under heavy loads.

The HG10 while not entirely great, manages the problem with that vrm well enough with its thermal tape. So it's probably the best solution for ref 290 at the moment.

This video explains it well enough. Refer to the 15:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSK4M0FIs7M
post #5446 of 6464
My kraken and GM200 has only a fan on the power supply section and is devoid of limits TPD and it comes in a year. Temperatures are lower than the cooling air on this section because it blows cold air through the radiator ing. Therefore, I do not know what so excites this section xD
post #5447 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by trento View Post

It's more specific to reference R9 290 as it has a vrm on the other side which is not cooled by either a heatsink or thermal tape. Also note it does not have heatsinks even on the vrms. The HG10 mimics the reference set up exactly by having thermal tape in the same places. The only difference is it does not cover the pcb's front unlike the reference shroud.

Yes, the fan should be sufficient to cool the vrms on the fan side, even without heatsinks. The problem lies with the other side where the air doesn't quite get there and the G10 leaves the vrm exposed. So many users of the 290 experience incredibly high temp on that vrm and blow the card, especially for those who game under heavy loads.

The HG10 while not entirely great, manages the problem with that vrm well enough with its thermal tape. So it's probably the best solution for ref 290 at the moment.

This video explains it well enough. Refer to the 15:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSK4M0FIs7M

Its been made E X T R E M E L Y clear to anyone who has ever asked about the G-10 mod that the VRMs require a heatsink and airflow. I have not installed this mod on any 290s but that first sentence is made clear throughout this thread. People with GTX 970s had to make arrangements for a fan on the output side of the die. Heatsink plus fan and no problems on both my 970s. I do acknowledge the power subsystem on the 290 gets extremely hot. Common sense would dictate to make sure there is enough airflow. Also, several 290 owners, directly ignored people telling them they needed to do so because they didnt want to take the time. But it all can be addressed with either system
   
Work Rig
(22 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-6850K 4.5 GHz  ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99 LGA2011-V3  Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB 3000MHz HyperX Savage DDR4  Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD  Samsung 256GB SM951 M.2 SSD PCIe 3.0 x 4 (PE246... WD 3TB Black SATA 6Gbs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 ICY DOCK DuoSwap MB971SP-B Fits 5.25" Bay allo... LG WH14NS40 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
CPU - Corsair Hydro H110  GPU x 2 - Nzxt G-10 x 2 + Corsair H-90 x 2  Lamptron FC-5 V2 Fan Controller 4 Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Fans on the radia... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LINUX KXStudio AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor BENQ GW2250 +1 Monitor Easymountlcd Triple Monitor Stand (002-0019) Homemade Extension and vesa mount for +1 Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Top - CM Storm QuickFire TK (Red) Bottom - CM ... EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 - 80 Plus Gold Corsair Carbide Series 400R Cooler Master Storm Inferno 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Top of the Desk TUF Onboard Audio Cyber Acoustics Platinum CA-3550 Logitech H390 Headset 
OtherOtherOtherOther
ASUS Wi-Fi PCI Express Adapter/400 upto 800 Mbp... Tripp Lite Isobar Supressor CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD 900 Watt Pure Sinewave UPS Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick 
Other
upHere (3.5 inch Bay)Multi Function Card Reader... 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Work Rig
(22 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-6850K 4.5 GHz  ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99 LGA2011-V3  Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core Asus STRIX GTX 980 ~1600 Core 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB 3000MHz HyperX Savage DDR4  Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD  Samsung 256GB SM951 M.2 SSD PCIe 3.0 x 4 (PE246... WD 3TB Black SATA 6Gbs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 WD 4TB Red in RAID 1 ICY DOCK DuoSwap MB971SP-B Fits 5.25" Bay allo... LG WH14NS40 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
CPU - Corsair Hydro H110  GPU x 2 - Nzxt G-10 x 2 + Corsair H-90 x 2  Lamptron FC-5 V2 Fan Controller 4 Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Fans on the radia... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LINUX KXStudio AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
AOC i2769Vm 27-Inch Screen IPS Monitor BENQ GW2250 +1 Monitor Easymountlcd Triple Monitor Stand (002-0019) Homemade Extension and vesa mount for +1 Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Top - CM Storm QuickFire TK (Red) Bottom - CM ... EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 - 80 Plus Gold Corsair Carbide Series 400R Cooler Master Storm Inferno 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Top of the Desk TUF Onboard Audio Cyber Acoustics Platinum CA-3550 Logitech H390 Headset 
OtherOtherOtherOther
ASUS Wi-Fi PCI Express Adapter/400 upto 800 Mbp... Tripp Lite Isobar Supressor CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD 900 Watt Pure Sinewave UPS Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick 
Other
upHere (3.5 inch Bay)Multi Function Card Reader... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5448 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

Its been made E X T R E M E L Y clear to anyone who has ever asked about the G-10 mod that the VRMs require a heatsink and airflow. I have not installed this mod on any 290s but that first sentence is made clear throughout this thread. People with GTX 970s had to make arrangements for a fan on the output side of the die. Heatsink plus fan and no problems on both my 970s. I do acknowledge the power subsystem on the 290 gets extremely hot. Common sense would dictate to make sure there is enough airflow. Also, several 290 owners, directly ignored people telling them they needed to do so because they didnt want to take the time. But it all can be addressed with either system

other than this forum, the NZXT G10 site gives the impression that vrm heatsinks are not needed unless overclocking. I suppose most 290 owners referred to it instead of info here. In fact I recall the G10 site actually stated vrm heatsinks were not needed at all but i think they've since changed the info after numerous complaints.

I think a fan on the output side is not necessary as shown in the HG10. it only runs a single fan with thermal tape covering all vrms.
post #5449 of 6464
Hey guys. I just bought some mini heatsink to use with my Kraken G10 (http://www.inline-info.com/en/coolers-fans/gpu-chip-ram-coolers/8022/inline-ram-heat-sink-self-adhesive-cooling-fins-8-pcs.).. now, my question is: do i simply put them by removing the non-adhesive layer? (the adhesive layer is probably just some tape glue, anything "thermal", might be wrong though).
Don't really want to burn out a gpu trying to cool down the vram on it tongue.gif
Thanks everyone smile.gif
post #5450 of 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoz View Post

1080FE is compatible with Kraken G10



Hey man, can you give a link for those heatsinks? Why did you not choose copper? How did you attach them? Using thermal tape, or they come with their own glue?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Official] NZXT Kraken G10 Owner's Club