Well put it this way. I bought the $90 deluxe edition for the bonuses but never played the game after launch. I played beta for ~25 hours and enjoyed it, but it was very buggy and only a few weeks until release. Since release they have had some major issues which is why I've "waited" to jump on board and spend my time in it.
1) There was a dupe bug, that rendered the economy and many items pointless. I am not sure if they ever fixed the damage it caused.
2) Even in the beta areas, there are still many broken quests and bugs. I've seen and heard stories about higher level zones being much worse, typical reason why MMOs fail.
3) I see far more negative than positive, mainly due to bugs, which means it will probably go F2P with a cash shop.
4) As it is, I expect them to spend a year fixing the current game before really adding anything major... unless they have different teams doing each.
5) They gave out 5 additional days of free time because customers we're unhappy with the launch issues and overall bugginess of the game.
Honestly it's too early to tell, but it's leaning towards F2P. It'll be very successful as F2P, assuming it follows the GW2 cash shop motto. However, as Bethesda stated, F2P with a cosmetic cash shop won't allow them to crank out content as fast. Here's the most recent patch, and look how many quest-breaking bugs it fixes: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/95370/patch-notes-v1-0-8Edited by Murlocke - 5/15/14 at 11:01am