Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 656

Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?

 
  • 10% (50)
    More than 1 year
  • 4% (24)
    More than 2 years
  • 8% (41)
    More than 3 years
  • 10% (53)
    More than 4 years
  • 23% (113)
    More than 5 years
  • 42% (206)
    More than 6 years
487 Total Votes  
post #6551 of 13091
it was before the motherboard was replaced.

I cannot even reinstall windows as the PC just resets.

Going to pull ram, video card and pus from lounge PC to try
post #6552 of 13091
If Linux isn't booting either then probably something's going on at the hardware level. Linux boot is pretty verbose with the appropriate flags set (if the bootloader is Grub2 remove 'quiet' and add 'nosplash debug --verbose')....what's happening right before it locks/reboots?
Edited by innatetech - 11/3/15 at 4:48am
post #6553 of 13091
Yea that is what I thought too.

I will need to check when I am back at home.. it is as the 2nd line flicks down to the third that it restarts. Even debug mode and linux memtest resets it.

I tried three sticks of ram (2x 4gb, 1x 2gb, always as single stick on board, and also with different slots. I updated Bios to the latests available on ASUS's website. Have also unplugged all but PSU, GFX, single ram, and waterblock pump (kraken x61).

I will try the bootloader command prompt, thank you.

Are there any other troubleshooting ideas I should try?
post #6554 of 13091
If memtest is failing, then memory seems like a good place to start troubleshooting. Both the sticks themselves and the related BIOS settings. Maybe check to see what your timings are and try setting them manually to the manufacturer's profiles. You might try slowing them down a bit, or playing with the voltages.

In other news, I found a shrinkwrapped Shuttle SX58J3 for $150, so it looks like my i7 920, GTX770 and 4GB DIMMs have found themselves a new home. biggrin.gif
Edited by innatetech - 11/3/15 at 6:39pm
post #6555 of 13091
anyone have any suggestions for a x5660 cooler? i currently have a hyper 212 but i'm not sure if I should replace it for when my cpu comes in, since ill have to take it off anyways. ill attempt to overclock it, but not sure if the 212 is any good.
post #6556 of 13091
The 212 should be good up to 4.4Ghz as long as you don't need more than 1.4v vcore. You will need the fan running at full speed. I had a Hyper 212 Plus and it worked fine until I got the X5690, then I needed something a little better to run it at 4.6Ghz. The H80i I have didn't really do any better with the stock fans, I swapped them to something with more CFM and it's been working good.
post #6557 of 13091
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblue View Post

anyone have any suggestions for a x5660 cooler? i currently have a hyper 212 but i'm not sure if I should replace it for when my cpu comes in, since ill have to take it off anyways. ill attempt to overclock it, but not sure if the 212 is any good.

You'll be okay for 4Ghz. I'm using a Hyper 212+ in push-pull with my X5675 and I could go as high as 4.2Ghz but the temps got too high (>80C) to run it more than an hour, so I backed it off to 4Ghz. Its sits around 75-76C at load now. My case is ancient so it doesn't have great airflow. I modded it to add an 120mm intake, and it has a 90mm exhaust. On my X5660 setup I am using a Zalman 10x Performa in push-pull which is similar to that 212+ I'd say. I am able to keep the X5660 at 4.2Ghz around 65C at load but I got 1 120mm Jetflow and 1 120mm Corsair SP120 pushing air in, and a Jetflow and SP120 pushing air out. Top speed they are rated over 70cfs, at least for the JetFlos. I chose the SP120s for their static pressure because they sit behind obstructions. It was much worse with the old fans in there that did maybe 30-40cfs. I am using a fan controller too, so they are only set to 3/4 speed.

TLDR, air flow helps a lot too. Personally, I like the 212+, they are a decent cooler for very little money. I own 3, lol. Obviously, they can't hold a candle to a closed loop.

EDIT: I agree with what xxpenguinxx said. What I said above was from my personal experience.
Edited by spdaimon - 11/4/15 at 6:45am
post #6558 of 13091
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdaimon View Post

You'll be okay for 4Ghz. I'm using a Hyper 212+ in push-pull with my X5675 and I could go as high as 4.2Ghz but the temps got too high (>80C) to run it more than an hour, so I backed it off to 4Ghz. Its sits around 75-76C at load now. My case is ancient so it doesn't have great airflow. I modded it to add an 120mm intake, and it has a 90mm exhaust. On my X5660 setup I am using a Zalman 10x Performa in push-pull which is similar to that 212+ I'd say. I am able to keep the X5660 at 4.2Ghz around 65C at load but I got 1 120mm Jetflow and 1 120mm Corsair SP120 pushing air in, and a Jetflow and SP120 pushing air out. Top speed they are rated over 70cfs, at least for the JetFlos. I chose the SP120s for their static pressure because they sit behind obstructions. It was much worse with the old fans in there that did maybe 30-40cfs. I am using a fan controller too, so they are only set to 3/4 speed.

TLDR, air flow helps a lot too. Personally, I like the 212+, they are a decent cooler for very little money. I own 3, lol. Obviously, they can't hold a candle to a closed loop.

EDIT: I agree with what xxpenguinxx said. What I said above was from my personal experience.


my current stock i7 920 runs at around 55c max with the 212, and I have a haf 923 which has a bunch of fans in it, and the fan maxes out at about 800 rpm... my cpu fan broke and I ran the 920 at 100c for several months :|


it comes in saturday so i guess ill see then if i want a better cooler or not.
post #6559 of 13091
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblue View Post

my current stock i7 920 runs at around 55c max with the 212, and I have a haf 923 which has a bunch of fans in it, and the fan maxes out at about 800 rpm... my cpu fan broke and I ran the 920 at 100c for several months :|


it comes in saturday so i guess ill see then if i want a better cooler or not.
I would rig up case fans and sacrifice case airflow before I would run the chip that hot
NEWBIE
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320e Asus Sabertooth R2.0 xfx r9 290 xfx r9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill rip jaws  Samsung 840 Pro WD BLUE 64MB Cache Ocz vertex 3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech h220x  alphacool nexxos st30 280mm radiator alphacool coolplex pro LT10 100mm reservoir Swiftech h220 rad only 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit ENTERPRISE edition Acer 23" 1080p  asus 19" Dell Media Center  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Photon 1200W Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G5 or Steel Series MW2 edition Generic Cheapy 
AudioAudioAudio
GEMINI HSR-1000 Logitech 5.1 surround ZALMAN clip on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
NEWBIE
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320e Asus Sabertooth R2.0 xfx r9 290 xfx r9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill rip jaws  Samsung 840 Pro WD BLUE 64MB Cache Ocz vertex 3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech h220x  alphacool nexxos st30 280mm radiator alphacool coolplex pro LT10 100mm reservoir Swiftech h220 rad only 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit ENTERPRISE edition Acer 23" 1080p  asus 19" Dell Media Center  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Photon 1200W Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G5 or Steel Series MW2 edition Generic Cheapy 
AudioAudioAudio
GEMINI HSR-1000 Logitech 5.1 surround ZALMAN clip on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6560 of 13091
just couldn't fight the itch... Had to get some more speed. After some careful tinkering I came up with this. My next stop is to see how low i can get the voltages at this speed stable.




I love that these things hold their own against the 6700k. CPUZ bench comparison
4.51 ghz... 2055 mhz memory 50c full load temps are awesome





Idles at 24-25
ROGBeast RIP
(16 items)
 
- X58 Xeon Club -
(22 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3680 asus ramage iii extreme Galaxy GTX 780 Hall of Fame Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x Samsung 850 evo raid 0 raptor 10k blueray something EK Supremecy Evo 
CoolingMonitorMonitorKeyboard
EK 780-FC HOF asus pg279 Asus pg279 Corsair Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master V1200 Platinum  Corsair Carbide 760T Corsair Scimitar Sound Blaster 3D recon 
  hide details  
Reply
ROGBeast RIP
(16 items)
 
- X58 Xeon Club -
(22 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3680 asus ramage iii extreme Galaxy GTX 780 Hall of Fame Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x Samsung 850 evo raid 0 raptor 10k blueray something EK Supremecy Evo 
CoolingMonitorMonitorKeyboard
EK 780-FC HOF asus pg279 Asus pg279 Corsair Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master V1200 Platinum  Corsair Carbide 760T Corsair Scimitar Sound Blaster 3D recon 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -