Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 693

Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?

 
  • 10% (49)
    More than 1 year
  • 5% (24)
    More than 2 years
  • 8% (41)
    More than 3 years
  • 11% (53)
    More than 4 years
  • 23% (113)
    More than 5 years
  • 41% (200)
    More than 6 years
480 Total Votes  
post #6921 of 12869
Sorry really noobie question, but does x58 motherboards (Sabertooth in particular) support large 4tb+ drives?

I'm planning to replace a few smaller drives and I can't see anything in the manual one way or the other.

Ps Windows 7 x64 if that makes any difference.
Edited by KimonoNoNo - 1/27/16 at 8:24am
post #6922 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimonoNoNo View Post

Sorry really noobie question, but does x58 motherboards (Sabertooth in particular) support large 4tb+ drives?

I'm planning to replace a few smaller drives and I can't see anything in the manual one way or the other.

Ps Windows 7 x64 if that makes any difference.


No experience of a "large" drive on my Sabertooth, however, I did experience issues with a 3Tb drive and a Rampage II extreme.

The only way I could get the full 3tb to work was configure SATA as RAID, this enables the Intel drivers to take control and make all 3Tb usable.

Someone else may be able to give a better explanation!
Triggers Brush
(18 items)
 
Pheonix
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5930K Rampage V Extreme POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz RAM/Mem... 2x Corsair 120GB Force GT SSD 2x Corsair Neutron Series™ XT 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/... 4x HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" 7K1000 SATA 3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256GB 950 PRO Series M.2 NVME PCIE SSD LG GGC-H20L Custom EK loop (1x3x120, 1x3x140) Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Iiyama ProLite E2607WS Sony Bravia KD-49X8005C Corsair AX1200i Corsair Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case 
OtherOther
Corsair Link Commander Mini Corsair Commander Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5640 (SLBVC) Asus SABERTOOTH X58 GTX750-DCSL-2GD5 Corsair Vengeance® 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 Mem... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Corsair Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Noctua NH-D9L (+ NM-I3 SecuFirm2™ Mounting-Kit) Windows 10 64 Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s 
PowerCaseOther
RMi Series™ RM650i - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Cer... Streacom F12C Streacom FLIRC 
  hide details  
Reply
Triggers Brush
(18 items)
 
Pheonix
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5930K Rampage V Extreme POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz RAM/Mem... 2x Corsair 120GB Force GT SSD 2x Corsair Neutron Series™ XT 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/... 4x HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" 7K1000 SATA 3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256GB 950 PRO Series M.2 NVME PCIE SSD LG GGC-H20L Custom EK loop (1x3x120, 1x3x140) Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Iiyama ProLite E2607WS Sony Bravia KD-49X8005C Corsair AX1200i Corsair Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case 
OtherOther
Corsair Link Commander Mini Corsair Commander Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5640 (SLBVC) Asus SABERTOOTH X58 GTX750-DCSL-2GD5 Corsair Vengeance® 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 Mem... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Corsair Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Noctua NH-D9L (+ NM-I3 SecuFirm2™ Mounting-Kit) Windows 10 64 Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s 
PowerCaseOther
RMi Series™ RM650i - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Cer... Streacom F12C Streacom FLIRC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6923 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipJones View Post

No experience of a "large" drive on my Sabertooth, however, I did experience issues with a 3Tb drive and a Rampage II extreme.

The only way I could get the full 3tb to work was configure SATA as RAID, this enables the Intel drivers to take control and make all 3Tb usable.

Someone else may be able to give a better explanation!

I found my source ...

Link

"Intel ICH10R controller will support it if you use RAID SATA mode and Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver 10.5. Actually, version 10.1 was the first version to allow higher than 2.2TB in single drive in RAID mode. 10.5 allowed multi drive RAID size over 2.2TB. You must also use the GPT format and be using the drive as a non-bootable data drive. You can install a single hard drive in RAID mode. IRST replaces the older Intel Matrix Storage Manager."

Oh, and there's this too, for Windows 7!

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Disk_Unlocker/
Edited by PipJones - 1/27/16 at 11:40am
Triggers Brush
(18 items)
 
Pheonix
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5930K Rampage V Extreme POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz RAM/Mem... 2x Corsair 120GB Force GT SSD 2x Corsair Neutron Series™ XT 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/... 4x HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" 7K1000 SATA 3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256GB 950 PRO Series M.2 NVME PCIE SSD LG GGC-H20L Custom EK loop (1x3x120, 1x3x140) Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Iiyama ProLite E2607WS Sony Bravia KD-49X8005C Corsair AX1200i Corsair Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case 
OtherOther
Corsair Link Commander Mini Corsair Commander Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5640 (SLBVC) Asus SABERTOOTH X58 GTX750-DCSL-2GD5 Corsair Vengeance® 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 Mem... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Corsair Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Noctua NH-D9L (+ NM-I3 SecuFirm2™ Mounting-Kit) Windows 10 64 Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s 
PowerCaseOther
RMi Series™ RM650i - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Cer... Streacom F12C Streacom FLIRC 
  hide details  
Reply
Triggers Brush
(18 items)
 
Pheonix
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5930K Rampage V Extreme POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz RAM/Mem... 2x Corsair 120GB Force GT SSD 2x Corsair Neutron Series™ XT 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/... 4x HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" 7K1000 SATA 3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256GB 950 PRO Series M.2 NVME PCIE SSD LG GGC-H20L Custom EK loop (1x3x120, 1x3x140) Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Iiyama ProLite E2607WS Sony Bravia KD-49X8005C Corsair AX1200i Corsair Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case 
OtherOther
Corsair Link Commander Mini Corsair Commander Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5640 (SLBVC) Asus SABERTOOTH X58 GTX750-DCSL-2GD5 Corsair Vengeance® 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 Mem... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Corsair Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Noctua NH-D9L (+ NM-I3 SecuFirm2™ Mounting-Kit) Windows 10 64 Force Series™ 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s 
PowerCaseOther
RMi Series™ RM650i - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Cer... Streacom F12C Streacom FLIRC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6924 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipJones View Post

I found my source ...

Link

"Intel ICH10R controller will support it if you use RAID SATA mode and Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver 10.5. Actually, version 10.1 was the first version to allow higher than 2.2TB in single drive in RAID mode. 10.5 allowed multi drive RAID size over 2.2TB. You must also use the GPT format and be using the drive as a non-bootable data drive. You can install a single hard drive in RAID mode. IRST replaces the older Intel Matrix Storage Manager."

Oh, and there's this too, for Windows 7!

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Disk_Unlocker/
Cheers you're a star.
post #6925 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Hey, i was wondering what cheap x58 e-/atx co.sumer mobos support the e5520?

Most boards should support it, possibly requiring a BIOS update. EVGA boards might require a couple of contacts to be soldered on the motherboard, if its an earlier model. The hard part is finding a "cheap" one. Prices have stayed almost at new board levels for quite a while, but you may find a diamond in the rough.
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon X5670 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Gold 1600, 3x2GB Kingston HyperX 1600, 3x4GB OCZ Vertex 2 240GB WD Black 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Black 1TB Windows 7 Pro x64 Viewsonic VP2770-LED Thermaltake Poseidon MX Brown 
PowerCaseAudio
Seasonic 1000 W Platinum Case Labs M10 Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon X5670 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Gold 1600, 3x2GB Kingston HyperX 1600, 3x4GB OCZ Vertex 2 240GB WD Black 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Black 1TB Windows 7 Pro x64 Viewsonic VP2770-LED Thermaltake Poseidon MX Brown 
PowerCaseAudio
Seasonic 1000 W Platinum Case Labs M10 Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6926 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Hey, i was wondering what cheap x58 e-/atx co.sumer mobos support the e5520?
Pretty much all boards will natively support that cpu. thumb.gif
The Banshee
(23 items)
 
Under the DICE
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASRock X370 Taichi Zotac GTX 780 Ti OC @ 1250/1950MHz 1.212V G.SKILL Trident Z Black/White 2X8GB DDR4-3200 C... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force LS 120GB WD Blue 1TB Phobya UC-2 LT XSPC Razor GTX 780 Ti Waterblock w/ Backplate 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Darkside LP 360mm Radiator Alphacool ST30 240mm Radiator Darkside D5 Vario @ 12V Setting 5 Bitspower Z-Multi 150 Red Reservoir  
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Darkside (TFC) 3/8 ID X 5/8 OD Red UV tubing TFC Black straight barb fittings Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit LG 25UM57-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Challenger  EVGA 1300 G2 Fractal Design Arc XL Evga Torq X3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steel series QCK+ Turtle Beach X12 Logitech G27 
CPUCPUCPUCPU
1150: i7 4770K & G3258 939 & 754: Many Athlon's, Opteron's & Sempron's  775/771: Many C2's, Pentiums, Celerons & Xeons 1366: i7 920 D0 and many 4c & 6c Xeon's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A bunch more Slot 1, S370 & S462/A CPU's. Z87 OC Formula. Plus 30 or so other mobo's. Waaaay too many to list... A table full of SDR, DDR1, DDR2 & DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
500GB WD Caviar Blue  Bartx DICE/LN2 CPU Pot Sub-zero A/C waterchiller (-26C) CM Hyper 212+ (Troubleshooting) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
All of them. ;) Samsung S20B300 Evga SuperNova 850 B2 Homemade wooden test bench 
Mouse
Microsoft comfort mouse 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
The Banshee
(23 items)
 
Under the DICE
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASRock X370 Taichi Zotac GTX 780 Ti OC @ 1250/1950MHz 1.212V G.SKILL Trident Z Black/White 2X8GB DDR4-3200 C... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force LS 120GB WD Blue 1TB Phobya UC-2 LT XSPC Razor GTX 780 Ti Waterblock w/ Backplate 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Darkside LP 360mm Radiator Alphacool ST30 240mm Radiator Darkside D5 Vario @ 12V Setting 5 Bitspower Z-Multi 150 Red Reservoir  
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Darkside (TFC) 3/8 ID X 5/8 OD Red UV tubing TFC Black straight barb fittings Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit LG 25UM57-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Challenger  EVGA 1300 G2 Fractal Design Arc XL Evga Torq X3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steel series QCK+ Turtle Beach X12 Logitech G27 
CPUCPUCPUCPU
1150: i7 4770K & G3258 939 & 754: Many Athlon's, Opteron's & Sempron's  775/771: Many C2's, Pentiums, Celerons & Xeons 1366: i7 920 D0 and many 4c & 6c Xeon's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A bunch more Slot 1, S370 & S462/A CPU's. Z87 OC Formula. Plus 30 or so other mobo's. Waaaay too many to list... A table full of SDR, DDR1, DDR2 & DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
500GB WD Caviar Blue  Bartx DICE/LN2 CPU Pot Sub-zero A/C waterchiller (-26C) CM Hyper 212+ (Troubleshooting) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
All of them. ;) Samsung S20B300 Evga SuperNova 850 B2 Homemade wooden test bench 
Mouse
Microsoft comfort mouse 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6927 of 12869
post #6928 of 12869
Hi,
I have been thinking of doing some storage upgrades. I have 3 motherboards a asus p6t7 ws, gigabyte ud3r v1 and asus p6t. I have been looking at the Samsung 951 ahci as an boot drive. And something like a Intel 750 or a Samsung 950 as a secondary hard drive.

Is it possible to use any of these on the x58 platform using the extra pcie slots? What new drives works and what do not work?

I am not looking to upgrade my motherboards anytime soon. I bought these back in 2009 and feel like it has a lot of life in them, I am sure a lot of people feel the same way just looking at this amazing thread.
I do not want to buy the drives then find out later that they won't work as a boot drive (951ahci) or an secondary did drives.
Thanks for sharing.
post #6929 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by donedeal19 View Post

Hi,
I have been thinking of doing some storage upgrades. I have 3 motherboards a asus p6t7 ws, gigabyte ud3r v1 and asus p6t. I have been looking at the Samsung 951 ahci as an boot drive. And something like a Intel 750 or a Samsung 950 as a secondary hard drive.

Is it possible to use any of these on the x58 platform using the extra pcie slots? What new drives works and what do not work?

I am not looking to upgrade my motherboards anytime soon. I bought these back in 2009 and feel like it has a lot of life in them, I am sure a lot of people feel the same way just looking at this amazing thread.
I do not want to buy the drives then find out later that they won't work as a boot drive (951ahci) or an secondary did drives.
Thanks for sharing.
I certainly hope that the pcie Samsung can be used as a boot drive, as I've got that exact drive coming to me for a system upgrade I'm putting together.

From what I've gathered as long as you make sure you get a ACHI drive you should be laughing, but if I hit any problems I'm sure to let everybody know about it rolleyes.gif
post #6930 of 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimonoNoNo View Post

I certainly hope that the pcie Samsung can be used as a boot drive, as I've got that exact drive coming to me for a system upgrade I'm putting together.

From what I've gathered as long as you make sure you get a ACHI drive you should be laughing, but if I hit any problems I'm sure to let everybody know about it rolleyes.gif

We discussed this on the EVGA forums under the X58 section and they can't make the bios into a UEFI bios for PCIe drives to boot. Apparently there isn't enough storage to write the info.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 between 4 - 4.4GHz Gigabyte UD7 Rev 2.0 EVGA GTX 1070 FE 2000MHz CL8.8.8.24 1T tRFC 88 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 128Gb OCZ VertexLE 100Gb Megahalems  Windows 10 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Corsair K70  EVGA Supernova T2 1000W Lian Li PC-A20 
MouseAudio
Sidewinder MX5 Creative Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 between 4 - 4.4GHz Gigabyte UD7 Rev 2.0 EVGA GTX 1070 FE 2000MHz CL8.8.8.24 1T tRFC 88 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 128Gb OCZ VertexLE 100Gb Megahalems  Windows 10 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Corsair K70  EVGA Supernova T2 1000W Lian Li PC-A20 
MouseAudio
Sidewinder MX5 Creative Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -