Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 897

Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?

 
  • 10% (52)
    More than 1 year
  • 4% (24)
    More than 2 years
  • 8% (41)
    More than 3 years
  • 10% (54)
    More than 4 years
  • 22% (113)
    More than 5 years
  • 42% (213)
    More than 6 years
497 Total Votes  
post #8961 of 13330
I'll get to CB 15 later on today.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 between 4 - 4.4GHz Gigabyte UD7 Rev 2.0 EVGA GTX 1070 FE 2000MHz CL8.8.8.24 1T tRFC 88 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 128Gb OCZ VertexLE 100Gb Megahalems  Windows 10 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Corsair K70  EVGA Supernova T2 1000W Lian Li PC-A20 
MouseAudio
Sidewinder MX5 Creative Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 between 4 - 4.4GHz Gigabyte UD7 Rev 2.0 EVGA GTX 1070 FE 2000MHz CL8.8.8.24 1T tRFC 88 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 128Gb OCZ VertexLE 100Gb Megahalems  Windows 10 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Corsair K70  EVGA Supernova T2 1000W Lian Li PC-A20 
MouseAudio
Sidewinder MX5 Creative Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8962 of 13330
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCmember View Post

If you ever end up selling those things, let me know wink.gif
I'll probably look to sell them when Skylake-E comes out. Kinda considering going to Skylake instead.
post #8963 of 13330
I finally got my xeon - x58 system up and running, and now it's time for some overclocking. I have a repeat question regarding base clock and multiplier speeds.

I'm going to be shooting for 4.2GHz hopefully, so which is better? -

168 x 25

or

200 x 21

I read that lower base clocks need lower voltages while giving pretty much the same performance, which would be great. Is this true, and are there any other reasons to go one route or the other?

Thanks!
post #8964 of 13330
Higher base clock usually yields better performance, but as you said usually requires higher voltages. It honestly depends on your RAM. If you can run the same timings at 1680 MHz as you can at 1600 MHz, then the lower base clock is probably more appealing if the required voltage is substantially lower.
post #8965 of 13330
Okay cool, I will just have to play with it I guess. The only quick test i have done with my RAM at default 1600MHz and everthing else on auto, it would not boot. Setting it to auto which underclocked it cured the issue.

I've seen others have issues with RAM speeds above 1333MHz, but they seem to resolve when you start overclocking everything else. We shall see.

I will work on the CPU first anyway with the RAM underclocked, then do that last. Also I will make 2 profiles for each base clock method and see which is best.

Hopefully I can hit 4.2GHz, or maybe a bit more! - I don't really want to go above 1.35v though so could be tight!


Edit - also for the uncore, some say to go 2X RAM speed and some 2X +1. Which is better? I guess it's trial and error.
Edited by X584EVA - 8/12/16 at 2:32pm
post #8966 of 13330
So if I wanted to go back and retest 1800MHz at cl8.8.8.21 1T in isolation it would be best to lower the QPI and Core speeds, right?

@gofasterstripes What does the memory bios options change when going from Turbo to Expert?

I'm also retesting the P95 test I failed earlier. P95 v26.6 doing 800K min & 800K maximum, running FFTs in place, and using 3200mb of RAM which according to the sight here says it tests RAM stability. Then I'm going to run Memtest HCI. What I'm finding out is according to that web link my ram is stable back at 1800MHz the only difference is I changed any secondary timings to the timing table on our left, gofaster. I'm setting anything equal to or lower than the SPD timings so basically I've only set the tRC & tRFC to the SPD = 30 & 60 respectively. The rest of the timings on the left are lower and so I'm using them.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 between 4 - 4.4GHz Gigabyte UD7 Rev 2.0 EVGA GTX 1070 FE 2000MHz CL8.8.8.24 1T tRFC 88 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 128Gb OCZ VertexLE 100Gb Megahalems  Windows 10 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Corsair K70  EVGA Supernova T2 1000W Lian Li PC-A20 
MouseAudio
Sidewinder MX5 Creative Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 between 4 - 4.4GHz Gigabyte UD7 Rev 2.0 EVGA GTX 1070 FE 2000MHz CL8.8.8.24 1T tRFC 88 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 128Gb OCZ VertexLE 100Gb Megahalems  Windows 10 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Corsair K70  EVGA Supernova T2 1000W Lian Li PC-A20 
MouseAudio
Sidewinder MX5 Creative Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8967 of 13330
Quote:
Originally Posted by X584EVA View Post

Okay cool, I will just have to play with it I guess. The only quick test i have done with my RAM at default 1600MHz and everthing else on auto, it would not boot. Setting it to auto which underclocked it cured the issue.

I've seen others have issues with RAM speeds above 1333MHz, but they seem to resolve when you start overclocking everything else. We shall see.

I will work on the CPU first anyway with the RAM underclocked, then do that last. Also I will make 2 profiles for each base clock method and see which is best.

Hopefully I can hit 4.2GHz, or maybe a bit more! - I don't really want to go above 1.35v though so could be tight!


Edit - also for the uncore, some say to go 2X RAM speed and some 2X +1. Which is better? I guess it's trial and error.
The issue with RAM is you can't use a multiplier higher than 10x. So at stock clocks, you can't use a multiplier to achieve higher than 1333 MHz. You'll have to overclock your base clock to 160 to get 1600 MHz with the 10x RAM multiplier.
post #8968 of 13330
Quote:
@gofasterstripes What does the memory bios options change when going from Turbo to Expert Extreme?
@OCmember

Secondary timings, the effect was not noticeable, but showed in Memory straming values.
Quote:
timing table on our left
You filled-in the values suggested yourself? If it doesn't work just try those on Auto. It's a black box to me...
post #8969 of 13330
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

The issue with RAM is you can't use a multiplier higher than 10x. So at stock clocks, you can't use a multiplier to achieve higher than 1333 MHz. You'll have to overclock your base clock to 160 to get 1600 MHz with the 10x RAM multiplier.

Ah I see, that explains it. Any thoughts on uncore?
post #8970 of 13330
Quote:
Originally Posted by X584EVA View Post

Ah I see, that explains it. Any thoughts on uncore?
I believe research has shown uncore equal to or greater than double RAM speed resulted in better performance, but it can't exceed 4000 MHz. Uncore can be between 1.5 and 2 times RAM to help achieve RAM speeds over 2000 MHz. I believe high uncore requires more voltage similar to higher base clock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -