Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › The Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club - Page 2110

post #21091 of 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXEDGREENS View Post

It could still be something simple. Post your voltages and ram timings and I bet someone in here can help. I'm far from an expert but I can spot some of the more common timing mistakes considering I've made most of them, lol.

Sigh... I think I'll have to redo everything anyway, but here goes.
Core : 4.8GHz at 1.305V or 4.7GHz at 1.26V
Cache : 42x at 1.2V (44x at 1.18V also works)
VCCIN : 1.95V (SVID turned on, does it even matter?)
IMC : vSA +0.2V (1.016V effective), vIOD +0.125V (1.152V effective), vIOA +0.075V (1.1V effective)
RAM : 1.65V, 1.7V or 1.75V, all three tested
Timings are on the screenie below. tWTR doesn't show, but I've left it on auto (I think it lands somewhere at 6-8)


Thanks for the help dude. smile.gif
post #21092 of 22487
A couple things come to mind. tRFC is supposed to be a specific % of tREFI according to some random whitepaper I read today. 3.333... % Supposedly tREFI works best as a multiple of 16 as well.

Try tREFI 9360 and tRFC 312 then 320.
Your FAW might be a little too tight, too. See if tRRD 6 and tFAW 24 does you any good.

I'm kind of confused as to your RAM strap. Mem TweakIt claims you're using the 1.33 strap (1:9) while HWInfo claims 1.00 (12x memory multi). Supposedly the 1.00 strap is best for stabilizing at higher OCs, so I'd make sure you're using it.

SVID absolutely destroys my stability at higher OCs, but this is a poorly OCing 4690k. It certainly won't hurt you to turn it off and see if anything good happens.

As far as IMC volts go, I'm still just a monkey turning knobs. Can't figure out what IOA does for the life of me. See if things get any better with it turned way down. With loose tertiaries I seem to throw errors with too low an IOA, but the tighter the tertiaries, the less I need. With my current OC, +.008v IOA is the difference between a 6 minute and a 25 minute BSOD.

Other than that, I'd say double check your RTLs/IOLs. With 8gB DIMMs you should see something like channel a rank 1: 4, 41 rank 2: 4, 41 channel b rank 1: 5, 42 rank 2: 5, 42

I'm not sure on the exact #s since they vary by CAS, speed, chip brand, etc, but if they look at all wonky your IMC might be missing training and that will cause errors quickly.

Hope some of this helps.
post #21093 of 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXEDGREENS View Post

A couple things come to mind. tRFC is supposed to be a specific % of tREFI according to some random whitepaper I read today. 3.333... % Supposedly tREFI works best as a multiple of 16 as well.

Try tREFI 9360 and tRFC 312 then 320.
Your FAW might be a little too tight, too. See if tRRD 6 and tFAW 24 does you any good.

I'm kind of confused as to your RAM strap. Mem TweakIt claims you're using the 1.33 strap (1:9) while HWInfo claims 1.00 (12x memory multi). Supposedly the 1.00 strap is best for stabilizing at higher OCs, so I'd make sure you're using it.

SVID absolutely destroys my stability at higher OCs, but this is a poorly OCing 4690k. It certainly won't hurt you to turn it off and see if anything good happens.

As far as IMC volts go, I'm still just a monkey turning knobs. Can't figure out what IOA does for the life of me. See if things get any better with it turned way down. With loose tertiaries I seem to throw errors with too low an IOA, but the tighter the tertiaries, the less I need. With my current OC, +.008v IOA is the difference between a 6 minute and a 25 minute BSOD.

Other than that, I'd say double check your RTLs/IOLs. With 8gB DIMMs you should see something like channel a rank 1: 4, 41 rank 2: 4, 41 channel b rank 1: 5, 42 rank 2: 5, 42

I'm not sure on the exact #s since they vary by CAS, speed, chip brand, etc, but if they look at all wonky your IMC might be missing training and that will cause errors quickly.

Hope some of this helps.

First off, thanks for all your help. Also thanks for being one of the few paranoid enough to bother with stuff like this, like me. biggrin.gifthumb.gif

Now, first thing I did, I checked my RAM ratio and it seems it was running at 133:100 indeed. Changing it to use only 100:100 led to MemTweakIt showing it run at 12x multi. So nice on that. Didn't solve the problem. I then checked my RTLs/IOLs. I know these can get wonky with memory retraining and should have checked earlier, but those seemed fine too (like 4,43,4,44 or something). I also tried loosing my secondary and tertiary timings a bit more. Nada. Problems persisted. I tried cache clocks and voltages at stock. No go. Different values for VCCSA and VIO. Still, nothing. Tried messing with the core a bit, using VCore generously and more than I need to be stable. Nothing. Lower clocks. Nothing.

Then it hit me. Last time my RAM was error-checked and came out clean I used 1.6V VDIMM. Boom, errors are gone. I remember 1.6V giving me an error or two after like 4 hours of testing with HCI, so I bumped to 1.65V and called it a day. Little did I know that I was getting errors at 1.65V too. 1.6V is running as I'm writing, error free, with fully tightened timings, including a 17 tWRRD. These errors I used to get may be due to my probably TOO tight tRRD/tFAW, so I may try loosing those, or I might stop caring too much about one or two errors after 4 hours of testing.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. What the hell is wrong with my RAM that makes it run fine at 1.6V but lose its cool at anything above is beyond me. Thing is, it works. I'd love to hear some theories, though. I'd expect 1.7V to work better. It's not like the DIMMs are overheating or anything.
post #21094 of 22487
Glad you figured it out!

And I wish I knew the answer to the voltage question. OCing RAM makes me want to get a hardware engineering degree.

I've been wasting time futzing around with it all night not really getting anywhere until trying out RRD 5 FAW 20 down from 6 and 24. Changed my magic IOL/RTL pairs from 4/41 4/41 5/42 5/42 to 4/40 4/40 4/41 4/41.

So that's good I guess. Only time will tell, as I'm a mere 12 minutes into my run aaaaaaandddd error
post #21095 of 22487
@tolis626, what happened with your H110 man?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Z97 OC Formula; ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO; G... Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-2GD G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD 1002FAEX 1TB Caviar BLACK (in enclosure) Noctua NH-D15S Corsair H110 2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000/3000 PWM ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Case Fan: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (rear, exhaust) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (front, intake) Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (front, intake) Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 TP KDE Neon Developer Stable HP ZR2440w Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000 Corsair AX760 (Platinum); EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Corsair Air 540 Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
AudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 600 Aquaero 5LT  THRUSTMASTER GPX LIGHTBACK FERRARI F1 GAMEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Z97 OC Formula; ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO; G... Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-2GD G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD 1002FAEX 1TB Caviar BLACK (in enclosure) Noctua NH-D15S Corsair H110 2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000/3000 PWM ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Case Fan: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (rear, exhaust) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (front, intake) Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (front, intake) Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 TP KDE Neon Developer Stable HP ZR2440w Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000 Corsair AX760 (Platinum); EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Corsair Air 540 Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
AudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 600 Aquaero 5LT  THRUSTMASTER GPX LIGHTBACK FERRARI F1 GAMEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21096 of 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostParticle View Post

@tolis626, what happened with your H110 man?

Nothing yet. I haven't returned to my house in the last month and a half. This being my last long summer vacation, I thought I'd make the best of it. biggrin.gif

While I do have my PC with me at my parents' house, I haven't messed with it that much. But when I go home come September, it'll be among the first things I do. I'm kinda scared, to be honest, because if it doesn't come off, I'm screwed. The H110's performance has gone out the window with it not making proper contact with the IHS. 85C during x265 stress test with the CPU running at 1.305V is... Bad. At least for a 280mm rad AIO.

Thanks for asking man, appreciate it. I'll make sure to post what happened once I start messing with it! smile.gif
post #21097 of 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolis626 View Post

Nothing yet. I haven't returned to my house in the last month and a half. This being my last long summer vacation, I thought I'd make the best of it. biggrin.gif

While I do have my PC with me at my parents' house, I haven't messed with it that much. But when I go home come September, it'll be among the first things I do. I'm kinda scared, to be honest, because if it doesn't come off, I'm screwed. The H110's performance has gone out the window with it not making proper contact with the IHS. 85C during x265 stress test with the CPU running at 1.305V is... Bad. At least for a 280mm rad AIO.

Thanks for asking man, appreciate it. I'll make sure to post what happened once I start messing with it! smile.gif

Good Luck and if not, better call Ant-Man!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Z97 OC Formula; ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO; G... Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-2GD G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD 1002FAEX 1TB Caviar BLACK (in enclosure) Noctua NH-D15S Corsair H110 2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000/3000 PWM ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Case Fan: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (rear, exhaust) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (front, intake) Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (front, intake) Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 TP KDE Neon Developer Stable HP ZR2440w Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000 Corsair AX760 (Platinum); EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Corsair Air 540 Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
AudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 600 Aquaero 5LT  THRUSTMASTER GPX LIGHTBACK FERRARI F1 GAMEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Z97 OC Formula; ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO; G... Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-2GD G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD 1002FAEX 1TB Caviar BLACK (in enclosure) Noctua NH-D15S Corsair H110 2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000/3000 PWM ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Case Fan: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (rear, exhaust) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (front, intake) Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (front, intake) Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 TP KDE Neon Developer Stable HP ZR2440w Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000 Corsair AX760 (Platinum); EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Corsair Air 540 Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
AudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 600 Aquaero 5LT  THRUSTMASTER GPX LIGHTBACK FERRARI F1 GAMEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21098 of 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostParticle View Post

Good Luck and if not, better call Ant-Man!

I'm fine with Ant-Man. I just hope I don't need the Hulk. tongue.gif
post #21099 of 22487
Hows it going guys, I just wanted to find out if a i5-4690K will allow a EVGA 1070 to run to its full capability from a cpu standpoint. Thanks in advance for any opinions, Thanks. thumb.gif
Gondolin
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
Gondolin
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #21100 of 22487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingol View Post

Hows it going guys, I just wanted to find out if a i5-4690K will allow a EVGA 1070 to run to its full capability from a cpu standpoint. Thanks in advance for any opinions, Thanks. thumb.gif

That CPU is super powerful still, heck even the sandy is still very capable. They won't bottleneck your gpu, and you can prolong its capability by overclocking it pass the stock boost clock. Unless you play games that are very cpu demanding that really love multi threads (maybe like gta V), then i doubt this cpu will stop your 1070 from going full out. Cheers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › The Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club