Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Highest performing 240/360 radiators for i4790K + 290X? What fans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Highest performing 240/360 radiators for i4790K + 290X? What fans? - Page 5

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Monsta rad with high RPM fans means more noise though am I right?

Yes it does, which motherboard do you plan on getting?
Stormtrooper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K Asus z97-ar MSI GTX760 TwinFrozr II G Skill RipjawsX f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SK Hynix 120GB White SSD SanDisk 960GB Ultra II Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung s27d850 1440P Logitech G510 Corsair RM550  NZXT Phantom 530 White 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9X Rock Professional Mouse Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
Stormtrooper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K Asus z97-ar MSI GTX760 TwinFrozr II G Skill RipjawsX f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SK Hynix 120GB White SSD SanDisk 960GB Ultra II Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung s27d850 1440P Logitech G510 Corsair RM550  NZXT Phantom 530 White 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9X Rock Professional Mouse Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausius View Post

Yes it does, which motherboard do you plan on getting?

I'm trying to decide that right now actually. I'm going SFF so I'm looking for the best Z97 MicroATX or Mini-ITX board I can get.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausius View Post


The RX has a relatively low FPI so it works well with low rpm fans, while the Monsta works best with higher rpm fans, so it all comes down to the noise level you are comfortable with. Personally I'd go for the Monsta if you can fit it in the case, as some good PWM fans, that way you get the low noise and high performance. I think 4*120mm of rad space will be sufficient even with overclocks.

 

The difference in performance between the Monsta vs the XSPC RX V3 @ high RPMs amounts to about .1oC. Basically within user testing error. The XSPC RX V3 is pretty much the top dog at ALL fan RPMs. Unlike the Monsta which only performs well at high RPM fan speeds. Not to mention the RX V3 doesn't take up nearly as much space within a case as it is only 54mm thick, rather than 80mm thick (Monsta).

 

Honestly, the Monsta is the worst option in this case. Especially since he is going with the Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL or EVOLV. And in my personal opinion, I'd say the Monsta isn't worth it anymore with the XSPC RX V3 being a regularly available option. Since they perform the same, with drastically different space requirements. And they cost about the same to boot.

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

The difference in performance between the Monsta vs the XSPC RX V3 @ high RPMs amounts to about .1oC. Basically within user testing error. The XSPC RX V3 is pretty much the top dog at ALL fan RPMs. Unlike the Monsta which only performs well at high RPM fan speeds. Not to mention the RX V3 doesn't take up nearly as much space within a case as it is only 54mm thick, rather than 80mm thick (Monsta).

Honestly, the Monsta is the worst option in this case. Especially since he is going with the Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL or EVOLV. And in my personal opinion, I'd say the Monsta isn't worth it anymore with the XSPC RX V3 being a regularly available option. Since they perform the same, with drastically different space requirements. And they cost about the same to boot.

Really? I was under the impression that the Monsta out performed the RX by about 1c at higher RPMs, do you have any information that proves otherwise?
Stormtrooper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K Asus z97-ar MSI GTX760 TwinFrozr II G Skill RipjawsX f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SK Hynix 120GB White SSD SanDisk 960GB Ultra II Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung s27d850 1440P Logitech G510 Corsair RM550  NZXT Phantom 530 White 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9X Rock Professional Mouse Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
Stormtrooper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K Asus z97-ar MSI GTX760 TwinFrozr II G Skill RipjawsX f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SK Hynix 120GB White SSD SanDisk 960GB Ultra II Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung s27d850 1440P Logitech G510 Corsair RM550  NZXT Phantom 530 White 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9X Rock Professional Mouse Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 49
According to Bundy's testing, the Alphacool Monsta (it's an 85mm thick rad btw, not 80mm as so many retailers have it listed as) outperforms all other rads including the RX V3 at single-side fan speeds of 1300rpm or more, which isn't what I'd consider all that high of fan speeds. You can expect quite a bit better of a performance increase in push-pull on the Monsta at that fan speed, or a similar performance at considerably lower fan speeds, especially so on both counts if you use better fans than the PL-2 Noiseblockers or Phobya Nano-G 12 fans he used, which isn't all that hard to do.

Had Bundy used better fans at those speeds I suspect you would see a bit more of a performance boost from some of the thicker and more restrictive rads. Would be even more awesome if he would have replicated the same test with fans in push-pull. Generally speaking, Martin's testing has shown that push-pull tends to net performance increases from 15% to 30% over just push or pull on all rads, but with the highest gains to be had on thicker more restrictive rads.

FWIW, Dazmode still has 2150rpm AP-45s (aka AP-00s) at a pretty decent price (currently $20.99 CAN = $19.51 USD + shipping), which are even better rad fans than the currently all-but extinct unless you want to pay a fortune 1850rpm AP-15s, assuming with either you would be running them on a fan controller. Alternatively, 1450rpm AP-14s can still be had at decent prices also ($18.95 at aaawave incl free shipping), and they are just as good of a rad fan as the AP-15 or AP-45 at the slower fan speeds almost everyone would be running them at most of the time. They are all the same fan except the AP-15 and even more-so the AP-45 are able to ramp up speeds/airflow to the next level when tasked to and yet manage to do so quieter than any other brand of fan on a rad.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Martin's 50 fan-on-rad shootout

At lower fan speeds of less than 1000rpm, the differences between fans are pretty minor. It's really only at faster fan speeds than most people would normally prefer to run them at that fans like the Gentle Typhoons really differentiate themselves from all the rest.
Edited by Unicr0nhunter - 6/21/14 at 3:03pm
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicr0nhunter View Post

According to Bundy's testing, the Alphacool Monsta (it's an 85mm thick rad btw, not 80mm as so many retailers have it listed as) outperforms all other rads including the RX V3 at single-side fan speeds of 1300rpm or more, which isn't what I'd consider all that high of fan speeds. You can expect quite a bit better of a performance increase in push-pull on the Monsta at that fan speed, or a similar performance at considerably lower fan speeds, especially so on both counts if you use better fans than the PL-2 Noiseblockers or Phobya Nano-G 12 fans he used, which isn't all that hard to do.

Had Bundy used better fans at those speeds I suspect you would see a bit more of a performance boost from some of the thicker and more restrictive rads. Would be even more awesome if he would have replicated the same test with fans in push-pull. Generally speaking, Martin's testing has shown that push-pull tends to net performance increases from 15% to 30% over just push or pull on all rads, but with the highest gains to be had on thicker more restrictive rads.

FWIW, Dazmode still has 2150rpm AP-45s (aka AP-00s) at a pretty decent price ($20.99 CAN = $19.16 USD + shipping), which are even better rad fans than the currently all-but extinct unless you want to pay a fortune 1850rpm AP-15s, assuming with either you would be running them on a fan controller. Alternatively, 1450rpm AP-14s can still be had at decent prices also ($18.95 at aaawave incl free shipping), and they are just as good of a rad fan as the AP-15 or AP-45 at the slower fan speeds almost everyone would be running them at most of the time. They are all the same fan except the AP-15 and even more-so the AP-45 are able to ramp up speeds/airflow to the next level when tasked to and yet manage to do so quieter than any other brand of fan on a rad. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Martin's 50 fan-on-rad shootout

At lower fan speeds of less than 1000rpm, the differences between fans are pretty minor. It's really only at faster fan speeds than most people would normally prefer to run them at that fans like the Gentle Typhoons really differentiate themselves from all the rest.

 

Yeah, but look at the actual delta between the two radiators even at 1300+ rpm. 0.1-0.2C delta. That is pretty much nothing. And very few people run their fans at speeds that would really make the Monsta shine over the RX V3. Even push-pull on the Monsta wouldn't make that much of a temperature difference. So in the end, you have the much thinner RX V3 performing nearly on par with the Monsta (which is considerably larger) @ higher RPMs, and putting the Monsta to shame at lower fan speeds. The RX V3 is flat out the better all-around performing radiator. Because it performs well at all fan speeds.

post #47 of 49
Thread Starter 
I'm liking this discussion very much. Thanks for chiming in everyone.

I'm leaning towards using XSPC RX series rads due to their size easier to mount in a small case. Pretty much the only way I could go with a Monsta is if I decide for sure on the Mini XL case. However since I was originally looking to go for a cube sized case to save space going for the Mini XL doesn't really solve that issue.

If I go with the RX series I'm thinking either 2 x 240's or 1 x 360 and 1 x 120 depending on what would fit better in the case I choose. I'm also looking at the following fans in push/pull since they're much cheaper and I've been told they perform pretty darn well on rads.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_1130_49_1050&products_id=32751

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_1130_49_1050&products_id=32752

Thoughts?
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Yeah, but look at the actual delta between the two radiators even at 1300+ rpm. 0.1-0.2C delta. That is pretty much nothing. And very few people run their fans at speeds that would really make the Monsta shine over the RX V3. Even push-pull on the Monsta wouldn't make that much of a temperature difference. So in the end, you have the much thinner RX V3 performing nearly on par with the Monsta (which is considerably larger) @ higher RPMs, and putting the Monsta to shame at lower fan speeds. The RX V3 is flat out the better all-around performing radiator. Because it performs well at all fan speeds.

If you look at Bundy's data and plug into that the results of other testing done by the likes of Martin on the benefits of better fans and running them in push-pull, which I linked above, it's a safe bet that the Monsta with good performing rad fans like Gentle Typhoons in push-pull will outperform the RX V3 at speeds as low as 800rpms or thereabouts. I'd venture to say the Monsta will outperform the RX V3 at all fan speeds with good fans in push-pull.

I never run my AP-15s or AP-45s below 1000 rpms in any case, as they are completely silent on a rad at that speed. That's my min fan speed set by my controller and they only go higher if coolant temp hits 30C where the CW611 will begin stepping up the speeds. Heck, they barely make any perceptible noise outside the case even at 1500rpms or more.
Edited by Unicr0nhunter - 6/21/14 at 3:32pm
post #49 of 49
i know the Phantek Enthoo Evolv can fit 2 X 240 rads as that's the case i modded to fit the 240's in.

the only thing is you have to obv remove all drive bays, & cut a small piece of metal out at the inside front section. The evolv is such a nice looking case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Highest performing 240/360 radiators for i4790K + 290X? What fans?