Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Steel tubes in TFC Admiral
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steel tubes in TFC Admiral

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hello all, I have recently picked up at TFC Admiral in the 360mm flavor https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/admiral-360-triple-120mm-black/ and upon recieving it I realized it used a steel core/tubes. Would this be safe to mix with my all copper cpu block and silver coil?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimis View Post

Would this be safe to mix with my all copper cpu block and silver coil?

No.

Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially to another...
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
As far as I am aware its stainless steel.. You're fine using copper. I would personally ditch the kill coil and just use liquid utopia. there is an electrochemical voltage of 0.15v between the steel and copper and that is acceptable for our use as water coolers...

if that electrochemical voltage was between 0.20 and 0.25v then no its not ok to use it,but that's not the case here... TFC isn't that stupid..
Edited by smash_mouth01 - 6/19/14 at 5:02am
post #4 of 10
No...again!

Here's a galvanic corrosion chart from someone that sells SS.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
looking at that chart copper is 8 and ss is at 12 only 2 steps away from copper..and if you are correct then why does EK and alphacool use SS mixed with copper in some of their full cover blocks..

if you use the anodic index from the first link you referenced in your first post you'd also see that chromium/steel alloys which SS is with a minimum of 10.9% chromium is within 0.15v electrochemical voltage which is fine.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post

looking at that chart copper is 8 and ss is at 12 only 2 steps away from copper..and if you are correct then why does EK and alphacool use SS mixed with copper in some of their full cover blocks..

if you use the anodic index from the first link you referenced in your first post you'd also see that chromium/steel alloys which SS is with a minimum of 10.9% chromium is within 0.15v electrochemical voltage which is fine.

If you're happy then so am I.
Note, I didn't do the calculations................
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimis View Post

Hello all, I have recently picked up at TFC Admiral in the 360mm flavor https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/admiral-360-triple-120mm-black/ and upon recieving it I realized it used a steel core/tubes. Would this be safe to mix with my all copper cpu block and silver coil?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!

Should be fine, there's already stainless steel in your loop. Most pumps have a steel impeller base, EK Supremacy uses stainless steel injection plates, many Full Coverage VGA waterblocks have stainless steel in contact with the water at some point in the blocks design. I'd use some anti-corrosives if it were my loop, but as I always say I'm a bit more on the paranoid side of liquid cooling maintenance. Mayhems X1 is good for a premix or coolant concentrate, Liquid Utopia is a good alternative to the copper sulphate biocide, NP Nuke PHN will act as a mild corrosion inhibitor as the form of a pH balance. Note that benzyl chloride, i.e. PT Nuke PHN, will absolutely obliterate dyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

No.

Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially to another...

Galvanic corrosion occurs when two metals are in direct electrical contact as well as in contact with an electrolyte. A similar type of corrosion can occur where metals will leech ions from eachother, but it isn't nearly as aggressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post

As far as I am aware its stainless steel.. You're fine using copper. I would personally ditch the kill coil and just use liquid utopia. there is an electrochemical voltage of 0.15v between the steel and copper and that is acceptable for our use as water coolers...

if that electrochemical voltage was between 0.20 and 0.25v then no its not ok to use it,but that's not the case here... TFC isn't that stupid..

I wouldn't rely on those charts, there are TONS of stainless steel alloys; moreover a single stainless steel alloy can have 2 different electrode potentials depending on whether it's active or passive. You don't know what alloy TFC used, or if it was active or passive. They do however, and I'll bet my moneys worth that they did their research.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Disregarding all of the above, why did you purchase that particular radiator?

Did you need it for a specific them or build? Are the inlet outlet ports a PITA?

Keep in mind that these a will have a pretty high flow restriction. Similar to the AMS rads. maybe more i can't remember off top off head.
Edited by DaaQ - 6/19/14 at 6:21pm
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help everybody my mind is at ease using this rad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaQ View Post

Disregarding all of the above, why did you purchase that particular radiator?

Did you need it for a specific them or build? Are the inlet outlet ports a PITA?

Keep in mind that these a will have a pretty high flow restriction. Similar to the AMS rads. maybe more i can't remember off top off head.

And I got the rad because it seemed like and interesting design and seemed like it would perform well enough for my needs. I did some reading and people are recomending high airflow fans, but ill see how I make out with my 2xNF-F12's and soon to be ordered NF-F12 industrial ( Yea im a fanboy... hehe)

idk ill run some benchmarks with my 240 30fpi rad before I make the switch (also going to be cleaning up the fittings/hose layout a bit)
post #10 of 10
How did the Admiral rads work out for you? I like the look of them myself and was considering them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Steel tubes in TFC Admiral