Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970 - Page 160

post #1591 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCbench View Post

Can you do a comparison between G3258 @ 4.2 GHz and G3258 @ 4.7 GHz for both R9 290 and R9 290 CrossFire ?

Thanks

I'm testing right now, very interesting results for sure.
post #1592 of 4581
So. Took me a while to do the benchmarking, but results are worth it I hope.

First of all, I used the settings I normally would for gaming. That means 1440p, details cranked up to the max and MSAA 8x. No 800x600 stupidity. Race Track: New Union Trans America Pacers - California Race (4.6km) - driving the Mustang Mach 1 Twister Special.

I debated whether or not to overclock my 290s - but heavily overclocking the processor and not touching graphics is not realistic. I ended up choosing 1100/1375 to represent a regular stable overclock without overvolting.

OC Settings with Timing Configurator: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
4700_settingsycjqr.png

A couple things are notable:

With one card, Grid2 is GPU bound at 1440p max settings and 8x MSAA. Results with different CPU settings are within the margin of error. With an overclock of just 4200 you are good to go.

The picture changes completely when turning on CrossFire. When using two cards, the single most important thing to get more fps out of your G3258 is overclocking your memory. Hard to believe, mem speed is more important than cranking up your core from 4.2 to 4.7! Your uncore speed also has some importance, so don't neglect that either.
If you are on a lower resolution and/or using lower graphics settings, it wouldn't surprise me that you are seeing this phenomenon with a single card too.

Now without further due, the results. Enjoy thumb.gif

g3258cfxlu4vidkag.png

21924536ojjjygu7k.png
Edited by aerotracks - 9/29/14 at 11:00am
post #1593 of 4581
i wish there was comparison run using your 4790k. I would also like to see if the memory is as important on the i7.
Edited by Wirerat - 9/29/14 at 10:48am
Cable box
(24 items)
 
Phat Bits
(16 items)
 
Lament Box
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K 4.8ghz @ 1.245v Asus Maximus Hero VI 4GB Asus Strix GTX 980 Gskil Trident 2400 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB sandisk extreme SSD 2 tb Western digital media intel 530 128 gb SSD External LG BD RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Coolstream 360mm PE Rad  Gentle typhoon AP-15 X 3 Fractal Design 140mm 1000RPM X3 Fractal Design Venturi High Flow Series 140mm F... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower DDC Heatsink Black EK Coolstream XTC 140mm Rad EK Supremecy MX  EK FC980 Strix Water Block 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
swiftech MCP-35X EK XRES 140 DDC Top WIN 7 ULTIMATE smk link 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Seasonic G-750  Fractal Design R5 G700s HDHOMERUN 3 TUNER CABLE CARD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k 4.5ghz @1.29v asus z87-A EVGA 4gb GTX 970 FTW 1510mhz 8000mem 1.23v Adata XPG 8GB @ 2400mhz 11-13-13-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ VERTEX 3 90GB 1tb 7200 Seagate hybrid  D5 vario Primo chill 120mm D5 Compression Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCR-320 XP 360mm rad Swiftech MCR-320 XP 120mm rad EK Supreme LTX Cpu block Biitspower ACX GTX 970 Water block 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
win7 64bit ultimate G13 Seasonic M211 620 watt Nzxt Guardian 
  hide details  
Reply
Cable box
(24 items)
 
Phat Bits
(16 items)
 
Lament Box
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K 4.8ghz @ 1.245v Asus Maximus Hero VI 4GB Asus Strix GTX 980 Gskil Trident 2400 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB sandisk extreme SSD 2 tb Western digital media intel 530 128 gb SSD External LG BD RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Coolstream 360mm PE Rad  Gentle typhoon AP-15 X 3 Fractal Design 140mm 1000RPM X3 Fractal Design Venturi High Flow Series 140mm F... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower DDC Heatsink Black EK Coolstream XTC 140mm Rad EK Supremecy MX  EK FC980 Strix Water Block 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
swiftech MCP-35X EK XRES 140 DDC Top WIN 7 ULTIMATE smk link 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Seasonic G-750  Fractal Design R5 G700s HDHOMERUN 3 TUNER CABLE CARD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k 4.5ghz @1.29v asus z87-A EVGA 4gb GTX 970 FTW 1510mhz 8000mem 1.23v Adata XPG 8GB @ 2400mhz 11-13-13-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ VERTEX 3 90GB 1tb 7200 Seagate hybrid  D5 vario Primo chill 120mm D5 Compression Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCR-320 XP 360mm rad Swiftech MCR-320 XP 120mm rad EK Supreme LTX Cpu block Biitspower ACX GTX 970 Water block 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
win7 64bit ultimate G13 Seasonic M211 620 watt Nzxt Guardian 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1594 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirerat View Post

i wish there was comparison run using your 4790k. I would also like to see if the memory is as important on the i7.

Good question. Too bad I sold it biggrin.gif

Oh, I changed the graphics in my post, so the one in your quoting me is not up to date anymore smile.gif
Edited by aerotracks - 9/29/14 at 10:47am
post #1595 of 4581
Memory as in RAM, right? Does that mean turning on XMP in the bios, or manual tuning of it? The Haswell oc guide says to turn it off, but that was mostly for the i5/i7, so might be different?
post #1596 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotracks View Post

Good question. Too bad I sold it biggrin.gif

Oh, I changed the graphics in my post, so the one in your quoting me is not up to date anymore smile.gif
removed the quote.
Cable box
(24 items)
 
Phat Bits
(16 items)
 
Lament Box
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K 4.8ghz @ 1.245v Asus Maximus Hero VI 4GB Asus Strix GTX 980 Gskil Trident 2400 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB sandisk extreme SSD 2 tb Western digital media intel 530 128 gb SSD External LG BD RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Coolstream 360mm PE Rad  Gentle typhoon AP-15 X 3 Fractal Design 140mm 1000RPM X3 Fractal Design Venturi High Flow Series 140mm F... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower DDC Heatsink Black EK Coolstream XTC 140mm Rad EK Supremecy MX  EK FC980 Strix Water Block 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
swiftech MCP-35X EK XRES 140 DDC Top WIN 7 ULTIMATE smk link 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Seasonic G-750  Fractal Design R5 G700s HDHOMERUN 3 TUNER CABLE CARD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k 4.5ghz @1.29v asus z87-A EVGA 4gb GTX 970 FTW 1510mhz 8000mem 1.23v Adata XPG 8GB @ 2400mhz 11-13-13-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ VERTEX 3 90GB 1tb 7200 Seagate hybrid  D5 vario Primo chill 120mm D5 Compression Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCR-320 XP 360mm rad Swiftech MCR-320 XP 120mm rad EK Supreme LTX Cpu block Biitspower ACX GTX 970 Water block 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
win7 64bit ultimate G13 Seasonic M211 620 watt Nzxt Guardian 
  hide details  
Reply
Cable box
(24 items)
 
Phat Bits
(16 items)
 
Lament Box
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K 4.8ghz @ 1.245v Asus Maximus Hero VI 4GB Asus Strix GTX 980 Gskil Trident 2400 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB sandisk extreme SSD 2 tb Western digital media intel 530 128 gb SSD External LG BD RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Coolstream 360mm PE Rad  Gentle typhoon AP-15 X 3 Fractal Design 140mm 1000RPM X3 Fractal Design Venturi High Flow Series 140mm F... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower DDC Heatsink Black EK Coolstream XTC 140mm Rad EK Supremecy MX  EK FC980 Strix Water Block 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
swiftech MCP-35X EK XRES 140 DDC Top WIN 7 ULTIMATE smk link 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Seasonic G-750  Fractal Design R5 G700s HDHOMERUN 3 TUNER CABLE CARD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k 4.5ghz @1.29v asus z87-A EVGA 4gb GTX 970 FTW 1510mhz 8000mem 1.23v Adata XPG 8GB @ 2400mhz 11-13-13-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ VERTEX 3 90GB 1tb 7200 Seagate hybrid  D5 vario Primo chill 120mm D5 Compression Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCR-320 XP 360mm rad Swiftech MCR-320 XP 120mm rad EK Supreme LTX Cpu block Biitspower ACX GTX 970 Water block 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
win7 64bit ultimate G13 Seasonic M211 620 watt Nzxt Guardian 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1597 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroaura View Post

Memory as in RAM, right? Does that mean turning on XMP in the bios, or manual tuning of it? The Haswell oc guide says to turn it off, but that was mostly for the i5/i7, so might be different?

This is a 4x4 kit of Samsung, underclocked to 2400 using manual timings.
OC Settings with Timing Configurator (also added those to my original post):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Timings work exactly the same way as on i5/i7.
Edited by aerotracks - 9/29/14 at 11:01am
post #1598 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotracks View Post

So. Took me a while to do the benchmarking, but results are worth it I hope.

First of all, I used the settings I normally would for gaming. That means 1440p, details cranked up to the max and MSAA 8x. No 800x600 stupidity. Race Track: New Union Trans America Pacers - California Race (4.6km) - driving the Mustang Mach 1 Twister Special.

I debated whether or not to overclock my 290s - but heavily overclocking the processor and not touching graphics is not realistic. I ended up choosing 1100/1375 to represent a regular stable overclock without overvolting.

OC Settings with Timing Configurator: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
4700_settingsycjqr.png

A couple things are notable:

With one card, Grid2 is GPU bound at 1440p max settings and 8x MSAA. Results with different CPU settings are within the margin of error. With an overclock of just 4200 you are good to go.

The picture changes completely when turning on CrossFire. When using two cards, the single most important thing to get more fps out of your G3258 is overclocking your memory. Hard to believe, mem speed is more important than cranking up your core from 4.2 to 4.7! Your uncore speed also has some importance, so don't neglect that either.
If you are on a lower resolution and/or using lower graphics settings, it wouldn't surprise me that you are seeing this phenomenon with a single card too.

Now without further due, the results. Enjoy thumb.gif

g3258cfxlu4vidkag.png

21924536ojjjygu7k.png


Sorry to burst your bubble, but that data set is flawed. It's a dynamic test and the differences in the results are within the margin of error. Don't believe me? Run the same "benchmark" 5 times at each over clock setting and see how much variance there is on each test.
post #1599 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waan View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that data set is flawed. It's a dynamic test and the differences in the results are within the margin of error. Don't believe me? Run the same "benchmark" 5 times at each over clock setting and see how much variance there is on each test.

Such a shame, you burst my little bubble. Except, not. Reran each CrossFire test three times and took the median.

Edit: Single card I didn't bother, to be precise. Nothing to see there anyways. But I believe I said "within margin of error" regarding those results.. so I don't see how this could be deceiving.
Edited by aerotracks - 9/29/14 at 3:24pm
post #1600 of 4581
Wanted to post a big thanks to Gigabyte for the last month of fun on HWbot and their AE Beat The Heat Challenge. I worked hard and ended up placing 3rd in XTU Enthusiast Catagory. If I won , I wouldn't have gotten a chance at this. Just got the email this morning! Thanks Gigabyte!!!

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k Asrock x99 OCF V3.1 One of many Kingston HyperX Predator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO Asus Bluray Custom Water Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Asus VG248QE EVGA P1200 Mountain Mods Extended Custom U2-UFO  Mad Catz R.A.T 5 
Mouse PadAudio
steelseries M-Audio BX5a DLX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k Asrock x99 OCF V3.1 One of many Kingston HyperX Predator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO Asus Bluray Custom Water Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Asus VG248QE EVGA P1200 Mountain Mods Extended Custom U2-UFO  Mad Catz R.A.T 5 
Mouse PadAudio
steelseries M-Audio BX5a DLX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970