Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970 - Page 88

post #871 of 4581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppapump View Post

So I have my 3258 @ 4.3Ghz with a motherboard-limited 1.2v. I played Planetside 2 for a couple hours last night and when I exited, HWINFO64 showed that my CPU had hit a max freq of 4.7Ghz.

It handled it like a champ, no noticeable problems and temps capped at 75c. I thought SOE had just done some more optimizations. redface.gif

I'm guessing that was the turbo. Should I turn it off, or is it smart enough to not exceed its voltage envelope?

I thought the G3258 didn't have turbo boost?
http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3258-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz
post #872 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

I thought the G3258 didn't have turbo boost?
http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3258-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz

That's real weird, then. I'll grab a screencap if it happens again.
post #873 of 4581
As delivered from Intel, the Pentium G3258 is a 3.2 GHz processor and that's it. Their spec page does not call it a K series CPU and they don't mention that the multiplier is unlocked. The average Joe can buy this processor and run it as is at its default 3.2 GHz speed and at this speed, it does not use Intel Turbo Boost.

The overclocking part is more like a secret for enthusiasts. Intel might not want to admit that this CPU uses Intel Turbo Boost but all Intel CPUs that are running at a multiplier greater than the default multiplier are using Intel Turbo Boost internally. To test this, run RealTemp, put a load on your CPU and go into the Settings window and click on Disable Turbo. If your CPU was running at 4+ GHz and now it is only running at 3.2 GHz after you have disabled Turbo Boost within the processor then I guess that confirms that the CPU really is using Intel Turbo Boost when overclocking.

K series CPUs like the 4670K use Turbo Boost by default. Even if you are not overclocking one of these, when 1 core is active, it will turbo up to 3.8 GHz compared to its default speed of 3.4 GHz. With the Pentium, you can do this too. You just need to manually adjust the Turbo Boost multipliers in the bios or in software because by default, the G3258 only runs at 3.2 GHz.
Edited by unclewebb - 8/12/14 at 6:20pm
post #874 of 4581
Just got the CPU/mobo last night and couldnt wait. The stock high temps were in the low 40s running Prime95. I overclocked it to 4.4ghz at 1.25v and the temps are 58-61C. Been running Prime95 for fifteen minutes and no problem.

I tried 4.7 at 1.3v and it was a no go. When I get home from work I'll do some more testing to see if I can hit the magic 4.7 or 4.8
post #875 of 4581
Thread Starter 
@4.4GHz

post #876 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

As delivered from Intel, the Pentium G3258 is a 3.2 GHz processor and that's it. Their spec page does not call it a K series CPU and they don't mention that the multiplier is unlocked. The average Joe can buy this processor and run it as is at its default 3.2 GHz speed and at this speed, it does not use Intel Turbo Boost.

The overclocking part is more like a secret for enthusiasts. Intel might not want to admit that this CPU uses Intel Turbo Boost but all Intel CPUs that are running at a multiplier greater than the default multiplier are using Intel Turbo Boost internally. To test this, run RealTemp, put a load on your CPU and go into the Settings window and click on Disable Turbo. If your CPU was running at 4+ GHz and now it is only running at 3.2 GHz after you have disabled Turbo Boost within the processor then I guess that confirms that the CPU really is using Intel Turbo Boost when overclocking.

K series CPUs like the 4670K use Turbo Boost by default. Even if you are not overclocking one of these, when 1 core is active, it will turbo up to 3.8 GHz compared to its default speed of 3.4 GHz. With the Pentium, you can do this too. You just need to manually adjust the Turbo Boost multipliers in the bios or in software because by default, the G3258 only runs at 3.2 GHz.

This is so true, a funny little story about this happened to me recently.

I put a G3258 in my ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 board a few weeks ago. At that time the latest BIOS had "support for new 4th generation Intel processors", but nothing specific about the G3258. The PC booted and ran fine with the G3258. Since the G3258 "does not support Turbo", the Turbo Boost option was no longer displayed in the BIOS as it did when my 4670K was installed.

I then tried to OC the G3258 by changing the core multipliers, which I could do in the BIOS. But once I booted, every monitoring program I tried showed the G3258 at 3.2GHz maximum. The core multiplier settings in the BIOS remained at my higher setting (40) but the CPU was running at 3.2GHz. I noticed in Intel XTU that the Turbo option was listed, set to disabled, and could not be enabled. I discussed this in a thread in an ASRock forum, but the OP of the thread did not believe this problem was related to Turbo. I was skeptical.

Soon afterwards I noticed a beta BIOS for my board, with the description, Update C0 microcode to support Pentium Anniversary. Hmm...

So I flashed to the beta BIOS and guess what I found? The Turbo Boost option was displayed with the G3258 installed. After that, I set Turbo to enabled, and my multipliers set to 40 became a 4.0GHz OC when I booted. Isn't that amazing? Actually, not, as you described.

An official BIOS has since been released for this board, and the Turbo option remains available.

My question is, do other Z87 and Z97 boards that allow you to OC a G3258 also include the Turbo option in their BIOS' when one is installed? Or do some not display the Turbo option, but have it enabled secretly? How else can this be accomplished? Is this also part of the secret to non-Z OC?

Also, would changing the microcode (in the beta BIOS) cause Turbo to become active in this processor? Would that also cause the Turbo option to be displayed in the BIOS?
post #877 of 4581
I'm running the G3258/MSI Z97 PCMate combo from Microcenter. I've got my chip stable at 4.2 ghz @ 1.130V. However, max temp during Prime95 is 80C. I'm using the stock Intel cooler as well. Idle temp is around 33-36C. Ambient room temperature is around 80F (Summer time in Los Angeles). Is my max temp unusually high for such a low voltage? Should I try reseating the stock Intel fan?
post #878 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1288 View Post

I'm running the G3258/MSI Z97 PCMate combo from Microcenter. I've got my chip stable at 4.2 ghz @ 1.130V. However, max temp during Prime95 is 80C. I'm using the stock Intel cooler as well. Idle temp is around 33-36C. Ambient room temperature is around 80F (Summer time in Los Angeles). Is my max temp unusually high for such a low voltage? Should I try reseating the stock Intel fan?

Just check the back of the heatsink clips to be sure they are seated correctly. 80c at 4.2 stock cooler in p95 is just about right anyway.
post #879 of 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRUSH View Post

Just check the back of the heatsink clips to be sure they are seated correctly. 80c at 4.2 stock cooler in p95 is just about right anyway.

Ohh like make sure they're turned all the way opposite of the arrow direction?
post #880 of 4581
More like make sure the white pins are pushing into the black clips so they grip the back of the motherboard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970