Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Dual GPU Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dual GPU Question

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Alright, I am curious what some of you folks think about this. Right now I have a single XFX Radeon HD 7850 (FX-785A-CDFC), and I am curious if I should buy another, or should I buy a single 780/780Ti, or wait for the next generation of GPUs to see their benchmarks? What will give me the best performance?
post #2 of 32
Which is your resolution? And games do you play?
post #3 of 32
Crossfire 7850s would sit somewhere between a GTX 760 and GTX 770 in my estimation, so a single GTX 780 / 780 Ti would be faster and provide some future growth potential. Adding a second 7850 is definitely less expensive, though.

Greg
post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 
Right now my resolution is 1080p, however, I intend on buying a 4K TV here soon. I play first-person shooters, action/adventure games, and racing games. I'm trying to future-proof the best that I can, and I am looking at the 780 Ti, but I am curious what the 800 series will bring to the table.
post #5 of 32
Having dual 7850s I have been very satisfied with their performance, I max any game I play in 1920x1080 with ease.

That said however, I have regretted having a multi-gpu configuration. As always user experience will vary but my experience with multi-gpu setups has been bad every single time and has lead me to ultimately decide that from this day forth I will only build single GPU setups.

Don't let me talk you out of it as the performance is great, I just want you to know that you may or may not also get some problems along with it.
Chibi
(12 items)
 
Arcturus
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770s Gigabyte G1. Sniper M3 AMD 7850 AMD 7850 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper Series low voltage OCZ Vertex 4 Max IOPS LG DVD Burner dual-layer LG Bluray Burner dual-layer 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Custom liquid Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Corsair AX650 Fractal Design Arc Mini 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
AMD Opteron 4386 AMD Opteron 4386 SUPERMICRO MBD-H8DCL-6F-O Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM ECC Registe... 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
Western Digital RE WD1001FYYG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB ... Windows Server 2008 R2 SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black Adaptec RAID 2274200-R 7805 
  hide details  
Reply
Chibi
(12 items)
 
Arcturus
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770s Gigabyte G1. Sniper M3 AMD 7850 AMD 7850 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper Series low voltage OCZ Vertex 4 Max IOPS LG DVD Burner dual-layer LG Bluray Burner dual-layer 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Custom liquid Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Corsair AX650 Fractal Design Arc Mini 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
AMD Opteron 4386 AMD Opteron 4386 SUPERMICRO MBD-H8DCL-6F-O Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM ECC Registe... 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
Western Digital RE WD1001FYYG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB ... Windows Server 2008 R2 SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black Adaptec RAID 2274200-R 7805 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW21689 View Post

Having dual 7850s I have been very satisfied with their performance, I max any game I play in 1920x1080 with ease.

That said however, I have regretted having a multi-gpu configuration. As always user experience will vary but my experience with multi-gpu setups has been bad every single time and has lead me to ultimately decide that from this day forth I will only build single GPU setups.

Don't let me talk you out of it as the performance is great, I just want you to know that you may or may not also get some problems along with it.

I have read the same around other forums. The thing is, I would definitely be buying a new motherboard and I assume I would need more than 720W to run in CrossFire, so it seems going the single GPU route will be my better option.
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimensive View Post

I have read the same around other forums. The thing is, I would definitely be buying a new motherboard and I assume I would need more than 720W to run in CrossFire, so it seems going the single GPU route will be my better option.

Look at the system in my sig, it pulls just shy of 300W with the CPU and both GPUs under 100% load. Definitely do not need 720W to add another 7850 to the system in your signature. Power requirements are typically grossly overstated. If you wanted to have 2x780 Ti however that may be a different story (I'm not familiar with their power requirements off hand)
Chibi
(12 items)
 
Arcturus
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770s Gigabyte G1. Sniper M3 AMD 7850 AMD 7850 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper Series low voltage OCZ Vertex 4 Max IOPS LG DVD Burner dual-layer LG Bluray Burner dual-layer 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Custom liquid Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Corsair AX650 Fractal Design Arc Mini 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
AMD Opteron 4386 AMD Opteron 4386 SUPERMICRO MBD-H8DCL-6F-O Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM ECC Registe... 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
Western Digital RE WD1001FYYG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB ... Windows Server 2008 R2 SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black Adaptec RAID 2274200-R 7805 
  hide details  
Reply
Chibi
(12 items)
 
Arcturus
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770s Gigabyte G1. Sniper M3 AMD 7850 AMD 7850 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper Series low voltage OCZ Vertex 4 Max IOPS LG DVD Burner dual-layer LG Bluray Burner dual-layer 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Custom liquid Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Corsair AX650 Fractal Design Arc Mini 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
AMD Opteron 4386 AMD Opteron 4386 SUPERMICRO MBD-H8DCL-6F-O Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM ECC Registe... 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
Western Digital RE WD1001FYYG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB ... Windows Server 2008 R2 SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black Adaptec RAID 2274200-R 7805 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 32
R9 290 from ebay..check gpuscanner

But try to get one with after market cooling or buy a cheap reference and install a 50-90usd heatsink
post #9 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW21689 View Post

Look at the system in my sig, it pulls just shy of 300W with the CPU and both GPUs under 100% load. Definitely do not need 720W to add another 7850 to the system in your signature. Power requirements are typically grossly overstated. If you wanted to have 2x780 Ti however that may be a different story (I'm not familiar with their power requirements off hand)

Interesting about the power draw, I will definitely be reading more about that when I have time. If I were to go the 780/780 Ti route, I would only go single GPU.
post #10 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

R9 290 from ebay..check gpuscanner

But try to get one with after market cooling or buy a cheap reference and install a 50-90usd heatsink

Thanks, I will look at the R9 290 benchmarks. I have heard about its heat and have seen the aftermarket coolers for it. I won't be jumping on anything until at least Black Friday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Dual GPU Question