Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club - Page 206

post #2051 of 3145
Guys, I've managed to finish up my X99A Krait build and have successfully booted into the bios. Phew!

I've got a 950 Pro in the M.2 slot and it is recognised which is a relief but something is bugging me with it...

When I use the board explorer and hover over the M.2 connector it shows as if unpopulated and just states "M.2". However, when I hover over the lowest PCIe slot (PCI_E6) it shows the 950 Pro as being there and running at X4.

I'm guessing the M.2 and PCI_E6 slots share connected lanes and it's just a case of a glitch in how the bios displays things?

Wanted to see if others have noticed this before I go any further and try to install the OS. I'm using a 40 lane CPU (5930K) and switching the PCH Strap setting between M.2 or PCIE makes no difference at all to what shows up in the board explorer.
post #2052 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsxPaul View Post

Guys, I've managed to finish up my X99A Krait build and have successfully booted into the bios. Phew!

I've got a 950 Pro in the M.2 slot and it is recognised which is a relief but something is bugging me with it...

When I use the board explorer and hover over the M.2 connector it shows as if unpopulated and just states "M.2". However, when I hover over the lowest PCIe slot (PCI_E6) it shows the 950 Pro as being there and running at X4.

I'm guessing the M.2 and PCI_E6 slots share connected lanes and it's just a case of a glitch in how the bios displays things?

Wanted to see if others have noticed this before I go any further and try to install the OS. I'm using a 40 lane CPU (5930K) and switching the PCH Strap setting between M.2 or PCIE makes no difference at all to what shows up in the board explorer.

If it's anything like my SLI Plus then yes the PCI_E6 slot shares bandwidth with the M.2 for 4 lane PCI-E 3.0 operation, there's a switch on the motherboard (not physical) that switches it between CPU lanes or chipset PCI-E 2.0 x2/SATA functionality so if all your CPU lanes are used up it will use the chipset (much slower).

The board explorer probably can't tell the difference between it using the PCI_E6 slot or M.2 slot when using the CPU lanes
post #2053 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

If it's anything like my SLI Plus then yes the PCI_E6 slot shares bandwidth with the M.2 for 4 lane PCI-E 3.0 operation, there's a switch on the motherboard (not physical) that switches it between CPU lanes or chipset PCI-E 2.0 x2/SATA functionality so if all your CPU lanes are used up it will use the chipset (much slower).

The board explorer probably can't tell the difference between it using the PCI_E6 slot or M.2 slot when using the CPU lanes

Thanks bleets, That's put my mind at rest. It does state that it's running at x4 so I'm feeling hopeful that all is ok. I'm only using one GPU in the top slot so I should have plenty of spare 3.0 lanes to go around.
post #2054 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsxPaul View Post

Thanks bleets, That's put my mind at rest. It does state that it's running at x4 so I'm feeling hopeful that all is ok. I'm only using one GPU in the top slot so I should have plenty of spare 3.0 lanes to go around.

Yeah if it's running at x4 that'll be the PCI-E 3.0 lanes.
Make sure you install Samsungs NVMe driver for best performance as MS's is pants.
post #2055 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

Aye Amazon is good for RMA's, I got my board swapped out as I noticed it on the 27th day and there's a 28 day DOA policy so it didnt have to be RMA'd.
I get a spare IO bracket, SLI bridge and sata cables too wink.gif

Amazon is very consumer friendly when it comes to RMAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMatthewStewart View Post

Is there a way to change the graphic/splash screen on the motherboard? I had the krait (which I loved but may have been problematic) and I replaced it rapidly with an SLI Plus. That boot-up/splash screen is terrible. Its that grey and blue MSI Tough Guard logo. Its just too ugly to look at

So Im wondering if there is a custom bios that replaces that image or if there is a way to mod the bios to replace it. Im probably going to end up with a refurbed Krait too (newegg told me to send the return and then refused it...last time I order from them) So I may eventually go back to the Krait. But that will be months from now most likely and I have to change this one ASAP.

There should be an option to in the menu. Go to the boot menu.

Look at where it's highlighted - here is an H87 board, but all MSI BIOS layouts are similar.



While you cannot replace the logo, at least you can hide it.

The only other way is to go full UEFI, which may or may not require a full OS clean install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiHi76 View Post

I solved all problems. Only the beep issue/question is not solved.
Does MSI-Boards beep at normal post?

I' ve found some interesting infos about Ring OC2 auto rules.
http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=419178&postcount=112


Beep would suggest that something is wrong - no they don't all beep at POST.

Try disabling case intrusion detection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvamme View Post

Yeah, switching to UEFI only (or activating the Windows 8/8.1 mode or what ever it's called) gets rid of it. You might have to reinstall Windows, depending on how you installed Windows in the first place. If windows was installed in UEFI mode, you should be good. If not, you'll have to reinstall. Quick way to try it out. If it doesn't work, just reverse the switch in the BIOS.


Sometimes Windows can be picky and require a system recovery to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

Thanks

Does MSI let the techies do a review prior to release or only after it's releases?

Usually a month or two before there are a few exclusive reviewers that get their hands on it. But to be honest, I'm not sure it's going to be any different than the X99 Godlike (Red) version. I would recommend you read that and see if it is a good fit for you.

See here:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7271/msi-x99a-godlike-gaming-intel-x99-motherboard-review/index.html

Sin0822 has some of the best reviews on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackHisFace View Post

Hey I have an MSI X99 Raider and I want to update the bios. I have downloaded the bios from the MSI website and put it in a USB however when I go to M-flash and select the USB it says there is no BIOS update in the flash drive. Anyone know whats going on? Ive tried taking it out of its folder, leaving it in its folder. Ive tried various formats for the usb but nothing works.


FAT32 is probably your safest bet. It has to be in the parent directory too, not a folder often. Also, try plugging it into one of the USB ports controlled by the Intel controller, rather than any third party solution. Often the Asmedia controllers from my experiences don't work as well.
Edited by CrazyElf - 1/27/16 at 4:05pm
Trooper Typhoon
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960X X99A Godlike MSI 1080 Ti Lightning MSI 1080 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Z 32 Gb Samsung SM843T 960 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung SV843 960 GB LG WH14NS40 Cryorig R1 Ultimate 9x Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm on case 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Korean 27" 2560x1440 Ducky Legend with Vortex PBT Doubleshot Backlit... EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Proteus Asus Xonar Essence STX Lamptron Fanatic Fan Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
Trooper Typhoon
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960X X99A Godlike MSI 1080 Ti Lightning MSI 1080 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Z 32 Gb Samsung SM843T 960 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung SV843 960 GB LG WH14NS40 Cryorig R1 Ultimate 9x Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm on case 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Korean 27" 2560x1440 Ducky Legend with Vortex PBT Doubleshot Backlit... EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Proteus Asus Xonar Essence STX Lamptron Fanatic Fan Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2056 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post

The only other way is to go full UEFI, which may or may not require a full OS clean install.

That only works with windows 8 and onwards iirc.

Also disabling legacy boot stops you being able to boot memstest and stuff! tongue.gif
post #2057 of 3145
I'm trying to get my BIOS/UEFI settings all lined up before I attempt to install Win 7 on this 950 Pro and a there are a few things that are throwing me off...

If I change "Boot Mode" from Legacy to UEFI I can no longer see the 950 Pro in my boot devices. I can only see it listed if I stay with Legacy.

I get the same result if I enable the "Windows 8.1 Configuration". I have to disable this to get the 950 back in the boot devices list.

This is the opposite to what I was expecting. I thought you could only install an OS to the 950 if you were in UEFI mode but it looks as if I'll need to stay with Legacy mode to get the OS on there and then be able to make it bootable. I was also led to believe that Win 7 could be installed under UEFI mode so I set up my USB drive for UEFI and GPT using Rufus thinking I might be good to go.

Scratching my head here and wondering what settings to stay with before I try and go for the install.


Edit: Things have moved on a bit since my original text above.


I managed to install Win 7 to the 950 pro.

I set boot to UEFI only
Had to leave Win 8.1 support off.
Loaded the 950 driver from a usb during install which made it recognisable.
The 950 now shows as "Windows Boot Manager" in the UEFI boot order list.


So now to my next issue...

I have 2x 256gb ssds attached to the sata ports and I would like to put them in raid0.

If I set sata mode to "raid" in the bios, I cannot boot. This is what happens...
I'll get the bios splash screen, then the raid config screen (CTRL+I to enter setup etc, which I haven't touched yet)
I then wait for it to bypass this and expect it to boot from the 950 but instead I get a wall of text with something about pci subsystem settings?

If I power down and get back in the bios, set sata mode back to AHCI, all is ok again and I can boot from the 950. Once into Windows I can see the two ssds within disk management. Both are unallocated because I haven't done anything with them yet.

I'm not sure if I need to set sata mode back to raid and then use the CTRL+I during boot to set up the raid0. Could this be causing my problem?

Sorry for the long wall of text. I hope it makes sense.
Edited by EsxPaul - 1/28/16 at 3:34am
post #2058 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsxPaul View Post

I'm trying to get my BIOS/UEFI settings all lined up before I attempt to install Win 7 on this 950 Pro and a there are a few things that are throwing me off...

If I change "Boot Mode" from Legacy to UEFI I can no longer see the 950 Pro in my boot devices. I can only see it listed if I stay with Legacy.

I get the same result if I enable the "Windows 8.1 Configuration". I have to disable this to get the 950 back in the boot devices list.

This is the opposite to what I was expecting. I thought you could only install an OS to the 950 if you were in UEFI mode but it looks as if I'll need to stay with Legacy mode to get the OS on there and then be able to make it bootable. I was also led to believe that Win 7 could be installed under UEFI mode so I set up my USB drive for UEFI and GPT using Rufus thinking I might be good to go.

Scratching my head here and wondering what settings to stay with before I try and go for the install.


Edit: Things have moved on a bit since my original text above.


I managed to install Win 7 to the 950 pro.

I set boot to UEFI only
Had to leave Win 8.1 support off.
Loaded the 950 driver from a usb during install which made it recognisable.
The 950 now shows as "Windows Boot Manager" in the UEFI boot order list.


So now to my next issue...

I have 2x 256gb ssds attached to the sata ports and I would like to put them in raid0.

If I set sata mode to "raid" in the bios, I cannot boot. This is what happens...
I'll get the bios splash screen, then the raid config screen (CTRL+I to enter setup etc, which I haven't touched yet)
I then wait for it to bypass this and expect it to boot from the 950 but instead I get a wall of text with something about pci subsystem settings?

If I power down and get back in the bios, set sata mode back to AHCI, all is ok again and I can boot from the 950. Once into Windows I can see the two ssds within disk management. Both are unallocated because I haven't done anything with them yet.

I'm not sure if I need to set sata mode back to raid and then use the CTRL+I during boot to set up the raid0. Could this be causing my problem?

Sorry for the long wall of text. I hope it makes sense.

What board do you have. I have Windows 8.1/10 on. Boots with no problem. Did you have other SSD/HD connected when you tried to install the first time?
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2059 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCrowely View Post

What board do you have. I have Windows 8.1/10 on. Boots with no problem. Did you have other SSD/HD connected when you tried to install the first time?

I'm using the X99A Krait. No other drives connected while doing the install.

I tried changing the sata mode back to RAID, rebooting and then using CTRL+I at the raid splash screen to get in and set things up.
Both of the ssds are listed on the initial page but when I move to the next step and try to create a raid0 volume, I can give it a name, change the stripe size etc but the option to add drives to the array is greyed out.

What I've done for now is to leave sata mode on AHCI, boot into Windows and set up the raid through disk management. That has gone well and seems to be working but I know that it would be preferable to do it properly through the bios at a hardware level. Stumped for now!
post #2060 of 3145
Just had my new SLI Plus hanging at post @ 9C mad.gif

I'm really hoping that was just an iffy connection to my USB hub because I don't want to have to swap another board out sad-smiley-002.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club