Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club - Page 212

post #2111 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

The X99A SLI Krait is the same as the X99A SLI Plus with an upgraded on board audio solution and a different Intel LAN (I218 on the SLI Plus and I210-AT on the Krait) so the x16 slots are wired the same way.

And the additional 4-pin cpu. But otherwise its the same...gotcha. Thanks. I dont think Im going to swap the board in just for the four additional power phase support. Im only going to run the cpu at 4ghz (maybe up to 4.2)
post #2112 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMatthewStewart View Post

And the additional 4-pin cpu. But otherwise its the same...gotcha. Thanks. I dont think Im going to swap the board in just for the four additional power phase support. Im only going to run the cpu at 4ghz (maybe up to 4.2)

I don't know the upgraded audio solution might be good depending on your setup but then most people wouldnt notice any difference smile.gif
post #2113 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

I don't know the upgraded audio solution might be good depending on your setup but then most people wouldnt notice any difference smile.gif

I dont have that good of an ear. Ive had both boards now and I cant tell the difference in the audio. That DUAL Serial is only $20 so thats not too bad. I'll order that later.

So is it possible that putting the second card in E5, even without the external power cables (just pcie power) will still half my top cards speed down to x8? This is starting to bother me because I started to have serious problems three-weeks into my Krait and new cpu. I swapped out RAM and mobo. When all was said and done it seemed like a RAM issue. But now Im wondering if the cpu is actually problematic. Memory controller not working correctly, now pcie speeds cant register properly. Im only talking about the top slot now. Wondering if I should go back to just a single card in the top slot and see what that reads at.
post #2114 of 3145
I wouldnt have a PCI-E GPU in a slot without the power cables connected, i don't know if it would cause problems or not as it's something i've never thought about trying. But it may actually drop the speed down possibly maybe as that is the slot intended for use in a 3 way SLI config with a 28 lane CPU, the 40 lane CPU will use PCI_E6...it doesn't make sense why that would be the case but it is possible.

If you look at the picture below there's a switch on the first two PCI-E slots - I don't know what this actually does as I havent seen any documentation but it could potentially cut the PCI-E lanes down to 8 if you have a card in E5.

So if you still have the card connected in E5 that could very well be the root cause of the issue

post #2115 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

I wouldnt have a PCI-E GPU in a slot without the power cables connected, i don't know if it would cause problems or not as it's something i've never thought about trying. But it may actually drop the speed down possibly maybe as that is the slot intended for use in a 3 way SLI config with a 28 lane CPU, the 40 lane CPU will use PCI_E6...it doesn't make sense why that would be the case but it is possible.

If you look at the picture below there's a switch on the first two PCI-E slots - I don't know what this actually does as I havent seen any documentation but it could potentially cut the PCI-E lanes down to 8 if you have a card in E5.

So if you still have the card connected in E5 that could very well be the root cause of the issue

I was just looking at that and thinking the same thing. Im going to take them out and pop in a single air-cooled card again and see what happens
post #2116 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

I havent seen any documentation but it could potentially cut the PCI-E lanes down to 8 if you have a card in E5.

So if you still have the card connected in E5 that could very well be the root cause of the issue

Bingo. Having a card in the top slot and then having a card in any other x8 slot activates the switch and brings them down to x8. Im at a single card in top slot (may only air-cooled Lightning) and it finally reads at x16. Going to order the Dual Serial. For now I'll run the air-cooled card alone. Thanks for letting me know its only x8 on those other slots. And I shouldve known anyway because you can see that the connectors are only half the length of the top two slots. Because the lighting was bad it also looked like the second x16 slot also looked like it only had connectors halfway through the length of the slot. And when I took the top card out it also looked similar. But it was the way I was looking into the case (donw and at a slight angle) and insuffecient lighting. Now wheen I shine a bright torch in there I can see that the top x16 lanes are true x16.

But this is a pretty poor design. Anyone buying a 40 lane cpu (2 out of 3 of the x99 cpus are 40 lane) has a good chance of having multi-gpu set up. And unless the cards are liquid cooled its almost impossible to get a card in the top slot and then the next x16 slot down unless it is a fairly thin air-ccoler. My cards take up 2.5 slots. So if they werent liquid cooled I couldnt run 2 cards at x16. This is the first board that I ahve seen that does not have the full x16 on a lower connector. Very poorly designed. Which is a shame because there are so many other good design features on these boards.
post #2117 of 3145
other boards only have 2 x16 slots but they alternate them so 16 8 16 8 such as the asus X99 pro...

post #2118 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

other boards only have 2 x16 slots but they alternate them so 16 8 16 8 such as the asus X99 pro...

Right. Thats what I was trying to say...that they shouldve been alternated. My AMD Crosshair V F-Z had them alternated. Actually, I think all my ASUS boards did. Ive had and worked with a few other manufacturers boards and I dont think Ivee ever seen the only two true x16 slots being: x16 > x1 > x16 >x1> x8> x1> x8. Its just weird. So if I had two air-cooled Lightnings and bought this board to take advantage of being able to run x16 and x16, I couldnt do it. The cards wouldnt fit. Had they put the other x16 in the E5 slot (roughly about the same distance as most boards' spacings for full x16 lanes) then any card would work; because there isnt a card on the market that has a 4 slot width

Just wondering why MSI didnt alternate them. Its a layout that is easily understood, works universally, and well, just makes everyone's lives a little easier
post #2119 of 3145
The asus design isnt perfect either.
Try figure out how to 3-way in anything other than a full tower smile.gif
post #2120 of 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMatthewStewart View Post

I havent yet because I dont have any way of connecting them in that small of an area. I have to find the other serial connector.

You know what doesnt makes sense? Even if the bottom card in E5 is plugged in to the pcie (but without power cables to the card), shouldnt the top card still always be running at x16 on a 40 lane cpu? Im using the 5930k

Slots one & four run 16x. (If you have a 40 lane CPU) 2-Way SLI. You can then run a M.2 @ full speed. If you run three way SLI with a 40 lane, the M.2 will drop down to 2x. The cards will run 16x, 16x & 8x
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club