Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon 860K, any one picking it up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Athlon 860K, any one picking it up? - Page 243

post #2421 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by VordaVor View Post

My system is clearly an exception to that rule. Yesterday I reverted from BIOS version I regularly use, 1101 (second Godavari version), to 0903 (last Kaveri version), just to check what I could pull with OC.

First thing I noticed: CPU NB OC-ing is bugged as hell. ANY value besides "Auto" and the PC would not boot, with "Overclocking failed message". Even if I manually enter the default value, 1800, it still can't boot, unless I set to Auto. My NB OC on 1101 version is 2100 btw.

Second: My chip is very poor overclocker on any BIOS version it looks like. I couldn't get stable 42x without going 1.5v, that stayed the same, however I got to 41x lower by 0,012v, but I bet with few days to test I would get random freezes, which would force me to bump voltage, as it has happened before.

Note that this is for Crossblade ranger mobos.

I would gladly test newer BIOS versions, but I don't want to search the internet for days on ways to "revert to older bios version" in case I don't like the new one.
those Asus ranger boards are pretty cool boards i had gotten bored and found i wanted to try my gigabyte one click OC, turned off turbo and cool and quiet, it runs pretty good 1.39v @4GHz. technically though, with my stock cooler a real overclock just isnt reasonable all i really did was use the stock clocks 3.7-4.00 lol
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 x4 ATHLON 860K F2A88X-UP4 AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Crucial Technology  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
crucial M500 ssd 480 Gb coolermaster evo 212 WINDOWS 10 PRO samsung sync masters 3840x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
corsair k70 cherry blue EVGA supernova 650 G2 gold full modular recycled case from prime systems Mionix naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudio
evo-g evolution gaming razer black shark 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 x4 ATHLON 860K F2A88X-UP4 AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Crucial Technology  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
crucial M500 ssd 480 Gb coolermaster evo 212 WINDOWS 10 PRO samsung sync masters 3840x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
corsair k70 cherry blue EVGA supernova 650 G2 gold full modular recycled case from prime systems Mionix naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudio
evo-g evolution gaming razer black shark 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2422 of 3195
@VordaVor that scythe coolers are pretty bad asss have you seen the evga air coolers they are bout the same price point but i might have to match you and stay with an air cooler till i can really do a build
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 x4 ATHLON 860K F2A88X-UP4 AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Crucial Technology  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
crucial M500 ssd 480 Gb coolermaster evo 212 WINDOWS 10 PRO samsung sync masters 3840x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
corsair k70 cherry blue EVGA supernova 650 G2 gold full modular recycled case from prime systems Mionix naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudio
evo-g evolution gaming razer black shark 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 x4 ATHLON 860K F2A88X-UP4 AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Crucial Technology  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
crucial M500 ssd 480 Gb coolermaster evo 212 WINDOWS 10 PRO samsung sync masters 3840x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
corsair k70 cherry blue EVGA supernova 650 G2 gold full modular recycled case from prime systems Mionix naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudio
evo-g evolution gaming razer black shark 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2423 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by VordaVor View Post

My system is clearly an exception to that rule. Yesterday I reverted from BIOS version I regularly use, 1101 (second Godavari version), to 0903 (last Kaveri version), just to check what I could pull with OC.

First thing I noticed: CPU NB OC-ing is bugged as hell. ANY value besides "Auto" and the PC would not boot, with "Overclocking failed message". Even if I manually enter the default value, 1800, it still can't boot, unless I set to Auto. My NB OC on 1101 version is 2100 btw.

Second: My chip is very poor overclocker on any BIOS version it looks like. I couldn't get stable 42x without going 1.5v, that stayed the same, however I got to 41x lower by 0,012v, but I bet with few days to test I would get random freezes, which would force me to bump voltage, as it has happened before.

Note that this is for Crossblade ranger mobos.

I would gladly test newer BIOS versions, but I don't want to search the internet for days on ways to "revert to older bios version" in case I don't like the new one.

What is the defaut VID of your CPU ? Each is different depending of the lottery... Check it Advanced Bios Menu / CPU Configuration
The bios releases over Asus FM2+ are almost sync. The NB overclock issue on 860K was solved with Bios release on April 2015 (should be 1002 for the crossblade)

So from my own experience I would keep either April 1002 or May 1101 bios. All the next Bios from Sept.2015 were buggy on my A88XM Plus, and introduce impossiblity to revert back. My issues only got solved with the last bios release.....
post #2424 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl1979 View Post

What is the defaut VID of your CPU ? Each is different depending of the lottery... Check it Advanced Bios Menu / CPU Configuration
The bios releases over Asus FM2+ are almost sync. The NB overclock issue on 860K was solved with Bios release on April 2015 (should be 1002 for the crossblade)

So from my own experience I would keep either April 1002 or May 1101 bios. All the next Bios from Sept.2015 were buggy on my A88XM Plus, and introduce impossiblity to revert back. My issues only got solved with the last bios release.....

My CPU default VID is 1412mV.

I always wondered which one of those two fixed the NB bug. At the time I upgraded from 903, 1011 was newest so I went with that and I can't find an issue with it and still use it.

Have you tried using some non-Asus bios tools to force an older update ?
post #2425 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspawnagain View Post

@VordaVor that scythe coolers are pretty bad asss have you seen the evga air coolers they are bout the same price point but i might have to match you and stay with an air cooler till i can really do a build

Haven't been keeping up with coolers lately, as I'm perfectly satisfied with my current one.

The one that I have, when it comes to cooling is in line with the popular Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo. Maybe you can get a good deal on it where you live. Its a great performer and for that price I doubt you will find better.
post #2426 of 3195
Good morning everyone. I just finished bulding my 860k. I'm using ASUS AI Suite 3 to OC because it's my first time OCing and I wanted a base to get an idea of where I can go if I were to use bios settings instead. Just wanted to get the opinion of the group as to how it looks and what I could be doing better/differently.



http://valid.x86.fr/g881hk
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2427 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by stublehustle View Post

Good morning everyone. I just finished bulding my 860k. I'm using ASUS AI Suite 3 to OC because it's my first time OCing and I wanted a base to get an idea of where I can go if I were to use bios settings instead. Just wanted to get the opinion of the group as to how it looks and what I could be doing better/differently.



http://valid.x86.fr/g881hk

That's a really good OC for 860K, especially if it is stable. Can you pass a run of IBT w/AVX?
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2428 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by VordaVor View Post

My CPU default VID is 1412mV.

I always wondered which one of those two fixed the NB bug. At the time I upgraded from 903, 1011 was newest so I went with that and I can't find an issue with it and still use it.

Have you tried using some non-Asus bios tools to force an older update ?

I also got a VID of 1.41v. I run now at 4.2Ghz with offset at +0.0065 and LLC high. The best I can get under 1.5v voltage is 4.3Ghz with +0.05V offset and LLC on high.

I did not tried any other tool to downgrade bios. didn't want to explain my wife why I needed to buy a new mainboard (note : do not try to change your CPU cooler after drinking some glasses of red whine)

I had to be patient after I switch to the first bad bios in september , as I needed to add 0.05V more ( first "beta" bios for Carrizo FM2+, if I understood well). As I said I am glad the last update from Asus eventually solved my issue (took them 3 months...)
Edited by syl1979 - 1/27/16 at 9:07pm
post #2429 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by stublehustle View Post

Good morning everyone. I just finished bulding my 860k. I'm using ASUS AI Suite 3 to OC because it's my first time OCing and I wanted a base to get an idea of where I can go if I were to use bios settings instead. Just wanted to get the opinion of the group as to how it looks and what I could be doing better/differently.



http://valid.x86.fr/g881hk
Those don't look much different from my manual settings. You got 89 more MHZ at a lower vcore (I set it for 1.5325 manually, which is about 1.51 effective). If that's stable, then the AISuite did a great job tuning your system. It doesn't usually work that well.

Test it for stability, and if it passes, see if you can squeeze a few more MHz out of it or maybe run a little lower vcore and stay stable. You're already doing great.

Where's that Intel troll from last week who said the A88X-PRO wasn't any good because it wasn't a ROG board? kookoo.gif
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2430 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

Where's that Intel troll from last week who said the A88X-PRO wasn't any good because it wasn't a ROG board? kookoo.gif
lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VordaVor View Post

Second: My chip is very poor overclocker on any BIOS version it looks like. I couldn't get stable 42x without going 1.5v, that stayed the same, however I got to 41x lower by 0,012v, but I bet with few days to test I would get random freezes, which would force me to bump voltage, as it has happened before.
So I suppose the sample itself never changes characteristics despite BIOS updates and such.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon 860K, any one picking it up?